Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Gerbil Behavior

Options
  • 11-11-2007 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got a pair of gerbils recently(about 3 weeks ago), they needed to be rehomed and the previous owner said they were a father and son, and both were only a few months old (I think she said the son was about a month old).

Now the father is definitely a male, but the 'son' is a bit harder to tell...this page here has some good info http://www.gerbils.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gerbils/gender.htm but I think it's becoming clear now that 'he' might be more of a 'she' (it's hard to tell before 5 weeks).

Anyways, the male is always sniffing around the other gerbil and today I saw him mounting 'her' or 'him'...anyways the other gerbil used to be quite thin and now seems to have bulged out hugely-it's always eating but I hope it's not pregnant! This other gerbil is prob a bit young to get pregnant but I'm really not sure what age it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

The "son" was old enough to get pregnant when you bought him

they might be 2 boys, a gerbil's scent gland is on their belly and when they mark each other they have to grab the other gerbil from behind and run their belly on its back. it looks like humping but it isn't. had me worried when i got my 2 girls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I thought they couldn't get pregnant until about 2 and a half to 3 mo (or younger if they're with an older male)...?

Ok it was pregnant after all! Having pups at the moment. There's no way I can keep them tho...what's the best option for re-homing? Or better still, does anyone here want a few?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

you could consider contacting local pet shops and asking if they can take a few off ya, I know I do that with fish if they breed on me and ive no space, its not cruel so long as its a good pet shop. , people who pay money for an animal and accessories generally look after them anyway. Just dont expect cash for them, they are not exactly a "rare" species, so the pet shop would be doing you a favour taking them off your hands.

they can be rehomed to a pet shop. word of warning though, female gerbils will get pregnant again as soon as they have a litter, they can have 10 litters a year.

Here is a good site, the Admin is excellent, he will help you with anything

gerbilmummy is great too

http://gerbilsuk.proboards15.com/index.cgi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

How easy are gerbils to keep.Reason Im asking is cos my eldest daughter(10) is looking for a small pet-guinea pigs,hamster etc.

If theres a gerbil that needs rehoming Ill definately consider it.

Gerbils need to be kept in twos, they will play, groom and sleep together. Very easy to keep but keep them in a glass tank, they will chew a cage and the shavings go everywhere (they love digging). They will also chew the bars til their noses are raw- and chew some more. Only need cleaning about once a month. If you give them a dish of chinchilla sand they will do all their poo in that, its great.

www.e-gerbil.com is great, made by the admin of the link in my last post

Thanks for all the advice folks. She had 4 pups and they seem to be doing fine. I'll seperate the male when she goes to give birth again. Will she have a smaller litter next time, given that she's looking after the current litter?

@Hellrazer - I'd be more than happy to rehome them! They can be seperated from the mother at 5 weeks, so they'd be ready then, PM me if you're interested.

Advertisement