Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Statoil Ushers Quay

Options
  • 11-11-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

We all know its daylight robbery for petrol there, no one in their right mind would fill up at 179.9 C/L (not joking), I have often wondered how they are still in business, I found out last night.

I stopped off there to go to the shop, there were 3 Gardai cars filling up , one of the guards was paying for his petrol on his (i presume) Company credit card, I joked with him about the price and said that there must be a huge guardai fleet discount for the petrol, he laughed and showed me his reciept, E105 to fill a mondeo:eek: No discount at all, all the guards in the city centre use that station!

Good to see the taxpayers money being put to good use, no wonder the statoil charges so much, you'd think they would at least make an effort to use a regular pertol station or have pumps installed in the station yard!

Bloody disgrace.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

its also the first petrol station foreigners see when they drive off the ferry heading pretty much any direction in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

majority of them use the statoil fuel card, which you get a set fee (x cent per litre) for petrol every month, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This again?:rolleyes:

They dont pay the full rate. Even with the normal statoil fuel card that us joe public have , it shows the full amounts on the receipt. The individual statoil garge prints a standard receipt like a cc one, the discount is done later and shows on your monthly statement. This has been covered plenty of times.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A statoil card is a discounted price to whats on the pumps. But you do not pay a fixed price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As above, the gardai have an account so it'd be pretty easy to give a discount later.

Maybe there should be one sticky thread on this station, it seems pretty popular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fur fupps sake stop posting about this garage! Or at least do a search.

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Their contract with Statoil is up the end of the year & they wont be renewing it.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

As I said at the begining of my mini rant, we all know it's a rip off! I'm well aware it's been covered before.
    My point was; The guard wasn't using a fuel card, it was a credit card, he told me there was no discount, I'd be surprised if they recredited individual credit cards with the discount price.
    That, and the Guard told me thats what they pay, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they paid the full 179.9 c/l

Mike65, bit cheeky telling me what not too post, if you're not careful I'm going to start another Alfa thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

WE have a Charter ban on "Fog Lights" threads.

Methinks it's time to have a ban on "Statoil Ushers Quay" threads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Victor_M wrote: »
    As I said at the begining of my mini rant, we all know it's a rip off! I'm well aware it's been covered before.
    My point was; The guard wasn't using a fuel card, it was a credit card, he told me there was no discount, I'd be surprised if they recredited individual credit cards with the discount price.
    That, and the Guard told me thats what they pay, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they paid the full 179.9 c/l

Mike65, bit cheeky telling me what not too post, if you're not careful I'm going to start another Alfa thread.

You said he was paying with a company (garda/government) credit card. He isnt getting that bill, he doesnt know what price is being paid. They dont pay full price and unless he was up to something and paying with his own card then they will be getting a discount.

Theres plenty of people working various jobs in all walk of life who think they know how everything works and the ins and outs of things that are done above their head (fuel contracts being a good example) but in reality know very little. There a percentage of these people who like to let on to outsiders that they know everything. I'm betting you met one of these. That or he was ****ing
    with you.

While we're ranting, why can't people turn off their fo....................:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Victor_M wrote: »

Twas a Pavlovian reaction I had no control! :o

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

;) fair enough, I know it's been done to death, it's my fisrt 'first hand' experience with the place and I was fuming leaving & it was too late to ring Joe Duffy last night:D so I had to get it off my chest here this morning. No more Statioil,Alfa or Fog light threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

koolkid wrote: »
    A statoil card is a discounted price to whats on the pumps. But you do not pay a fixed price.
    With the 'Ordinary Joe Public' Benchmark Motorcard, it is a fixed price, set on a weekly basis.
    For example, the card price this week (November 08th to November 15th) for petrol is 118.00 cents.

If I fuel up in this station today, that's the price I'll be paying at the end of the month. The statement I'll get from the shop will show their pump price, but that's not what I'll be paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

noblestee wrote: »
    its also the first petrol station foreigners see when they drive off the ferry heading pretty much any direction in the country.
    Which ferry? Dublin Port? Are you forgetting the ESSO on East Wall Road? It's about 4 miles closer than ushers Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Victor_M, search is working again! Type in "Ushers quay" into the search and you will find about 5 threads, started in the last few months alone, about the crazy price of petrol charged over there
    Methinks it's time to have a ban on "Statoil Ushers Quay" threads! :D

I'm tempted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Rovi wrote: »
    If I fuel up in this station today, that's the price I'll be paying at the end of the month. The statement I'll get from the shop will show their pump price, but that's not what I'll be paying.

