Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The In your chair rule.

Options
  • 11-11-2007 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

We use the rule that you must be in your seat before the LAST card is dealt to the button.
    Other places use the rule that you must be in your seat before the 1st card is dealt. Like to get this unified.

Connie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I like the last card.

Apart from anything else it is much more straightforward for the dealer. He deals all the cards and then takes the ones that don't have owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'll probably regret posting this when I'm sober in the morning.

In Vegas MGM I went for a quick ciggie on my Small blind, literally a quick 90 second blast of nicotine after UTG had minraised and there had been mulitple callers. The button folded, I folded, and me and the Button (a fellow smoker/drinker) saw a quick opportunity for a cigarette, a quick chat about general Vegas stuff, male bonding etc.

Suddenly there is a new hand being dealt and we rush back to our table, just about in time we think for the first card arrive at our spots. But No, the dealer has skipped us.

We start complaining in unison, until the dealer points out that the two of us are actually at the wrong table, that our seats we last occupied are about 5feet away !!!.

I know I should have called for a ruling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I like the last card rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

This rule is supposed to be to stop people seeing cards that are dealt as they return to the table. If you are going to have this rule then it should be first card dealt.

The last card rule is pointless you might as well just only muck cards if the player is not in his seat when the action gets to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

Shortstack wrote: »
    This rule is supposed to be to stop people seeing cards that are dealt as they return to the table. If you are going to have this rule then it should be first card dealt.

The last card rule is pointless you might as well just only muck cards if the player is not in his seat when the action gets to him.

Muck when action gets to him is to stop players taking it upon themselves to slow the game down to wait for friends to come back and see their hand. I like the last card too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I actually think the first card is less hassle for dealers. When its the last one you have people running to the table at the last second and arguments that they were or werent in their seat and over hands being live or not. When its the first card there can be no confusion really.

First card ftw imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

I prefer it when the acion gets to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JP Poker

I use last card dealt.

But 1st card would cut down on arguments over player at the table or not.

While were on this rule, what about someone at the table (not in there seat). What should be considered a reasonable distance from the seat.

E.g. Say a player has order a pot of tea and it arrives when the new hand is just about to be dealt. The player gets up from his seat to pay the waiter and put his pot of tea on a chair next to him/her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

JP Poker wrote: »
    I use last card dealt.

But 1st card would cut down on arguments over player at the table or not.

While were on this rule, what about someone at the table (not in there seat). What should be considered a reasonable distance from the seat.

E.g. Say a player has order a pot of tea and it arrives when the new hand is just about to be dealt. The player gets up from his seat to pay the waiter and put his pot of tea on a chair next to him/her?

Well Jp,if your satisfied that the player is not peeking over his opponnents shoulder trying to see his hand,then his hand should be ok. Sometimes we get a bit too strict on rules.

And I understand your point Mike, about the 1st card rule. Thats the rule we had in the club and we also used to quote that it was so that people coming back to the table couldnt see their opponnents cards. But as my members travelled to play different events,the general rule seemed to be in your chair by the last card to the button. We switched to that as I'm a lover of rules unity. I really dont mind which one is in use once we all can agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

i played in the aussie millons a few years ago and i was in big blind i stood up before he dealt the first card to strech myself then sat down when the final card was deat to me only for my cards to be taken from me as i was not sitting in my seat when the dealer started to deal.

now everyone could see wat i was doing but it made no difference as there rules stated u must be seated in your chair or on your seat for your hd to be legit .:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The best way to approach this is to determine what the problem we are trying to fix is, what the rule should be to fix that (if we agree it needs fixing) and then formulate a ruling that does that.

So:

1. What problem are we solving?
    2. Does it need solving?
    3. Whats the best way of solving it?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sadim

tea.lovely:confused:

Advertisement