Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A sad day for Onkle

Options
  • 11-11-2007 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

Well I had just about the best company car I've ever had, a TDI golf(2003, 150bhp), full leather sun-roof, gti alloys, a little beaut. About 1500 miles ago it was serviced by an indy my fleet company uses and according to VW now the indy put semi-synthetic oil into the car and have fooked it right up. On Friday it sounded like the exhaust had blown but on further inspection it was a banging coming from the engine, car sounds very sick indeed. And this was my last couple of weeks with this car as I'm getting my new car on the 26th of this month........ My poor car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Is the indy getting shafted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well it's back with him now, I'll know more tomorrow. Indy guy is actually sound and from what I've been told is if it was one of his guys that fooked up then he will fix it without a quibble. Thats why I didn't mention his name or location ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Suppose they are human like most of us. I grieved when I sold my last car, a Fiesta. Its only when its gone that the tears come out. Never even got to see her off as I was in work when she was picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What are they giving you next though? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Suppose they are human like most of us. I grieved when I sold my last car, a Fiesta. Its only when its gone that the tears come out. Never even got to see her off as I was in work when she was picked up.
    Thats just a typical from this forum, a fookin fiesta. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Let me get his straight. You cried? for a Fiesta?

For the love of god man, pull yourself together!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Onkle wrote: »
    About 1500 miles ago it was serviced by an indy my fleet company uses and according to VW now the indy put semi-synthetic oil into the car and have fooked it right up.

I don't see how having semi synthetic in the engine for 1500 miles would fcuk it up. Remember that VWs can run on semi synthetic once the oil is changed at 10,000 intervals. It sounds to me like there's a little bit more to it than just the wrong oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I wouldn't have thought that using semi synthetic instead of presumably fully synthetic could have damaged your engine at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Would the fact that it's a diesel make any difference?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

esel wrote: »
    ^ Would the fact that it's a diesel make any difference?

No - it shouldn't - unless the oil used was not up to VW diesel standard for 10k intervals. Most semi synthetics are up to the job.

I suppose the next question to the Op is : what brand of oil was put into the engine?

• Advertisement

I've no idea what oil they put in. VW garage reckon the damage was done by putting wrong oil in the car, but we all know how excellent VW mechanics are in this country ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Such a pity. That's a beaut of a car. I couldn't part with my baby last time out. Gave it to the trouble and strife.Sold her Ibiza. Gave her my VW Bora TDI 130bhp (chipped from 100bhp). 90k on the clock and running like a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm not buying the wrong oil story, either. There's more to this than meets the eye............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

VW garage reckon the damage was done by putting wrong oil in the car

I doubt it. But whaddayoucare? Your Mark IV Golf was cack in fairness. Even the 1.9 diesel engine belonged firmly in the last century. And now a brand new car is on the way to you. Happy days, Onkle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm getting my new car on the 26th of this month........ My poor car

Bigger question should be, why the heck are you getting a new company car so late in the year?

R.O.R wrote: »
    Bigger question should be, why the heck are you getting a new company car so late in the year?

Well I've chosen the golf again and there is a price increase in January so it makes sense for them to buy it now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Well I've chosen the golf again and there is a price increase in January so it makes sense for them to buy it now

Golf Price increase is only a few hundred quid. The difference in re-sale value will be much more than that for a vehicle coming back so late in the year in 3 or 4 years time. If your company buy the cars then they are wasting money, if they take finance they'll be paying the additional depreciation in monthly costs.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Golf Price increase is only a few hundred quid. The difference in re-sale value will be much more than that for a vehicle coming back so late in the year in 3 or 4 years time. If your company buy the cars then they are wasting money, if they take finance they'll be paying the additional depreciation in monthly costs.

They lease from a fleet company, resale values aren't really taken into consideration as far as i can see. Anyway mileage will be huge after 3 years anyway

Advertisement