Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine power problem?

Options
  • 11-11-2007 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'd appreciate feedback on this. We just got a second hand car (the first! :) )

Now I think there might be a problem.

Basically, it's to do with power/acceleration ie. when starting the car from standing, it feels like there is a second delay in power coming through. When I get to the 'top' of first gear with the engine straining to go into second, I change gear and again, there is an almost delay, a lull, before power kicks in again and drives the car forward. The same happens going into third etc.

What's causing this? My gf's dad mentioned that the engine could need 'tuning' but it was completely checked before we got it. The dealership have said to bring it back in and they'll sort it out.

I just want to have an idea of what's going on.

Any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Doubtful it needs 'tuning'. What type of car is it? What type of engine is it? Petrol or Diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

ned78 wrote: »
    Doubtful it needs 'tuning'. What type of car is it? What type of engine is it? Petrol or Diesel?

It's a 1.4litre Petrol 2002 Opel Astra Pearl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Could be loads of things, but Id hedge a bet (as I had these symptoms before) that theres a split in the inlet pipe after your airflow sensor heading into your inlet manifold. See pic attached for where the rubber pipe split on mine. Let us know if its not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Some clutches are restricted so that they dont engage too quickly. Maybe you're just used to dumping the clutch and this is all it is.

Thanks for all the replies.

Car got progressively worse so drove back up the country to the gf's local dealership where we got it.

By the time we got it there, there were random bumping noises coming from the engine as well as the power fluctuations - nice :(

Gonna call them tomorrow. I don't think it was anything dodgy on the dealerships part and I'm sure they'll act honourably (gf's uncle works there).

But it's really disappointing for our first car to not even last the weekend.

Ho - hum. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It could be something as simple as a misfire, or a fuel pump labouring to supply the engine with enough food. The garage will diagnose it, and as your engine is running under the circumstances, I'd assume it's nothing devastating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

People always fear the worst when it comes to a lack of power. It sounds like small problem as stated above. The best thing you did is clock up a few miles on it this weekend. It'll probably help in a speedier diagnosis with the problem. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers guys. Hope so. Will call them tomorrow and tell them what happened.

Hopefully it's nothing serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

coil packs can give up on them, don't think they're too expensive to replace

They can see the power issue but the noise has apparently disappeared....

They're not sure what's going on but have ruled out the exhaust and the catalytic converter.

ps. Mentioned the inlet pipe Andrewf20 but that doesn't appear to the be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yeah, with the noises you mention it defo something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

had an astra with similar probs before, was the fuel pump.

:( Am not happy.

Spoke to mechanic at dealership directly cos the owner didn't seem to know what was going on. Engineer was a decent enough guy.

I mentioned the EGR issue mentioned in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055099082&referrerid=59211

He confirmed that it was a serious issue for Astras and said that was one of the first things they looked at but it was fine.

Said the main problem was the catalytic converter. It was toasted ie. the honey comb insides were dust. This went into the engine. So they'd replaced the converter and had to change spark plugs on the engine as a result of crap getting into the engine.

But he said this only sorted out "70%" of the problem. He acknowledged that there was still a problem with a delay and lack of power. Said he still hadn't found the cause.

Lads, have we gone and bought a total f**king lemon here? Should we try and demand a different car?? Is it possible that this is an isolated curable problem or is this indicative of worse things to come?

Shouldn't a catalytic converter on it's last legs been picked up on the supposedly thorough checks the car went through before getting to us?? :(

And the noises have apparently vanished which makes a bad situation even worse. Would a finished catalytic converter cause noises like that?

had an astra with similar probs before, was the fuel pump.

I'll mention that to them tomorrow. But I presume they'd check that :confused:

Anyone have any advice over what to do now?

Cheers!

As of this morning, there is something wrong beyond the CAT so we've argued, and they've accepted, that we're not taking the car.

So back to square one.

Could've been majorly burned there.

Advertisement