Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assassin's Creed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Having a bit of a dumb moment here, can anyone remind me how to do a counter kill. I know they show it fairly early in the first few missions but I only get to play this at the weekends and maybe for an hour during the week so I've forgotten :(

Please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

hold down both triggers and tap A when the enemy swings at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Is it just me or did anyone feel that although it was a decent enough game it was way overhyped and only sold well because of that? COD4 and Mass Effect are much nicer games to play this crimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

Does anyone know if the PAL version of assassins creed is region free? So will it work on my nstc-j console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Rael wrote: »
    Having a bit of a dumb moment here, can anyone remind me how to do a counter kill. I know they show it fairly early in the first few missions but I only get to play this at the weekends and maybe for an hour during the week so I've forgotten :(

Please help!

Keep the right trigger held down, and just as you see an enemy start to swing his sword hit X

You need to be locked on to someone to do this but it doesnt have to be the enemy who attacks, it can be any enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Jonakin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the PAL version of assassins creed is region free? So will it work on my nstc-j console?

Yes it is region free

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can i ask what the hell was the deal with the ending? I was just left to walk around for ages, with nothing new to do. Was i just supposed to turn the game off after
    seeing the weird writing and final scene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Kiith:
    If you got the credits, then yeah, that's it. If you didn't, use the Eagle vision on the floor in the main room and the wall in the bedroom. Then they'll play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

i thought the twist at the end was really good, obviously setting up for a sequel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Kiith wrote: »
    seeing the weird writing and final scene?

yup.
    I was there going, what? is that it?!
    There will just have to be a part deux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Beruthiel wrote: »
    yup.
    I was there going, what? is that it?!
    There will just have to be a part deux.

And Trois apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Is there any way of going back into the cities after you clear the game, to do all the missions for extra achievements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Is there any way of going back into the cities after you clear the game, to do all the missions for extra achievements?

Yes, you can just sit back into the animus once the credits have rolled.

Oh right have to watch them credits again.......easiest 50 achievements ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just finished the game but didn't get the conversationalist achievement. Please tell me I don't have to play all the way through it again to get the achievement.

Makaveli wrote: »
    Just finished the game but didn't get the conversationalist achievement. Please tell me I don't have to play all the way through it again to get the achievement.

I missed it as well. I pretty sure you have to replay the whole game again :( Its far too repetive to play again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a decent play yesterday and very much enjoying it. Some reviews would have you think it is a complete disaster, but aside from the repetition (which I started noticing yesterday, but am sure will start creeping up big time) it has much to recommend. Technically marvellous, wonderfully designed city (would be great to see something like Crackdown running on this engine!) but the highlight of all is Altair himself, probably the most enjoyable character to control in a long, long time. Really a step foward for control schemes to.

Problems, yes, but they don't really damage your enjoyment of the game that much (except the countryside and the whole "press A to walk slowly past soliders while horseriding" malarky - huh?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Had a decent play yesterday and very much enjoying it. Some reviews would have you think it is a complete disaster, but aside from the repetition (which I started noticing yesterday, but am sure will start creeping up big time) it has much to recommend. Technically marvellous, wonderfully designed city (would be great to see something like Crackdown running on this engine!) but the highlight of all is Altair himself, probably the most enjoyable character to control in a long, long time. Really a step foward for control schemes to.

Problems, yes, but they don't really damage your enjoyment of the game that much (except the countryside and the whole "press A to walk slowly past soliders while horseriding" malarky - huh?)

+1 I'm very impressed with this so far,although I can see all the viewpoints getting repetative after a week or so...

All in all an excellent game :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My advice is NOT to gorge on this game, dip in and out of it when the feeling for something slower takes you.

I love this game, its great. It has flaws (god damn the AI is pretty dumb) but since I find the fights a distraction from the main game it doesnt bother me that much. I love climbing and wall running, there is nothing as satisfying as pulling off a combination of runs, climbs and swings to duck into a hiding place.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Repetative as hell but kind of enjoyable. I find the sprinting pisses me off if im outnumbered after a big kill. I end up running up walls and doing crap I dont want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Weird, I WANT to run up the walls as fast as possible after a big kill... I will have slaughtered (rather cinematically if I say so myself) all the bowmen and guards up top, after that... the roofs are my realm! :)

Like Gabe said on PA... I play this for hidden art, I love to climb and reveal bits of the city, I could watch that circular camera forever!

As I said on another thread.... complaining there isnt enough "action" in it, is like going out to buy a breakfast roll, ending up with monkey-wrench and complaining its too crunchy.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

I got assasins creed for xmas and it doesnt work at all:(.When I choose to play the game the Ps3 logo comes up and the screen goes blank,did anyone else have this problem?

edit-sorry just realised this is the xbox forum,my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Hi Lads,
    I also got this game for Xmas, and I must say that although I'm not that far into it, I really love it.
    I mean, I have Halo 3 and Crackdown and loads of other fast shoot em up type games but I just love the pace of this one and it looks ridiculously good.
    There is plenty of room in the gaming market and I'm glad to see a title like this emerge, instead of the constant supply of Grunt games cloggin up the shelves. I've heard it can be repetitive but that can be said of all games really.
    I think the negativity about this game in this thread is undeserved.
    Vive la difference !
    Or summit like that.

