Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 to get divx certification??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here's a copy of the article for all the lazy people.
    Davis Freeberg of Seeking Alpha has the scoop of the imminent DivX certification for the Xbox 360:

DivX (DIVX) followed up Tuesday night’s earnings report with a presentation at the JP Morgan SmMid cap conference. JP Morgan analyst Paul Coster coyly probed Kevin Hell about whether or not we were about to see DivX support on the Xbox 360. The question seemed to catch Hell off guard, and while his initial reaction was enthusiasm, there was something about his tone that suggested that Coster might be onto something.

“Just a minor point here, but there was a recent Microsoft (MSFT) conference where I believe their media extender now incorporates the DivX codec on it, is that correct? Can you confirm that and does that mean we’re soon going to see Xboxes with DivX on them?

Keving Hell - “Yes! that, uh, we’re in discussions with Microsoft on that at this point in time, so I can’t go into any great detail on that. Um that is not a certified, that is not a certified or licensed product at this time.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

what I really want is x264 MKV support.. but i guess that would be asking too much..

still.. hopefully we'll get Divx/Xvid support atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

may i ask what would this mean to a gamer like myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oman wrote: »
    It will allow the ability to play DivX / XviD videos (AVI) on your XBox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Oman wrote: »

From a gaming standpoint, it won't really have any impact at all. It'll allow you to watch downloaded movies

/edit
    can't believe it took me 3 mins to type that... damn slow hungover brain!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tman wrote: »
    It'll allow you to watch downloaded movies
    Or legal copys you've encoded from your DVD's! ;)

PS - i'm using Connect360 which supports WMV... CRAP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

downloaded videos. god i hope its true, i have a load of downloaded stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

basquille wrote: »
    i'm using Connect360 which supports WMV... CRAP!

Me too... forgot the 360 doesn't support DivX it until I (finally) had Windows Media Connect set up and running. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Its still not official but lets hope its sorted before xmas.

I'm still using my old xbox for media centre vids and its a bit of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

Fnz wrote: »
    Me too... forgot the 360 doesn't support DivX it until I (finally) had Windows Media Connect set up and running. :mad:

do you not use transcode360 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Or TVersity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Can't see it happening, it'll kill off their own video marketplace and what Film Studios are going to support them adding divx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

Orb does the job pretty well for me:

http://corp.orb.com/gamers/xbox.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

ZygOte wrote: »
    do you not use transcode360 ?
    mcgovern wrote: »
    Or TVersity.

Nah, I gave up as even the WMV playback was 'stuttering' when streaming over my wireless network. I don't want the console hard wired to my PC at the moment.

Hopefully this rumour turns out to be true and we will (hopefully) be able to just play DivX files directly from a disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

what I really want is x264 MKV support.. but i guess that would be asking too much..

Yeah me too tbh, would be a great addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Snarler wrote: »
    Its still not official but lets hope its sorted before xmas.

I'm still using my old xbox for media centre vids and its a bit of pain.

i had just started looking into modding my old xbox to run xbmc for this purpose but would much rather be able to play them on the 360 without any tinkering.

Yeah tversity and transcode360 let you stream non wmv content to the 360 but its not the same as being able to run it natively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Never had any problems with TVersity TBH. The 360 HDD isn't big enough to store movies and there isn't much difference between playing native and not when you've already encoded the video/audio to take out half the quality to reduce file size.

Advertisement