Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assassin's Creed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

WellyJ wrote: »
    Its a lot more fun that single player Halo 3.

Its not even fair on Halo to compare them to be honest.

Im the same as Sapper. Bought mine Friday and traded it in yesterday. Soooooo slow and boring compared to Halo and COD. Those monologues are desperate and you have to sit through them. Then you have to walk to the bed or the chair. FFS thats just brutal when you could be off blowing the head off some arab/russian/american/master chief/brute/grunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,025 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Excellent-e!

GameSenders.ie just sent me a copy today so will let you know my views later in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

sapper wrote: »
    What a woeful woeful game! Theres more monologues in this then there is in an entire year of Jay Leno - it's so boring listening to all that waffle

"Are you seriously trying to make the world a better place? Don't you see? Thats exactly what we are trying to do!" wtf! I know theres a writers strike on, but seriously could they not get someone qualified to write the script?The voice acting from the lead is brutal too. Is anyone actually listening to what they say? (or for that matter reading the letters etc that you pickpocket?).

The problem is, there is no "game" in this game, unless you call watching lovely animation genuine fun. Prince of Persia had the great platforming+rewind function, with some points that you had to try over an over again to get right - the "just one more go" hook. In this game you see an enemy below you, target him and press x to watch a lovely animated stabbing in the neck from start to finish - lovely to look at but not much skill involved. If you see an enemy below you in halo 3, you select your weapon, leap up in the air, target your enemy and shoot him all the way down and when you land land a perfectly timed melee in the back of his head - much more skill, much more satisfaction.

This game isn't hard, theres no "just one more go" to it. You just go through the motions - beautifully animated though they are - listen to a lot of waffle that can't be skipped, walk and leap around the lovely environments and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Why spend 2 hours playing this when 20 mins of Halo/COD is 10 times more fun?

Fcuk me i love a good rant, nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

bucks73 wrote: »
    Soooooo slow and boring compared to Halo and COD.

And yet it's incredibly fast paced when you compare it to minesweeper. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Im the same as Sapper. Bought mine Friday and traded it in yesterday.

How much did you get for it?

• Advertisement

Gamestop gave me €38 for it and €22 for Blue Dragon so got The Orange Box.

Had bought it in Virgin for €55 and got Blue Dragon in console bundle so worked out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Gamestop gave me €38 for it and €22 for Blue Dragon so got The Orange Box.

Had bought it in Virgin for €55 and got Blue Dragon in console bundle so worked out well.

Nice, another FPS :rolleyes:

You gonna find time to play it between COD and Halo? :D

Is that EUR38 cash or store credit? That's not bad if it's cash....

I'm happy with just Halo and COD until GTA comes along next year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

store credit obviously if he traded.

Yeah had the orange box in my hand and said I was trading so dont know if it was cash also.

• Advertisement

WellyJ wrote: »
    You gonna find time to play it between COD and Halo? :D

Gonna be tough. Might have to have a few late ones and just do feck all in work the day after. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Couple of questions...do you just kill the nine guys or is there side-missions aswell?? im guessing its a longish game because i dont see anybody here having it complete yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

ciano1 wrote: »
    Couple of questions...do you just kill the nine guys or is there side-missions aswell?? im guessing its a longish game because i dont see anybody here having it complete yet

I completed in a day and half and I did all the side missions. The only thing I didn't do was collect all the flags. I did everything in the
    present
    and the only thing I didn't do was collect all the flags although I collected any of the ones I saw.

If you take your time and have some fun with the game, you can make it last. If you're playing it intently, determined to finish it then you won't enjoy it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I enjoyed it and took my time, I just had nothing better to do. It was a good game, just not the best game ever.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you loved Prince of Persia, you will like this as its got a similar feel. Its no where near as good imho, but its already feels quite fun to me. The complaints above are valid but exagerated imho. The cut sequences are pretty badly written but not so awful that I wanted to stop playing.

Its not a POP replacement but its got enough in common that it will appeal to people who really liked POP. Its not a FPS, if you want a fps try COD4 or Bioshock looks amazing.

You wouldnt go out to buy a pizza and come home with a spanner and then complain its crunchy.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Im the same as Sapper. Bought mine Friday and traded it in yesterday. Soooooo slow and boring compared to Halo and COD. Those monologues are desperate and you have to sit through them. Then you have to walk to the bed or the chair. FFS thats just brutal when you could be off blowing the head off some arab/russian/american/master chief/brute/grunt.

Ill get on the phone to Ubisoft, tell them to make their games all cookie cutter FPS's from now on, k?
    Never fear, youll never be bored by a game that doesnt instantly have you killing rag heads again!

WTF did you expect from a game set in the bloody crusades?? AK-47s? Rocket propelled ****ing grenades? LAZERS?? Perhaps a tactical nuke?

Jesus Christ the lack of imagination from some gamers these days is just shockin, if it isnt all bang bang cod 4 im a gunnery seargeant major general with 500 unlocks they dont want to know... :rolleyes:

DeVore wrote: »
    You wouldnt go out to buy a pizza and come home with a spanner and then complain its crunchy.

Well, not after last time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

0ubliette wrote: »
    Ill get on the phone to Ubisoft, tell them to make their games all cookie cutter FPS's from now on, k?
    Never fear, youll never be bored by a game that doesnt instantly have you killing rag heads again!

WTF did you expect from a game set in the bloody crusades?? AK-47s? Rocket propelled ****ing grenades? LAZERS?? Perhaps a tactical nuke?

Jesus Christ the lack of imagination from some gamers these days is just shockin, if it isnt all bang bang cod 4 im a gunnery seargeant major general with 500 unlocks they dont want to know... :rolleyes:

aren't you the guy who threw his toys out of the pram over cod 4?:D:D:D

Dont be bitching at me cos you didnt like COD4. I didnt shoot down your opinion of that with smart comments. I didnt like AC and even ignored the reviews to buy it but have to agree with some of them that said its very repetitive. It is. In fairness you cant but win any of the fights when you keep pressing X. No skill needed there.

And its not that I just like FPS games but I was just saying I would rather play either of the others than AC. And even if I do prefer FPSs what concern is it of yours? Why dont you go back to the COD4 thread and bitch about how crap it is and how its such a let down. You seem happiest when moaning about something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Its nothing to do with me not liking cod4. Its everything to do with the ridiculousness of anyone expecting a thrid person platform/hack n slash set in the time of the crusades to be comprabale to a modern day run n gun FPS and a futuristic FPS blast em up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Its nothing to do with me not liking cod4. Its everything to do with the ridiculousness of anyone expecting a thrid person platform/hack n slash set in the time of the crusades to be comprabale to a modern day run n gun FPS and a futuristic FPS blast em up.

In fairness he commented on the pace of the games not the game mechanic. He prefers fast paced games and therefore didn't like AC. Fairly easy to see where he is coming from tbh

...well for me I really wanted to like AC 'cos I loved Prince Of Persia. I was really looking forward to this game thinking it would be Prince of Persia meets GTA. I read the reviews and bought it anyway cos I wanted to scale some walls again a la POP. I thought it would be a nice alternative to Halo.

The wall-scaling is nowhere near as good as POP.

I compared it to Halo cos its the most recent example of my having actual fun playing a game. Hitman, splinter cell might have been better comparisons but they weren't that good IMO.

The problem with this game is it asks for too much imagination from the player. You have to listen to all the dialogue, you have to immerse yourself in the lovely environments, you have to imagine it is you who is controlling all those slick sword moves, and not just the games varying reactions to you hitting "x" all the time.

It's going back to the shop today for me!

Vegeta wrote: »
    In fairness he commented on the pace of the games not the game mechanic. He prefers fast paced games and therefore didn't like AC. Fairly easy to see where he is coming from tbh

Exactly. Although not quite as easy for some. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

anybody else finish this and is as furious about the ending is I am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

anybody else finish this and is as furious about the ending is I am?

Yea the end was quite crap ill most likely get the 1000 soon enough and then ill just probably return the game for a full refund lol

Its a good game, just as a friend said its a rent for a week game other than forking out 55 - 75 euro for!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i think expectations are way to high, we have been hit with some quality games in the last 1/2 months. This is a different game that requires a type of player.

If you take the time to appreciate the game, you will love it. Saying the game is repetiveness is a bit of a joke tbh. Take every great game in the last few years.

Metal Gear Solid, sneak around, sneak around, get spotted hide, sneak around.

GTa. Rob a car drive to a mission, drive somewhere kill them finish the mission.

GOW - Shoot through a level to a finish.

Halo - Shoot through a level to a finish.

Pro evo - Win a match, then play more matches to win a league.

The difference between all of this is, what way you do the game that makes it special. This game is really loads of fun and if you take the time to pretend you are the character and act like a pro would, you get loads of enjoyment.

And i think there is replay value there, try kil leveryone in the city :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Damn, I'm torn whether to trade some games in for this. I'm not to worried about repetition long as it is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I think the repetition is putting a lot of ppl off it including myself..
    The re playability factor is practically nil if you do all the quests at the first go.
    It's no deus ex that's for sure..you could play this game 4 or 5 times and each time would be different..same for Oblivion etc..the classes/skills leave a lot of openness.
    I'd put it on a par with Bioshock..great looking game but once you finish it..that's it. You'll never play it again.
    From the looks of it Assasin's Creed is basically the one mission repeated over 9 times..no matter how much slant anyone puts on it the point above is true.
    I wouldn't compare it to fps games as it's a slow-paced game. But comparing it say..against NW2/Oblivion/Thief it looks like it fails badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

if like me you took great enjoyment outa just wandering round creaming everything with two legs in dead rising, you will really really really enjoy wandering round the city killing stuff

i took great pleasure in just wandering round slashing people up.

Advertisement