Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orchestral Libraries

Options
  • 11-11-2007 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Orchestral sample libraries...many people here using them?

I use to enjoy writing stuff with Edirol Orchestral (Yarrrgh!) and would like to get back into it. Mostly for personal enjoyment and to improve my music theory which has been left neglected for a few years, so don't want to be spending too much on it. But if the samples are good enough for use in actual recording projects then all the better.

So I've been looking at Vienna Special Edition, seems like a great price for a slice of a well regarded library. Also the East West Gold Bundle. That really would be the limit of my budget though.

I was hoping to use Pro Tools as my sequencer. Whatever about PT's not being good on the sequencer/MIDI side of things, it's what I have, what I'm use to, and my budget is tight! Conflicting information on running SE in RTAS though. If all else fails I was thinking of maybe picking up Logic Express with Vienna. East West comes with NI Kontakt but I've never used it before. :confused:

Anyway...recommendations/advice/opinions on orchestral libraries and what sequencer you're running it with, te rog?

Multumesc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've used 2 orchestral libraries extensively, the Garritan Personal Orchestra and the VSL library that comes with NI Kontakt 2. Both are good (from what I can tell). The Garritan libraries are reputed to be excellent value for money, which I would agree with. The VSL library with Kontakt 2 is also very good, but it might not be worth buying if all you're after is orchestral stuff.

The Garritan Personal Orchestra (plus East West and a great many other libraries) come bundled with Kontakt Player, which is like a non-editable playback-only version of Kontakt. Its quite flexible and its pretty easy to use. Although if you want to get seriously involved with sample playback it might be worth picking up a full version of Kontakt, which is a very cool instrument indeed.

I've run both Kontakt and Kontakt Player extensively without problems as both VSTs and AUs and they are supposedly RTAS compatible too. I've run them in Cubase at home and in Logic Pro and Ableton Live at work without any problems. Can't vouch for PT, but I'm sure you could get something up and running ok. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yep it does, completely overlooked Garritan when I was looking at the different products, so I'll definitely consider that. Cheers for the heads up on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

you can buy that a few dollars cheaper here:

http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSO-Gold-Bundle-pr-EW-160PROB1.html

also - i was looking at the exact same thing for the last few days - always check ebay! iv seen about 3 VST's on there, for literally a fraction of the price...totally worth it...

Advertisement