Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad in UCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

bump.

got the letter in the post this morning :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Last year I got an acceptance to the Philosophy MA in early July and an acceptance into an English MA at the end of July (which was a bit ridiculous). So if anyone's still waiting to hear back I would advise them not to lose hope just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If it's the English department, don't sweat it, it'll take months.

I didn't enjoy my MA in UCD much. I still adore the subject matter, but the whole course was pathetically disorganised. I chose a taught masters because I didn't consider myself ready to study without the support network a taught masters implies. Emphasis on implies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I got a formal offer today from the english department as did some others, we have two weeks to confirm and pay the deposit and no means to pay the deposit online (even though they state if you pay online you have to pay that way) the path of UCD registration/admission rarely runs smooth, if anyone overcomes this problem can you let me know, in the meantime I have fired off a number of e-mails.

Incidentally I'll be starting an MA in anglo-irish literature and I'm made up to get a place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 C.K.

Applied for MRUP (Regional & Urban Planning) in UCD, no exam results yet, anyone know did anyone get an offer yet? when are they out? when sending up exam results does anything else need to be sent?? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

*sigh*
    If anyone is still unsure about taking a place at ucd I'd like to take the opertunity to advise them against it. I've put up with an awful lot of crap from ucd because I liked the department (sorry, school) I'm in but the last few weeks have really been the last straw(s). There seems to be absolutely no respect for the fact that there are post-graduates trying to study all summer. The library's being re-painted, opening hours were slashed all last month, all the lockers on arts are being replaced meaning that postgrads can't hang onto them for an extra month or two like they usually do, and yesterday I discovered that all the printers in the Arts block were taken out by IT services (presumably to be upgraded).

Most of these aren't huge problems in themselves, but having them all come up together has made every day in ucd one logistical nightmare after another leaving my stressed out and exhausted before I even get down to the business of trying to get to work on my thesis. And there seems to be absolutely no acknowledgment anywhere that for and awful lot of people these last few summer months are crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

At this point in time I recommend people not to continue postgraduate study in UCD. As a PhD I've seen a massive decline in how postgraduate students are treated in the last few years. This year was insanely bad. The decision to shut the library at 5:30 all last month was unbelievable, and the computing services are downright confusing at the moment. How the **** are we supposed to be printing things on campus? I found out how, but it could have been one of those days.

Fact of the matter is UCD will never foster a real postgraduate community because it is indifferent to their needs and consequently they will never produce the results at that level that so many other Universities are famous for. All money to publication...that is the new UCD.

As for the English MA...well I didn't enjoy it. UCD English department is plain messy. No focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

scop wrote: »
    At this point in time I recommend people not to continue postgraduate study in UCD. As a PhD I've seen a massive decline in how postgraduate students are treated in the last few years. This year was insanely bad. The decision to shut the library at 5:30 all last month was unbelievable, and the computing services are downright confusing at the moment. How the **** are we supposed to be printing things on campus? I found out how, but it could have been one of those days.

Fact of the matter is UCD will never foster a real postgraduate community because it is indifferent to their needs and consequently they will never produce the results at that level that so many other Universities are famous for. All money to publication...that is the new UCD.

As for the English MA...well I didn't enjoy it. UCD English department is plain messy. No focus.

+1. Thats the kind of nonsense along with the overall post-graduate reputation that put me off ever returning to UCD to do an MA. Go somewhere else I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just finishing the MA in Economics in UCD this summer.
    Twas hard enough. Actual exams at xmas, summer then the research.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Fact of the matter is UCD will never foster a real postgraduate community because it is indifferent to their needs

True. The modern UCD will never form any sort of community as it is indifferent to everyone's needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

noodler wrote: »
    Just finishing the MA in Economics in UCD this summer.
    Twas hard enough. Actual exams at xmas, summer then the research.

Hey, mind if I send you a PM with a few questions about the course?

Advertisement