Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Football in Ireland

• 11-11-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

Any here play in the iafl? whats it like is it hard to get in to for beginners? iheard they where satrting up a team in galway but it never got off the ground, any1 no what happened?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id love to take this up but the only team around here is in U.L, i suppose you have to be a student to get on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

yeah i no i was looking on http://www.irish-american-football.org/ for info but there isn't much on there.i would imagine UL would be hard to break in to as they are well established. i was hoping some1 would no the guy who tried to set up the galway team(sea devils) and see if they new the story i heard they didn't have the numbers but the person who told me wasn't sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Hey guys you should check out www.iafs.co.uk.

Wanders_fan, there is a section for the Galway Sea Devils there you should PM one of them to find out what the story is, havnt heard too much on them recently.

And Melion, you don't need to be a student to join the UL Vikings, there are quite a few non students on the roster. Your best bet is to got the the UL section of the above site and post up about it that way you can get a response from the Limerick players.

No team will turn a player down.

thanks alot man.so i take it u play with UL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

no it's not that hard to get the hang of the game it jus needs time and alot of hard work..if you try out for a team all the guys will make you feel very welcome and will help you in any other way the can...any other questions

• Advertisement

well i no must of the rules etc just no plays can be tough to learn and stuff.do u play? whats the nearest team to galway do u no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

ye i play i'm a defensive end/left guard.i think the nearest teams to galway would be UL or Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There is a flag football team based in Galway. They're going to be in the flag league next year. Basically they have insufficient interest to make a fully kitted team and unless they can get a link up with the university I don't think they'll be able to get enough interest. Nearest teams to Galway are UL and Edenderry who are starting out this year and may be in a new Division II.

oh rite thanks. is dat flag team gonna happen?i heard the cosch has half given up and i can't get in touch wit any1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

lads any idea what club around dublin would be the best for a total novice to start, i am a sport person and know rules and all and would like to get involved in playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

you don't have to be a student in UL to play for the UL Vikings. I'm gone out of there for a little while but in my time there were people from LIT, MIC, secondary schools and just general grown up working folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

mchurl wrote: »
    lads any idea what club around dublin would be the best for a total novice to start, i am a sport person and know rules and all and would like to get involved in playing.

Where do you live? We have a 80% rookies this year so we are always teaching basics as do all the teams. Tallaght Outlaws train in Tymon Park beside basketball arena every Sunday at Midday.

Besides Tallaght, DCU Saints are on Ballymun Road in Glasnevin, Dublin Dragons are in Lucan and the Rebels are moving about a bit because their training ground is an ice rink for the Christmas period but are usually based in Booterstown.

www.dcusaints.com
    www.dublindragons.com
    www.dublinrebels.com
    www.tallaghtoutlaws.com

DCU are a university team so take in a lot of new recruits each year and are therefore used to training them up to the necessary standard. You're welcome to come to training with us on Sundays from 11-2. Tuesday training will start later in the year. Buses 4,11,11a,13,13a and 19a serve DCU sports grounds (They're behind the Esso station on the Ballymun Road rather than in the university itself) from town.

There's also a team starting in Trinity but think they'll only be playing 8 a side this year if they get kitted at all.

so no other news on the galway team?

jdivision wrote: »
    There is a flag football team based in Galway. They're going to be in the flag league this year. Basically they have insufficient interest to make a fully kitted team and unless they can get a link up with the university I don't think they'll be able to get enough interest. Nearest teams to Galway are UL and Edenderry who are starting out this year and may be in a new Division II.

As previously stated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

In relation to football in galway, Got in contact with the lads last year with an interest in playing but training was at the weekend and being a student not from galway I go home at the weekend so couldn't go. But these are the guys who are involved with it. Hopefully we could get something goin here in N.U.I. Galway simular to U.L.

johnnyburke32@yahoo.com

kylewilkinson88@hotmail.com

jdivision wrote: »
    As previously stated

i no.thats why i said "other" in my previous statment!

franglan wrote: »
    In relation to football in galway, Got in contact with the lads last year with an interest in playing but training was at the weekend and being a student not from galway I go home at the weekend so couldn't go. But these are the guys who are involved with it. Hopefully we could get something goin here in N.U.I. Galway simular to U.L.

johnnyburke32@yahoo.com

kylewilkinson88@hotmail.com

yeah i've e-mailed them kyle replied but wasn't sure what was happening and johnny hasn't replied.So your interested in playin too?have u played b4?are u trying to organising it in N.U.I. might happen if u join with GMIT.

