Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Omnibus

• 11-11-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I'm in 6th year at the moment & thinkin of doing the Arts omnibus, it looks very good, almost too good to be true, I'd like to hear from some of the students who have or are doing the course now,

I was thinkin on the lines of

- History
    - Comp Sci
    - Maybe archaeology or English

Just wanted to get a bit of feedback :D

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Hey, I'm not doing Omnibus, i'm denominated BA Comp Sci but its pretty much the same thing in 1st year anyway

My courses:

CompSci - my favourite by far (no suprises there), really interesting and totally different to school*
    German - UGH!! Relatively heavy workload, and kinda difficult overall.. not liking it
    Linguistics - Boring and obvious
    Psychology - not my cup of tea, puts me to sleep

Arts really isn't my thing and TBH I wouldn't recommend it from my experience.. I'm dropping all my arts subjects after this year..

*My gripe being that Arts subjects feel a little too much like school..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ha! School? Arts student right here. If you pick subjects that you are genuinely interested in then Id go right ahead an do it.

I do mode 1 archaeology and its fantastic. If you like it. If you dont like archaeology I can understand why people find it boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Grimes wrote: »
    Ha! School? Arts student right here. If you pick subjects that you are genuinely interested in then Id go right ahead an do it.
    best advice

too many people end up doing Arts because there was nothing else to do and didn't have much interest in their subjects and many of that group drop out because of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

English and History really complement each other well if you're doing them though the essays can tend to be a bit much sometimes (I've got something like 6/7 due in over the next 3/4 weeks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

I did it.I hated it last year but love it this year!Its all in the picking of the subjects, pick a subject that you like and your sorted!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fluther

Just bear in mind that if you go to UCD to do arts 2nd year and 3rd year are worth fifty percent each...it's like having two final years and it's not fun...If i had the choice again i wouldn't have come to UCD to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

like u hearing alot pick subjects u like i do
    Greek and roman civilisation- amazing subject if ya like classics
    Pyscohology- really interesting love it
    Modern irish- no great interest but i need it and that has made my year hard

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Thx for the replies, I'm really into Computer Science & History, so I think I'll definately put it down on my CAO ;)

Cheers,

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Key-Connors

iv got a question about film studies in the arts omnibus, is it any good? i mean, i have a huge interest in film and was thinking about doing this with english and two other subjects but its just that history is in the same bracket and i dont want to pick a crap film course over history.
    so, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

just thought i should point out in case u didn't know:

if you do the arts omnibus and really get into computer science you can't drop history then and just do a computer science degree you will have to do atleast a minor in history but if u do the DN050 denominated BA Comp Sci course you can drop history if you dnt like it or keep it if you do.

In first yr/first semester in comp science you do java programming and a problem solving course.check out the link below for some practicals and lecture slides to give you a taster. someone posted me this link when i was in your position and then i knew i wanted to do comp sci so i thought i should do the same :D

http://inismor.ucd.ie/~fintanc/COMP10010.html

EDIT:
    @Key-Connors, i think the film studies modules are great! each week we learn about different periods/forms/types of cinema by one lecture/one film/one tutorial. There is also a lot of reading too but some of the books themselves are a good read so you may find them hard to put down. Dr. O'Brien and Tony Fitzmaurice know their **** and make their lectures lively and interesting. Here are some of the films we've done:

Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    Edwards Scissorhands
    Nosferatu

be aware though some of the most obnoxious ppl that love nothing more than to ramble at length about some obscure 1950's European piece of **** in order to sound arty or cool take this course!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Thx for the replies, I'm really into Computer Science & History, so I think I'll definately put it down on my CAO

Cheers,

Tim

just bear in mind that computer science is a load of code, agorithim and maths

a lot of people do it because they like computers it and computer science dont always go in hand

just talk to somebody thats doing it- still might be youre thing and if so I wish you luck with it young sir

Edit: actually just look at fintan costelloes link thats all the java stuff youll be doing

good Idea there dhaddock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I'm 1st yr arts and I would reccommend it if the subjects on offer really interest you. History is amazing and so worthwhile, English is a lot of reading and writing and I'm not mad about it really. Don't do Italy through the centuries cos it sounds like history but it's not, it's literature mostly and involves more reading than bloody English.

Advertisement