Yup, I filled up there before using my fuel card. Got charged something like €70 at the till, but ended up paying about €40 on the invoice.

I'm sure there were lots of indignant people passing me buy as I filled up thinking "Will you look at that fecking eejit. Wait till the folks on boards.ie here about this" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    Which ferry? Dublin Port? Are you forgetting the ESSO on East Wall Road? It's about 4 miles closer than ushers Quay.

Long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I heard on the radio that the Statoil branding will be taken off this station in the near future (next year). Statoil have a contract with the station that won't be renewed.

Wonder will this affect the Motorcard users?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Probably, unless it becomes a Shell. Shell now accept Statoil fuel cards in Ireland since the same company (Topaz Energy) now holds both franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Statoil themselves have asked the public to boycott the station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stephen wrote: »
    Probably, unless it becomes a Shell. Shell now accept Statoil fuel cards in Ireland since the same company (Topaz Energy) now holds both franchises.

Except its Topaz that have said they'll withdraw its franchise...

When did the East Wall Esso close? Was having a conversation about where to get petrol in the city other than here and it was mentioned (along with the Maxol on the canal near Baggot Street and the Emo in Mount Brown).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There's lots of petrol stations within a few miles. Put in Ushers Quay on http://www.ie.map24.com as the address. It shows petrol stations. James Street is quite close for one thing.

Thats the one I meant by Mount Brown. Its very out of date though, it has the "SCR Garages" statoil on Davitt Road (gone), Thorntons on the actual SCR (gone), and so on.

Also has an apparent Top garage on Amiens Street, this is closed but I believed it was an Esso.

And the Texaco on the Drumcondra Road, also closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's a pity fupping Pumps.ie killed IrishFuelPrices.com by splitting the user base. Now netiher website gets updated because there was not enough mass for two websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Wont be long before there isnt a petrol station within 5 miles and you wont have a choice, well run out & break down in rush hour I suppose.
    If stuck I happily hand over a fiver, enough to get me out of trouble (just) till I reach a real filling station.
    The staff are used to and agree with the complaints about the price.
    So never get more than a fivers worth there.

MarkN wrote: »
    Long gone.
    Okay, but everyone going to the M50 (which is the way to pretty much everywhere in the country!) or the M1 from Dublin Port will not go anywhere NEAR Ushers Quay! I guess that was my point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    Okay, but everyone going to the M50 (which is the way to pretty much everywhere in the country!) or the M1 from Dublin Port will not go anywhere NEAR Ushers Quay! I guess that was my point!

Anyone headed to the West, or South West of the country will pass it. That's Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford. 4 of our cities.

testicle wrote: »
    Anyone headed to the West, or South West of the country will pass it. That's Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford. 4 of our cities.
    I don't know anyone dumb enough to battle with city centre traffic when they could slip onto the country's main motorway right beside the Dublin Port exit, and get to all those locations quicker.
    The M50 is the gateway to everywhere in the country: the M1 (North), The West (exit after the Westlink), The South (M7 / N7), etc, and Dublin Port has a brand spanking new entrance to it!
    And don't think tourists aren't clued up on that, and they drive through Dublin City Centre towards Inchicore out of ignorance... It's the same everywhere: if I don't need to drive through London, I take they M25 AROUND it. Any GPS, AA Routeplanner, or Road Map will make this alternate route obvious. That, and the huge M50 signs people see when exiting Dublin Port.

Hence, the Ushers Quay Statoil is NOT the first filling station people come to when arriving into Dublin Port. Most people don't even go that way anymore. It's not 1989 anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

To be honest, and to quote your very apt name, that's Poppy Cock.

If I arrive in the Port, and want to go to Cork, there is no way in hell, I'm going to head to the Port Tunnel. Paying up to €12 for the privilige of getting to the M1/M50, and then have to crawl along the M50 to the West Link where I have to fork out another €1.90 for the privilige of crossing the Liffey there.

• Advertisement

Admittedly, you know Dublin, which also means you won't spent 179.9 on petrol at that station though... tourists will following the big "M1 M50 N2 N3 N4 N5..." signs.

Advertisement