Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Switching to 4x4??

Options
  • 11-11-2007 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi guys, haven't posted in a while but here goes,

I have a TDI passat - it's driving me crazy - variety of problems - brakes, water pump, sump,alternator bracket snapped etc etc. I want it gone. I'm thinking seriously of switching to a 4x4. I live in Offaly and regularly tow trailers before the anti-jeep lobby ask about "do you really need it". What i want to know is are they a reasonable day to day driver? I do heavy enough miles (25000), but performance is not an issue. I've checked insurance and tax and they're ok. My only concern is fuel costs. I'm looking at a 99 Pajero 2.5TD but see conflicting mpg figures online. Does anyone have experience of these or similar machines (Trooper etc)?

Thanks in advance

Frog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Brother in law has just bought an 03 landcruiser, thirsty animal... 30ish normal driving without a trailer..
    bam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Yep dear enough - I have a 3.2 Auto Pajero and :eek: (compared to the Passat I used to have).

Mind you, it's a lovely motor to drive and costs no more to run than the wife's MPV.

Just weigh up the pros & cons for your own lifestyle. 4X4's good for filling up with "stuff" loads of room, good for towing heavy "stuff", good for not getting stuck in the snow/ice/mud/flooding and all other crap the Irish weather delivers. But a complete pain in the arse to park in town/city centres.

I have been told by people much more cleverer than me that the 2.5 Pajero is very under powered for towing. Another option it to get a 3.2 Shogun equiv from UK, possible proof of this is that Mitz no loger offer the 2.5 for the Pajero, they are all 3.2 now.

I know a couple of lads with 2004 Landcruisers and they can't praise them enough - but they are quite pricey. I think they are a 3.0L.

Funny thing is, I believed all the guff about how reliable & great Passat's are and I had nothing but trouble with mine as well, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Good luck with your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just promise you won't put bullbars on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Yeah a 'cruiser would be my first choice but they are pricey. But that's because they're good I suppose. Was lloking at that power issue with the 2.5 pajero - it's only 97bhp, which might account for that - The quandry deepens!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Keep in mind tax will be going up for the likes of jeeps in the new year thanks to Gormley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Kermitt wrote: »
    Yeah a 'cruiser would be my first choice but they are pricey. But that's because they're good I suppose. Was lloking at that power issue with the 2.5 pajero - it's only 97bhp, which might account for that - The quandry deepens!!

97BHP!!! Ouch......My 3.2 is 170BHP.

Also, just watching RTE news while typing this & there is a lot a of squawking about putting up road tax for large motors in the new year - especially SUV/4X4's

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They also described "anything 1.6 litres and up" as large. ****wits :rolleyes:

What about the Suzuki Grand Vitara?? Are these just a token 4x4 or are they decent enough ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Suzuki Grand Vitara is a "proper" 4 X 4.

Engines are that bit smaller (1.6 petrol and 2.0 diesel on the older ones), therefore towing weights aren't massive

Thanks... How about the diesel consumption on the 2L TD ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

don't know ..never had one

Advertisement