Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HydroTherapy for dogs prone to Hip Dysplasia

Options
  • 11-11-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

As all you large dog breed owners know, Hip Dysplasia and Joint problems is an all too common ailment for these breeds.

Just wanted to tell ya'll that a good freind (And relative) of mine has recently opened Dublins (And I believe Irelands) first Canine Hydrotherapy Clinic For all dogs. in particular Useful for Large breeds like Rottweiler and German Shepherd which are prone to Hip Displacia.

She lost her Rottweiler a few years ago to this. the dog became so bad it could no longer walk, was in constant pain and as this was a huge dog (13 stone) , it was very difficult to move her. sadly the only option left was to put her asleep.

She could of treated her but unfortunatly the facilaties were not available in Ireland, and transporting this dog out of the country was simply impossable in her state.

This could of been avoided had there been adequate facilaties available over here, so she made it a mission to make it happen herself so no one else's dog should have to go through this ordeal.

I seen this place for the first time recently and was blown away, It's an impressive clinic.
    Its good to know that there are people out there willing to go to great lenghts to help animals.

Take a look at the website to find out more about the Clinic, Which is located in Coolock.

http://www.aquacanines.eu/

It's also gotta be good for exercising dogs in general, especially older dogs, or dogs recovering from a broken limb. It's not limited to large breeds either, as it was explained to me all dogs can benifit from this.

Anyway I just thought I would spread the word that there is a new clinic in town dedicated to dog health and fitness, of which the latter is often overlooked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

By the way has anyone here had a similar experience with large dogs suffering from joint problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Jimkel wrote: »
    By the way has anyone here had a similar experience with large dogs suffering from joint problems?

I had a gsd years ago who had to be pts when his back legs would no longer hold him up from arthritis,although he was a good age i would have taken him for hydrotherapy had it been available.
    I have a gsd collie cross rescue dog now that had a very badly broken leg when i got her,still has three pins in her elbow.
    She's under three years old but i worry about her future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Parcival my GD has had HT after his Wobbler operation - I got it locally here in Co. Galway ;).

EGAR wrote: »
    Parcival my GD has had HT after his Wobbler operation - I got it locally here in Co. Galway ;).

Then I must be wrong, but it is Dublins first clinic, and its a good thing. Im just letting dog owners know there is more help here for HD. Anyway most dogs going to Participating vets here in Dublin with these Problems will be reffered here anyway for HT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dontdoit

the vet college in ucd has hydrotherapy clinic too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,546 ✭✭✭✭fits

Something like this would definitely have been a help when whippety boy broke his leg...

I reckon theres a market for after-vet care in Ireland too... If I had been working full time, it would have been very difficult to give him the 6-8 short walks a day he needed while recuperating.

dontdoit wrote: »
    the vet college in ucd has hydrotherapy clinic too

Yes I know about that one, but It's not open to the public, so its quite useless to the average dog owner. It's there primaraly for reasearch, it's not a clinic just a hydrotherapy facilaty for the students Study. Dogs are not referred there by vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Had a gsd years ago who we had to pts aged 9. she was blind with cataracts but that didn't stop her running around the garden like a headless chicken! unfortunately, she had a stroke and lost the use of her back legs. She was in agony if we touched her so pts so she wouldn't suffer. broke our hearts...still makes me cry if i think bout it too long. I now have a female GSD pup- Esri (8 months old) and my sis has a male gsd - kesh - who is 2 years...my pup is the same height as him!lol. want her to be in the best health she can be. :)
    would love if they opened more around Ireland as my dog doesn't travel well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Egar,
    Would love to know where Ht pool is in Galway.
    Ami

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

A local GH trainer has it, I asked him nicely and he said no problem ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ljg

Jimkel wrote: »
    Yes I know about that one, but It's not open to the public, so its quite useless to the average dog owner. It's there primaraly for reasearch, it's not a clinic just a hydrotherapy facilaty for the students Study. Dogs are not referred there by vets.

I am a little late in joining this conversation but only just came across the thread. I would like to set the record straight as the above poster has been mis-informed. The Canine Hydrotherapy and Mobility Clinic in the Veterinary Hospital in UCD was opened in 2006 and was the first of its kind to be established in the Republic. It is open to the public by referral from your vet, as all reputable hydrotherapy clinics should be. It is not, nor ever has been used for research. It is a busy working clinic run by a Registered Veterinary Nurse who is also a canine hydrotherapist and human Physical Therapist. Hundreds of dogs with a wide variety of clinical conditions and injuries have been successfully rehabilitated there. Vets from all over Ireland have referred their patients to this clinic. Staff at the clinic are always happy to talk to dog owners who think their pet may benefit from hydrotherapy. I just thought I should clarify this so there is no confusion!

Advertisement