No not doin anything about it as i'm doin enough volenteering at the mo. but I think there is enough interest around the colleges in galway to get something goin, Probably like yourself I know people who have an interest in nfl and college football and would like to play themselves. I .ve never played but with my team the jets having no QB this year you never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Where do you live? We have a 80% rookies this year so we are always teaching basics as do all the teams. Tallaght Outlaws train in Tymon Park beside basketball arena every Sunday at Midday.

Living out in Dalkey, there is about three or four of us looking to get involved, you seem to be quite close to us as would the Dublin rebels if they are staying out in booterstown. Is it ok for us to just turn up to one of these sessions or would we have to get in contact in advance? how i would i go about getting padded up etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Just drop up to training, you will only need a pair of boots and suitable training gear (shorts and tshirt etc) to get started.

Pads/helmets come later. Come up and try it out for a few weeks then if you decide to keep it up the team will help you out with buying equipment as much as possible and advise wheres the cheapest for it all.

No not doin anything about it as i'm doin enough volenteering at the mo. but I think there is enough interest around the colleges in galway to get something goin, Probably like yourself I know people who have an interest in nfl and college football and would like to play themselves. I .ve never played but with my team the jets having no QB this year you never know...

So do u think it could happen dis year or will it be a season or 2?i'd love to play.he more i'm on dis forum the more i wanna play.yeah its tough being a jets fan the eagles are almost as bad as ye but we'll stil be a tough underdog in the playoff

Don't know having an auld throw about is obviously easier to organise than a team, but you should try to get in contact with the galway sea dragons again. I would of played last year but sunday mornings didn't suit, Again i think there is interest even last year i saw a guy with a football throwing it about on the college green, i asked could i join in and before you knew there was 12 of us messing about, Also asked the "other/world" sports club about A. football at socs day, they weren't interested.

Strange question but i.ve seen a guy wearing a eagles hat for the last two days in n.u.i. is it you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

mchurl wrote: »
    Living out in Dalkey, there is about three or four of us looking to get involved, you seem to be quite close to us as would the Dublin rebels if they are staying out in booterstown. Is it ok for us to just turn up to one of these sessions or would we have to get in contact in advance? how i would i go about getting padded up etc.?

I'm the Rebels' Offensive Coach.

Email info@dublinrebels.com. We're training out in Greystones Rugby Club this Sunday at 12, while our Booterstown training ground is on ice. You can just turn up if you'd prefer.

We'll fill you in on getting equipment.

Andy

Don't know having an auld throw about is obviously easier to organise than a team, but you should try to get in contact with the galway sea dragons again. I would of played last year but sunday mornings didn't suit, Again i think there is interest even last year i saw a guy with a football throwing it about on the college green, i asked could i join in and before you knew there was 12 of us messing about, Also asked the "other/world" sports club about A. football at socs day, they weren't interested.

Strange question but i.ve seen a guy wearing a eagles hat for the last two days in n.u.i. is it you?

No not me i don't have any eagles stuff i have a tampa jersey i sometimes weari've cheked out the sea devils a few times but no real news.don't no why no1 hasn't organised it in galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

No not me i don't have any eagles stuff i have a tampa jersey i sometimes weari've cheked out the sea devils a few times but no real news.don't no why no1 hasn't organised it in galway

How many people do you know interested. I'm Kyle by the way. I've tried to get practices organised at Salthill Park just simple touch Football stuff with a lack of Flags but we've always had problems with attendences. I'd love to start something back up if you know people interested who would like to go:)

Sea Devils wrote: »
    How many people do you know interested. I'm Kyle by the way. I've tried to get practices organised at Salthill Park just simple touch Football stuff with a lack of Flags but we've always had problems with attendences. I'd love to start something back up if you know people interested who would like to go:)

Really excellent.i can ask around see if i can get any1.problem really is getting ppl on a sunday cuz the guys i no are all students and don't no if dey'd do it on a sunday.i'll see if i can get any rough nums.flanglan said he might no some2.should see if any1 in gmit would go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

To add to Sea Devils reply. We are launching a flag league in ireland shortly. There are a number of colleges entering teams and i always thought that Galway would be involved.
    Flag is a cheap stepping stone to setting up a full kitted team. DCU started this way a few years ago.

Really excellent.i can ask around see if i can get any1.problem really is getting ppl on a sunday cuz the guys i no are all students and don't no if dey'd do it on a sunday.i'll see if i can get any rough nums.flanglan said he might no some2.should see if any1 in gmit would go.

It doesn;t have to be Sundays you know but the Weekend is best suited for my conveience. We're pretty short on equipment heck I donn't even have a Football so that would have to be sorted

• Advertisement

It doesn;t have to be Sundays you know but the Weekend is best suited for my conveience. We're pretty short on equipment heck I donn't even have a Football so that would have to be sorted

i can possibly get us that ball if ur really stuck.lol.

I have a football! well its an nfl extreme one but still regulation size, i'm doining some recruiting.

Well both you guys obviously have my email so if you want to have a further discussion about this or send a PM your more then welcome:)

Well both you guys obviously have my email so if you want to have a further discussion about this or send a PM your more then welcome:)

ok den so what kinda numbers will we need? about 25 minimum? if we play both sides?

If you want to play the version of flag that we use the it is 5 a side and the rules are in the grass-roots section of the NFL Europa site.
    This makes it a very easy stepping stone to learning and understanding American football strategies. The more you play the more complicated and interesting it becomes.
    The Irish Flag Football team will be hosting England and Scotland in Belfast this weekend, should be fun.

As Titan said there are 5 on a Flag team so realistically I'd say we would need about 10 since I can;t see us playing Kitted for a while so Flag is our best bet

• Advertisement

As Titan said there are 5 on a Flag team so realistically I'd say we would need about 10 since I can;t see us playing Kitted for a while so Flag is our best bet

oh rite didn't no it was 5 a side dat wouldn't be so bad.so hae we any plan or time or anything? i'd need so basic details to ask ppl with.

Well I was thinking the Weekend at Salthill park maybe Sunday although for some that seems to be akward around 2

Second time in 2 years of college that i'm stayin around for the weekend, so should be able to make it.

Well I was thinking the Weekend at Salthill park maybe Sunday although for some that seems to be akward around 2

this weekend? no can do gotta work what had u in mind? just an informal game or wat?

this weekend? no can do gotta work what had u in mind? just an informal game or wat?

Depending on how many players we had yes

• Advertisement

so any thing happening?

Come on Galway, what's happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭earthworms

ya whats happenin galway??
    Im not sure what the interest level is all i can say is that im interested.
    Getting our own pitch cant be that hard. We could get mcGraths field in Knocknacarra. You just have to ring the council and have it organised I think. Like i said i dunno how many ppl are interested but if theres enough then we should def get this goin and enter a team for the season starting next year

Earthworms knows what he's about....this has to happen.

Anyone who is interested in playing for the sea devils pm me asap. we gotta see if we can get the nimbers together for a team

have you tried the galway city forum?

no i havent actually. I think we're gonna be entering the flag tournament next year. if an exception can be made for us. can you play? I might try the galway city forum when we're entering the main league but we'll def have enough for flag at the mo

have never played but have been a fans for years(7 i think)i don't no flag all that well.not the fittest person in the world either.try and change that over christmas

So how many people should we have for Sunday then. Is this a definite go because it would be nicr to get something started. I spoke to Titan about this and he seems pretty sure that one team can free up a space in our grup to prevent an imablance. Earthworms seems pretty sure we have enough players so go for it I say:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement