Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crap resolution in Ireland?

• 11-11-2007 3:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Why is it the resolution for Ireland so crap compared to the UK and Europe? If you zoom into Belfast you can clearly make out cars and people, the Dublin resolution is bollox.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

What Google Earth is very clever at is moving from one image source to another without you really noticing. Keep an eye on the copyright statements that appear on the bottom as you zoom in they change. AFAIK it is just satellite imagery thats used in Ireland while in the UK but definitely in the States Aerial (ie from planes) photography is incorporated giving much better resolution.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

copyright is also why GPS maps for ireland aren't as good as for other countries, you have to get the right GPS other wise you get large white areas which area as useful as a 7th century map with "here be dragons" , thought the 7th centrury map is more entertaining and in the case of Mary Harney's constitiuency more accurate too.

as google get more info it will get better

go to www.dto.ie and check the journey planner at the bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

OMG is it just me or is Ireland gone clearer?:eek: Look at dublin. good Shtuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There are 4 hi-def zones - Cork, Dublin, Wexford between Wexford town and Enniscorthy and a tranch of er Leitrim/Mayo I think! I see Limerick is added, Waterford left out. Typical

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

mike65 wrote: »
    There are 4 hi-def zones - Cork, Dublin, Wexford between Wexford town and Enniscorthy and a tranch of er Leitrim/Mayo I think! I see Limerick is added, Waterford left out. Typical

Mike.

sligo's quite good.

i can see my car and i live in the sticks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why is Sligo countryside Hi-def and a city not? Its a bit misty all the same, London is pin sharp to about 300 metres up

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kilkenny city and surrounds are still muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

BingoBongo wrote: »
    Kilkenny city and surrounds are still muck
    Not anymore, alot of places in ireland are ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Why is it the resolution for Ireland so crap compared to the UK and Europe? If you zoom into Belfast you can clearly make out cars and people, the Dublin resolution is bollox.

Update... 11/10/09 Although Dublin has improved, the vast majority of Ireland is still totally crap, I feel strongly that Ireland is one of the worst areas for low quality resolution in europe, 75% is not worth looking at, I am thinking of removing Google Earth from my computer until it improves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trazix

Check out
    Ordnance Survey Ireland

It's got everything from old 1830's maps of ireland to 2005 aerial photographs of Ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement