Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assassin's Creed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My main problem is that you only hit one button to perform your moves pretty much.

In Halo etc... there is at least variety in the types of weapons you use for each task, a different weapon is better but in this, there is not a huge variety.

In most games there is some level of thought before entering combat, in this there is virtually nothing as it is the same thing over and over.

rescue the citizens etc... but even the guards layout is so similar each time that it doesn't shake it up.

I still enjoyed it but it could have been so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Your right in saying every game is repetitive there are
    different degrees which tends to be due how the fun the game is and I have to say that after the first three missions the game stops being fun cause your basically just doing the 3 exact same quests with the only difference being that the guards are on higher alert and there are more beggars and mentalists to get in your way.

The game dose some things right the free running system is fantastic and works perfectly for the entire game except for the harbour in acre were it leads to instant death.

The game also looks amazing when you’re standing on top of a tower looking down on the city and know that you can run atop each of those building you will be impressed.

The enemies A.I is the worst point of assassins creed it’s not too bad in the early levels were you only have to dispatch a few at a time but towards the end when you’re taking on 12+ its very boring just standing in block stance tapping x while they circle around you like idiots with the intelligence of a boss from sonic the hedgehog, it ends up becoming a much faster solution to let yourself die then to bother running away from them.

Spoilers below
    The story I think is a big failing in assassins creed I enjoyed the concept as a whole and liked how they used the animus concept this game could have been a great example of high art had they taking the time to get better voice actors and dialog writers.
    I found it very frustrating that desmond didn’t agree with what the scientists were trying to do knew he was going be killed afterwards but yet greets them every morning in a nice tone and just gets onto the animus like the big generic moron that he is.

they should have giving him at least one scene of being forced into the animus trying to escape or even committing suicide that would of indicated he was human and not just filler so they can pump out a sequel in a year or two.

The ending of the game is dreadful and does not even deserve to be called an ending as it does not conclude anything, you sit through 9 very boring templar monologues followed by a tedious one from the assassins leader after each mission hoping that least by the end something will happen then the scientists walk out of the room desmond gets to see some writing and the credits pop up.

END of Spoilers

/End of rant

In conclusion I would recommend renting the game but defiantly not pay the full retail price as I did because you most likely will not play it after the first run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

[ /spoiler]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Enemy AI, if they are totally stupid then thats a fair point, but just cause you can beat 12+ enemies at once.

Did you come out of die hard or rambo going ..." That is so stupid he just killed like 200 people how did they not get him".

Same can be said for halo, one man saving the planet, gears of war, everything.

The whole point is your above normal, your an expert, your godlike.

If this was a serious drawback in games we would all be playing original rainbow six... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Enemy AI, if they are totally stupid then thats a fair point, but just cause you can beat 12+ enemies at once.

Did you come out of die hard or rambo going ..." That is so stupid he just killed like 200 people how did they not get him".

Same can be said for halo, one man saving the planet, gears of war, everything.

The whole point is your above normal, your an expert, your godlike.

If this was a serious drawback in games we would all be playing original rainbow six... :P

lol true thats not my critisim though im fine with being able to kill thousands at a time as long as their doing their best to kill me with assassins creed though if im surrounded by 30 enemys 29 will stand perfectly still while one attacks and then after a few seconds another will attack it gets fairly boring fast but the kill animations are decent enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Lads,

I can't even get past the first bit of the game where you have to walk through the crowd of women and give them a gentle push :(

Any advice?

My bad....figured it out after about 10 mins!! I was letting go of B!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Having played it for a few days now my own opinion is...

PROS

Looks fantastic.
    Huge areas to explore.
    Replicates the feeling of being in a living busy city teeming with people.
    Great fun leaping around and scaling buildings and towers.

CONS

Can get quite repetitive.
    Combat is horrendously basic (keep bashing X).
    Cut-scenes. Too many and too long.
    Enemy AI is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If someone on here is thinking to buy this but doesn't want to spend money ill happily trade a game or 2 with them for it 1 new game or 2 oldish games I dont mind...

I almost have the 1000 points and I dont see myself replaying it again.. so instead of trading it in and getting nothing I could swap with someone!!!

send me a pm if anyone is interested!!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Having played it for a few days now my own opinion is...

PROS

Looks fantastic.
    Huge areas to explore.
    Replicates the feeling of being in a living busy city teeming with people.
    Great fun leaping around and scaling buildings and towers.

CONS

Can get quite repetitive.
    Combat is horrendously basic (keep bashing X).
    Cut-scenes. Too many and too long.
    Enemy AI is crap.

I have ask how some review sites were giving this game 9/10 and over if it has all these cons. Is it a weakness in their review system or jusy blatantly trying to get people to buy the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have ask how some review sites were giving this game 9/10 and over if it has all these cons. Is it a weakness in their review system or jusy blatantly trying to get people to buy the game?

Or maybe its just their opinion ? :rolleyes:

I have the game and so far am really liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

jamieh wrote: »
    Any advice?

Go sell your 360 as you fail :p I kid, easy enough mistake to make tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

brianon wrote: »
    Or maybe its just their opinion ? :rolleyes:

I have the game and so far am really liking it.

I'm not trying to be rude but bad AI is bad AI, there's no opinion involved there, for this alone as a reviewer I would crucify a modern game. There is zero excuse for it. No game with bad AI (where AI is an obvious area where a game would need strength) would be a 9

You can have an opinion on it being repetitive, everyone agrees its repetitive but some just don't let it tarnish their gaming experience so I wouldn't let that bother me.

Uninvolving combat is also not an opinion based negative aspect of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

all my mates who have played it said its amazing. Story is a big weird how it happens at first but its a great game and well worth the purchase.

but we all loved dead rising just mowing down zombies so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I love the combat. I don't know where people are getting the "keep repeatedly bashing X button" idea from. They obviously haven't played that much of the game and unlocked the combat moves. If you were to just keep pressing X you would find yourself dead very quick.

X is the only real "attack" button, true, but realistic combat involves so much more than just attacking. When I'm fighting, I'm using all the buttons. There's counters, dodges, grabs, grab breaks, steps, defence breaks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

X is pretty much still what the combat revolves around throughout the whole game, but mashing it randomly really doesn't work later on, you really need to time the counters, break the grabs, etc

I'm still not sure what to make of the game now I've finished it, I don't think it's a 9/10 but 7/10 seems too harsh so it settles around 8. It does have plenty of flaws though and the repetition would really put some people off, I didn't mind it as much until later on when I got tired of some of the extra missions (particularly the ones from the informants).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can anyone tell me what the point of The Kingdom is? Is there anything to do there aside from getting chased by guards for no reason? Riding to the city at the start of each mission is really annoying. I wish there was a way to skip it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The combat isnt too bad, looks great but it is just tapping 'x' at the right time. The free-running is pretty deadly though. As everyone else said though, the AI is truly horrible.
    koneko wrote: »
    I didn't mind it as much until later on when I got tired of some of the extra missions (particularly the ones from the informants).
    "Hello Altiar, i was on an important mission and i just happened to drop 30+ flags in a strange circular pattern that goes over many buildings and cool jumping obstacles. Can you go get them for me?"

I know what you mean. I'm finding pretty much all the side missions boring, but i keep thinking that if i skip them, then i'll miss something (bar the extra health). Or that the game will just be too short (which might not be a bad thing. Its getting a bit repetitive at times).

Also, from now on, any god damn begger asking me for some money is getting knifed in the back. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

its really shallow but its really fun - thats it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I can see how it can get a bit repetitive, but the gameplay and the climbong and the jumping and the rolling...ooh the acobatics....lol....i'm well glad i bought it! Also new to the Xbox 360...any other decent recommendations>! oh ok ok...wrong thread...i shall re-locate!

D

Kiith wrote: »
    "Hello Altiar, i was on an important mission and i just happened to drop 30+ flags in a strange circular pattern that goes over many buildings and cool jumping obstacles. Can you go get them for me?"

Those are pretty easy and quick, later on you don't get those much but instead it's the ones where you have to kill 3 or 5 guys for the informant, the place is crawling with guards and any false move (climbing, running, bumping) sets them off (there he is, the assassin!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »
    Also, from now on, any god damn begger asking me for some money is getting knifed in the back. :mad:

Well you'll be happy to know that one of the achievments is to knock over 20 beggars. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Only bought this last night, hadn't heard anything about it before so no hype for me. Just about two hours in I would think. Thoughts so far -

Against
    • Water = Instant Death, found that very disappointing.
    • Controls feel a bit fiddly, particularly when climbing, i've often tapped the stick a bit awkward and went flying off the wall to my death
    • That training bit with the women with the urns took a good 10 mins to get perfected.
    • I was really disappointed about the whole Future/Crusades thing too. It really does detract a bit from the flow.

For
    • The detail of the cities is fantastic, very beautiful
    • The free-running climbing element is great, feels like the whole city is yours to explore
    • Seems to be a few sub-quests etc. Find viewpoints, save civillians, find flags etc.

Initial view is I'm a little disappointed, its not a bad game by a long shot but I was expecting something similar to oblivion. I'm not far enough into it to form a full opinion at this stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

c - 13 wrote: »
    That training bit with the women with the urns took a good 10 mins to get perfected.

why are so many people having trouble with that? all you do is hold B! I did it first time with no hassle whatsoever!

Yeah, that was my first thought when I read that, you just have to hold B while you walk through them, there's literally nothing to it.

As far as climbing goes, once you're on a wall/building just press in the direction you want to go, don't hold right trigger and A until you really need to, otherwise he might jump backwards. If you're only pushing the left stick to go in a direction he shouldn't jump backwards or off a building at all, only grab onto nearby bits that he can reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Well the way I was looking at the training bit I was thinking that I needed to press the gentle shove button for each person I passed, that didnt work so I though that it might be once for each line of people that I had to pass through. I never thought just to hold the button down. I think I expected it to be a bit more complicated ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

Love the game. I agree that the controls are a bit annoying especially when climbing but I think you get used to them. I love the side missions even though they are abit boring but running across roofs and climbing rules. Definitley think it's a must have though. I find myself wanting to leave work early and go play it which I don't get with many games these days.

Such a good time to be into games, I fond myself with loads of cool games to finish and not enough time, woohoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Having not played it for 9 days due to frustration with increasing amounts of simple hacking and slashing, i finished it today. It feels incomplete, and not just because of the erratic behaviour of the guards, or the inconclusive ending.

Once you finish in Arsuf it's effectively over. Having to go through Sibrand and the rest a second time seemed like they were just trying to drag it out a little. Mualim meanwhile was a *big* disapointment, i was expecting something rather more complex and drawn out. Although i'd heard stories that the ending was somewhat disjointed, i still thought "Is that it..?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

It would be deadly if it was sort of half Oblivion (with no magic crap)/half what it is cos the cities are great.

Ubisoft really thought they were onto something with the crowds but they're not all that great.

The suspicion level thing can be a bit confusing sometimes and it's thick also. You can give them a gentle push for ages and nothing happens and other times when your on 'yellow alert' they kill you for minding your own business.

Being able to jump huge distances but not being able to swim is a joke too.

The sound is useless too, bad voices, un-natural scripts and same pieces used for alot of side missions is annoying! I started killing those citizens after I wiped out all the guards.

Graphics 9/10 - Gameplay 7/10 - Sound 5/10 - Short term fun 8/10 - Long Term 5/10
    Overall 6.8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

can anyone help...i cant do any investigations because i done all the view points at the start of the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

ciano1 wrote: »
    can anyone help...i cant do any investigations because i done all the view points at the start of the city

You can't do all the view points at the start of a city - you can only do the viewpoints in the one area of the city which is unlocked, and each city has three or more areas. The areas unlock one at a time as you get new missions.

You have to go to these new unlocked areas (they were previously blocked by the blue "memory walls", and find the first viewpoint yourself using your eyes. Just look around for any tall building with eagles circling. If it has an eagle, its a viewpoint you haven't got yet. Climb it and sync to it, and then all the other viewpoints in that district will appear on your map.

Advertisement