Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with xbox 360 connected to monitor via VKM

• 11-11-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

I bought a VKM 2-port switch to allow me to have my pc and xbox 360 hooked up to the same monitor.

The only problem is that when I have it set up like so:

xbox360 hooked to vkm switch via vga cable
    pc hooked to vkm using vga cable
    console port on vkm hooked to monitor

Monitor plugged in to mains

When I power up the pc, no problems, monitor "on" indicator turns green, windows loads all is well.

However when I switch to the other "pc" option on the vkm (where the xbox 360 is connected), the monitor goes into power save mode (when I press the monitor menu button it says so)

The monitor is a Dell 15" E153FP. There is nothing in its menu system related to power save options.

I would have assumed because its connected to the mains it would be on - that it is not dependent on the PC

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try - or have I made a balls of my setup?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

strange update - if i remove the VKM and just plug the xbox into the monitor directly it works

I have checked the VKM and its working perfectly - so I guess a vkm isnt the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

something like a vd-z3 or x2vga would work.

With component cable from xbox to vga box to monitor via VGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I have my 360 and 2 PCs running through a Belkin 4-port KVM with no real problems, so it can be done. Perhaps your KVM is looking for a keyboard or mouse connection, and a VGA connection is not enough for it to detect that the 360 is there? What kind of connectors does it have for the keyboard/mouse? If it's USB then you should be able to hook that up to the 360 and then you can use the keyboard with the 360 too. It's also possible to hook it up to the keyboard and mouse ports if they're the older PS/2 ports (that's what mine's like).

Ciarán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ceejay wrote: »
    I have my 360 and 2 PCs running through a Belkin 4-port KVM with no real problems, so it can be done. Perhaps your KVM is looking for a keyboard or mouse connection, and a VGA connection is not enough for it to detect that the 360 is there? What kind of connectors does it have for the keyboard/mouse? If it's USB then you should be able to hook that up to the 360 and then you can use the keyboard with the 360 too. It's also possible to hook it up to the keyboard and mouse ports if they're the older PS/2 ports (that's what mine's like).

Ciarán.

yeah it turns out that its looking for something in the ps/2 ports - but alas in my haste I have usb mouse and keyboard, so am returning the KVM for something a lot simpler (which basically will actually just switch and isnt dependant on mouse/keyboards)

Advertisement