Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoom h4 - any good and where to buy?

• 11-11-2007 2:19am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking for a decent audio recorder lately and was advised that the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 was a good punt - although when I went looking for it I found it hard to find and was told (by the good people at Conn's Cameras in Dublin) that the Zoom H2 or H4 were worth a look instead.

Going by what I've read the H4 would certainly be what I'm looking for but I'd like to see if anyone here has had any hands on experience with the device and what they think of it.

I'm also looking for tips on places to buy (online if possible)? It's around €300 in Conn's but the same in dollars on US sites which would be a €100 saving... I can't seem to find anywhere that delivers, though.

Would it be easy to source in New York, if not available online? I know someone going there at the end of the month and could ask them to pick it up while there...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

h4 rules. cheapest is 300 in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Look no further than the Zoom it is all you need. It is easy to use and the playback quality is fantastic. It is also very discreet. I recently tested it by recording some live music played in a sound studio and I have to say for the money and the convenience it provides it is an excellent bit of kit to have.
    I think I'll be buying one myself, and the best price range I have come across so far is 300E. Ps it takes SD flash cards and on test I managed to record 8 mins 44100 cd quality on a 128Mb card. A 2Gb card would hold anyones needs, so yep you have a good piece of hardware there.

Although I will say one thing it does look a bit like a taser, I got some funny looks from security guards in shops while I was 'discreetly' using it.

Oh and where to buy? Ebay and another site provided by another student which I can't recall right now, but if you want I'll post it up? But the price is pretty much the same from the reccomended site which was german I think.

Oh wait got it:http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=zoom

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for that - looks like I'll be getting it once I have the cash.

I'll have relatives going to NY in a week or two and will ask them to keep an eye out just in case, although I doubt they'll find one as it's not something general tech shops would be too likely to carry.

Either way, I'm happy to pay €300 if needs be, still a good price IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A lot of radio stations are starting to use the PMD 660 by Marantz.

It wouldn't have the feature list of the H4, but it's very sturdy and clunky feeling, so more ideal for a radio station for lending out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daka

Hi

I have looked in US and Amazon has a good price... maybe 160 euros:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-ZOO-H4-Handy-Recorder/dp/B000LGA2K6

If you buy from them and send it to an address where your friends will be staying they can bring it back.

I too am doing something similar.... I suspect it is a great unit based on what a pro has told me.

Daka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

A lot of radio stations are starting to use the PMD 660 by Marantz.

It wouldn't have the feature list of the H4, but it's very sturdy and clunky feeling, so more ideal for a radio station for lending out.
    Are there ways that the Marantz has more benefit than the H4 i.e. quality, flexibility etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Haven't tried the H4 yet.. but I am seriously considering getting one since my Edirol went missing on me.

The PMD660 is a very nice piece of kit though... just feels very sturdy. It's a good deal more expensive though and doesn't seem to have the same feature list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

daka wrote: »
    Hi

I have looked in US and Amazon has a good price... maybe 160 euros:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-ZOO-H4-Handy-Recorder/dp/B000LGA2K6

If you buy from them and send it to an address where your friends will be staying they can bring it back.

I too am doing something similar.... I suspect it is a great unit based on what a pro has told me.

Daka

Thanks for that - unfortunately I don't have relatives in the US (they were just there for a week) but do in Canada - might speak to them after Christmas about it and see if there's much they can do regarding it.

Advertisement