Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

at least you've got the first of it over with... In a way Im looking forward to getting started.. Closer to finishing it then :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Good luck to everyone taking schols. Whatever happens don't get too disheartened and keep giving it your best. I had one absolutely God awful exam (as in I thought there was a chance I could have failed), but it went poorly for everyone and they were all marked up! Some lecturers are unsure of the difficulty to set the papers at and so they can vary quite a lot, but just remember that its not the end of the world if one exam doesnt go right - people have gotten schols while failing one exam before.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone taking schols. Whatever happens don't get too disheartened and keep giving it your best. I had one absolutely God awful exam (as in I thought there was a chance I could have failed), but it went poorly for everyone and they were all marked up! Some lecturers are unsure of the difficulty to set the papers at and so they can vary quite a lot, but just remember that its not the end of the world if one exam doesnt go right - people have gotten schols while failing one exam before.

Cheers... Keeps the spirits up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Thanks for the well wishes.

But, for the record, you can't get schols if you fail an exam, and exemptions will only be granted on a subject by subject basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Does that not depend entirely on the department?

• Advertisement

obl wrote: »
    But, for the record, you can't get schols if you fail an exam, and exemptions will only be granted on a subject by subject basis.

It entirely depends on the course. Exemptions were all or nothing for me despite my course being split between two depts. In other cases its a subject by subject thing.

And when I say people, I mean I've heard of one particular incident. AFAIK the dept have some discretion as to who they put forward for schols. Of course, I could also have got it wrong.

Yeah, AFAIK in CS it's all or nothing for exemptions. And I mean, the exams don't directly correspond to individual courses.

Exemptions are never (again as far as I am aware) given for individual courses. However, in Science for example you can get exemptions in individual subjects (i.e. if taking physics, maths and chemistry, you can get exemptions in each individually - well two of them anyway cause that's all you take for schols).
    I had one exam for each course in maths, and two general physics papers (the same papers the physics people took), however I couldnt get exemptions in just physics - only overall.

In engineering its all or nothing too... Once you get over the 60% average you get exemptions.
    Dont know how failing an exam comes in to it... Presumably if you fail an exam, thats pretty much it.. Dont know about compensation at all

A scholar surely shouldn't fail an exam...

• Advertisement

Unless it's a Hardware Practical....

obl wrote: »
    A scholar surely shouldn't fail an exam...

Scholars are not some kind of uber smart genii, Christ knows I amn't. They are merely people who have done well in a particular set of exams. Don't put them on a pedestal.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Scholars are not some kind of uber smart genii, Christ knows I amn't. They are merely people who have done well in a particular set of exams. Don't put them on a pedestal.

It was a sarcastic comment. In reality, they are human beings, but, y'know, in theory...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I signed up for schols ages ago with some friends on a whim. I quickly realised that I had no interest whatsoever in doing schols. Fast foward to today and i've done nothing. I'm going away on the week schols is on(i.e next week). What will happen when i don't turn up?

nothing.. you will fail the exams tho....
    Just means you have to sit the summer exams..

It brings the class average in the exams down... Thats why they allow people to withdraw....

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I signed up for schols ages ago with some friends on a whim. I quickly realised that I had no interest whatsoever in doing schols. Fast foward to today and i've done nothing. I'm going away on the week schols is on(i.e next week). What will happen when i don't turn up?

There may be reprocussions if you were the only one sitting a particular paper. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

If a lecturer had to write a paper just for you, they will hate you if you miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

You've all put me in a mood to study now, even though I'm too old to do schols now.
    All I need now is the smell of grass and the sound of kids playing football in a far off field.A bee passes the window.....I wonder where he's going........STUDY!
    NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I can't believe I toasted in a Schols bread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

studystudystudystudystudystudystudy

need to spend less time thinking about what i still need to learn and more time LEARNING what I still need to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

I would like to wish all those doing schols over the next 3 weeks the very best.

You may not realise it but your friends/classmates/family have a huge respect for you and your drive to take on the challenge that is schols. In my opinion congrats on getting to the start line and good luck in the race, hmmm I think I shall insert some sport-speak here such as, pace yourself, continue to the end, don't give up, eat bananas!

Never forget what Mr. Wilde said -

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught"

:)

Good Luck,
    Randomness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

Alright Logic, let's ****ing have you.

Bloody Critical and Cultural theory!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Bloody Critical and Cultural theory!!!

Now that's just blasphemous, it's so much fun! If there's nothing I can work Foucault (<3) into I'm gonna cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Some good luck vibes to you all. Remember to keep eating well, and at regular times. Don't want any blood sugar dips or spikes going on. Get decent regular sleep too. These things will actually help you do well, unless you want to do serious night-before-cramming.
    Also, if you were a smoker before and you think you can give them up easily enough, I endorse taking it up again for a few weeks.*

*Disclaimer: officially, I do not endorse this.

Liquorice wrote: »
    Now that's just blasphemous, it's so much fun! If there's nothing I can work Foucault (<3) into I'm gonna cry.

Hush, I've been cramming feminist criticism all day, so I hope it gets its usual complement of questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

That is it- Shit is going to get SO real tomorrow morning.

bright, are you taking schols in JF, or did you not change course after all?

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    bright, are you taking schols in JF, or did you not change course after all?

There's a girl in JF French taking schols...

Come on Formal Linguistics, gonna beat the **** out of ya!

• Advertisement

an so it bigins.. well in 11ish hours time..
    Best of luck everyone.. everyone seems to have put in loads of work.. Hope it all goes well :)

Advertisement