Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat Ibiza: Radio keeps turning itself on and wasting battery!

• 11-11-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows/has experienced this problem before.

When the engine is turned off, the radio decides to tun itself back on and subsequently running the battery flat!

Its a '00 ibiza in pretty good condition. At wits end trying to figure what is wrong!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It would seem that the radio hasn't been wired through the ignition switch or has a fault in the wiring. Is it an aftermarket fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Try a replacement unit from a friend for a night, and see if the same happens. It's either the wiring, or the radio itself. You'd have a new CD player in for less than 100 Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

No it is the seat ibiza headunit. It was not replaced. Would it be possible that the wire is just loose?

and this would cause the problem?
    Thanks for the reply!

ned78 wrote: »
    Try a replacement unit from a friend for a night, and see if the same happens. It's either the wiring, or the radio itself. You'd have a new CD player in for less than 100 Euro.

I will try this now. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Is this the standard seat radio and heater control combined unit?
    If so, this is a common problem. The fault is in the actual control unit. Expensive new and difficult to find used. If you pull the radio fuse it will stop the battery drain. you could get someone to wire in a switch on the supply.

• Advertisement

Is this the standard seat radio and heater control combined unit?
    If so, this is a common problem. The fault is in the actual control unit. Expensive new and difficult to find used. If you pull the radio fuse it will stop the battery drain. you could get someone to wire in a switch on the supply.

Its a combined seat radio and heater so i cant actually replace the radio!!

Im just having a look in the book here and it doesnt mention which fuse is the radio one. Have you any idea?

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Its a combined seat radio and heater so i cant actually replace the radio!!

Im just having a look in the book here and it doesnt mention which fuse is the radio one. Have you any idea?

If you have the book check it the index at the back under "F" for fuses. Failing that i think it should be fuse 29 which is blue (15A)

If you have the book check it the index at the back under "F" for fuses. Failing that i think it should be fuse 29 which is blue (15A)

Yes! it was 29 ..and blue.. thanks!

So do you think the whole unit has to be replaced or is there an alternative?

Because its a common fault used units are not easy to source and could give trouble anyway. I dont know of anyone who has ever looked into fixing them. The power supply comes from that fuse you just found so you could get someone to wire a relay into it to break the circuit when the ignition is off. Very simple to do.

Thanks very much for the advice.

I think i will do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Ellfish

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the advice.

I think i will do that.

Hi neil, just wondering did you go ahead and fit the relay? Did it work. Appreciate any info on it - or did you just replace the whole unit?
    I am having the same problem and would love to hear what you did to fix yours.
    Very hard to source a second hand one. Grrrrr.

Thanks dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

have same problem with our ibiza. Iam happy enough just pulling out the fuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

www.carhifiservices.com in the uk repair them for £72.49, not sure if anyone in Ireland does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

I did the Relay trick on a 99 ibiza. Easy enough. Relay, a few spade connectors and scotchlok connectors, small bit of wiring. I installed it near to the fuse board. You need to identify the main power to the radio and a cable that is controlled by the ignition switch. A 12v car voltage tester could help.

Advertisement