Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more than 1 in 10 16 y/o males joins gangs

Options
  • 11-11-2007 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

just read a shoking article on the independents website.
    It tells us that 20% of dublin teens have access to guns.
    More than one in 10 males in the areas surveyed have joined gangs by the time they reach 16, while up to one fifth of the students admitted to having been in contact with a gun in the past six months.

I find these figures kind of worrying for the future of Dublin, I always remember petty crime being very high but gun crime being low looks like that isbeggining to change now though unfortunatly.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/up-to-20--per-cent-of-teens--have-gun--access-1216731.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Access to guns?
    Sure just about every farmers son in rural Ireland has (controlled) access to guns.
    And I'd almost gurantee that the many fruit & veg growers in North Dublin have several guns.

However gangs are different.
    I suppose Ireland manages to copy the worst part of Britain and give it a few years and we'll have gangland shootings on a scale of South London for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Fruit and veg growers have several guns? That's a perplexing statment micmclo. Do they have them to protect their vegies or are fruit growers generally a dodgy bunch. Are we looking at the next generation of crime kings here,cauliflower man,carrot head,all gunning each other down because one undercut anothers carrots by a penny a pound. I can see the headlines,gardai swoop on carrot ring, head honcho,the Swede,taking in for questioning.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you never see attack of the killer tomatoes? I'd want some protection if I was in that line of work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

They only surveyed 158 students. That sample size is way too small (nevermind being hugely biased) to make any absolute statements about the population. You could easily make a statement that up to 100% of Dublin teens have access to guns. I'm sure it's a good indicator for the problems in certain disadvantaged areas but it can't be applied to Dublin as a whole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Indo publishing unreliable information based on rubbishy research? You jest sir...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

dubtom wrote: »
    Fruit and veg growers have several guns?

For huntin' wabbits :D

Advertisement