Gamertag - PsychoClive.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Wolf07

Top 10: Ways to make Assassin's Creed 2 a masterpiece
    By Tom Orry - 15/11/2007 - 5:32pm GMT
    Tom Orry

Given that Ubisoft's highly anticipated Assassin's Creed hits stores this Friday and didn't turn out quite as well as we hoped, we thought we'd compile VideoGamer.com's Top 10: Ways to make Assassin's Creed 2 a masterpiece. We put our heads together in the office and we think Ubisoft need only follow our guide below and they'll have a bona fide legendary game on their hands.
    Tweak the free-running

The free-running in Assassin's Creed is good, but it's far from perfect. To start with Ubisoft needs to figure out how to free up your right thumb in order to manually control the camera using the right analogue stick. Altair could also do with a little more upper body strength, allowing him to pull himself up over ledges a little quicker. This would make fast-paced chases all the more enjoyable.
    More variety in assassinations

For a game about an assassin, the assassinations in Assassin's Creed left a lot to be desired. They nearly all played out the same and were basically impossible to carry out without alerting all the guards in the local area. Whether it's making your target less obvious or simply trying to spot the target based on his location and actions, it shouldn't be as easy as walking into an area and starting a fight.
    Interesting NPCs

Assassin's Creed's cities are full with citizens. The number of people wandering the streets is truly amazing to see, but most of them are just there to make up the numbers. Why can't they each have something to say, and more of them need to trigger side missions and objectives. A citizen who needs to be saved from guards gets old after you've done the same thing a handful of times, and it just makes no sense for the same thing to be happening all over each of the cities.
    A real ending

There's no denying that the end to Assassin's Creed is interesting, but it's certainly not what we'd call satisfying. Assassin's Creed 2 needs to explain a few more things without simply offering fairly cryptic clues. And at the end we need an actual conclusion. It's fine to set up a sequel but we don't want to be left with more questions than answers.
    Improved guard AI

The guards in Assassin's Creed have their moments, but all too often you can casually walk behind them and stealth kill them from behind. This isn't what we'd call intelligent AI. You should have to work for your stealth kills. On the other hand, when giving chase they could do with being a little less aggressive and not quite so agile. Assassin's Creed 2 needs to make you feel superior to the enemies in the game, so when you're on the run you should have a clear advantage - less being knocked off ledges by rocks please.
    More stealth

Altair's costume is superb, but could he not do a little more to blend in? Why not change into something a little more suited for the district he's in and perhaps it's not wise to carry a large blade on your back? While the notion of the public not being aware of such an assassin is believable for a time, given that there's little way for the citizens to communicate other than by voice, surely by the end of the game your appearance and presence should be all too well known.
    Better combat

Having a combat system that relies on counters has its merits. Fights in Assassin's Creed look great and anyone can get good at fending off a large group of guards, but more options for skilful players would be great. An optional combat system that plays similarly to God of War would be superb, as would a willingness by the guards to attack more than one at a time.
    Do more with the cities

The three main cities in Assassin's Creed and wonderful digital creations and something Ubisoft should be proud of, but more should be made of them. There needs to be more life, random occurrences, scripted events, epic moments and more interactivity. Most of the buildings in the game are for show and can't be entered, while there's very little sense of the citizens actually going about their daily lives - instead simply going along pre-determined routes.
    Co-op play

Stealth gameplay works in co-op, as Splinter Cell has proved. Open city games work in co-op too, as Crackdown has proved. Combine the two, along with the improvements mentioned above, and Ubisoft would have a killer game on its hands. Just imagine Player 1 causing a slight disturbance in the town centre, maybe by starting a fight with a merchant. This then calls the guards away from their post outside a building, allowing Player 2 to enter, take up a safe position and await the arrival of your target.
    No water death

How this is still even in modern games is beyond us, but please Ubisoft, don't let Altair die when he hits water in Assassin's Creed 2. When playing on the dock in Assassin's Creed, if you miss a grab breaker you're odds on going to get thrown into the obviously toxic blue liquid that the boats are floating on - presumably crew-less due to the fumes being emitted. It's a simple thing, but surely a hard guy like Altair should be able to take getting a little wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MikeyZozo

One of the most the most annoying things about A.C was the beggars, the way they just follow you around asking for money (and you can't even give it to them) and then when you climb to get away from them, they throw a rock at you and you fall and your cover's blown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

the beggars were the best! i used to beat their sorry little asses around the place!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

11.99 on play.com, worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yes. It's a fun game, graphically very good and immersive. It can be a bit repetitive at times but it's definitely worth a look, especially at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I agree, It's a great little game that looks glorious and when it flows it's great fun. The side missions are insanely repetitive but you should get great value for you're 11.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Advertisement