Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Eircom 2247 router

Options
  • 11-11-2007 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey,

A couple of months ago I got an eircom 2247 router. I had satellite internet installed with an ethernet cable coming in to the house so I came on here and got advice how to set up the modem so I could use it for wireless. All was working great. Recently my exchange has been enabled so I ordered adsl internet from bt. Now that has been activated on the line but I have a few problems.

1. I can't seem to get into my router settings anymore. Have it set up with cable running from router to pc and powered on, enter 192.168.1.254 in my browser and just comes up saying problem connecting.

2. When I plug the phone line into modem to see if there is a connection, the dsl lights just keeps flashing, doesnt ever seem to get a solid connection. Would this be because I have no adsl splitter box and no filters on any of the other sockets in the house?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

1. How are you connecting the router to your PC? Try connecting your PC directly to the router and let it get an IP address by DHCP. Then try opening http://192.168.1.254 again. If that fails, reset the modem by holding down the reset pin at the back while plugging in the router to the electrical outlet.

2. Has your line been enabled yet? It can take a few days. If it has, you'll need to change the settings on the router. You must have microfilters on each socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

Hey,

That fixed problem one anyway, resetting it allowed me to get into it again.

I received a letter the other day telling me that it had been enabled so should be going. I have no filters on anything in the house, just have a phone cable running straight from the wall to the router. I'd imagine I need to pick up a splitter and a couple of filters to install around the house before It'll be up and running.

Cheers, Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Now that you can get in to the router:

Have you configured the username and password for BT ? The default Eircom won't work as Eircom identify you as a customer from your CLI and you won't show as one of their customers.

Microfilters :

Anywhere where you have a device connected to the phone line you need to have one of these. This includes Sky boxes that are connected to your phone line and alarm systems are are either monitored or check that the line is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hey,

1. I can't seem to get into my router settings anymore. Have it set up with

2. When I plug the phone line into modem to see if there is a connection, the
    Any advice?

Hi

Problem one may be to do with a firewall or some program like internet protection you may have on your pc. Make sure to switch all these off or add them to your trusted sites in the browser.

Problem two may be a problem between BT and Eircom. Ive had a lot of problems with eircom routers recently. One problem was eircom forgot to jack the client into the exchange, though they argued with me for hours that everything was perfect. Ring BT and ask them to do a line test to see if there is broadband on the line. A filter makes no difference, Broadband will work without a filter, so will voice but both wont without the filter.

Eoghan
    Fusion Networks
    Kerry

Cheers for all the replies!

I reckon it could be as fusion net was saying and that eircom have not activated the line yet. I got a filter today and that makes no difference. Have all the passwords set to the proper ones and still no luck. Will give them a call tomorrow and let ye know the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Cheers for all the replies!

I reckon it could be as fusion net was saying and that eircom have not activated the line yet. I got a filter today and that makes no difference. Have all the passwords set to the proper ones and still no luck. Will give them a call tomorrow and let ye know the outcome.

Keep at them, I rang every number and they all told me everything was ok, it was a local engineer found the fault on the exchange and fixed it. Eircom rang me and said is the line ok, I said ya cause I got a local guy to go to the exchange etc, she asked why did you do that!!! I waited two weeks for them to do it thats why I did it myself lady!!

Best of luck, if you live in a smaller town try and nab an engineer on the street and ask a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Do me a favour, connect your modem to your first phone point in the house on it's own (with and without the microfilter) and don't have any phones connected - see if you get a solid DSL then.

Hey,

An eircom engineer came out to the house and the trouble seems to be on my end. We had our whole house renovated and an extension put on about 4 years ago and I had asked for the phone lines to be re-wired, of course what ever fool did it just added on new wires onto the old system, leaving a load of phone wires running through the house. The engineer was able to get it to connect by connecting it straight from where it was entering the house but the signal is too messed up with the current wiring system to work properly. He said we would need to create a new socket and wire directly to that. From that then we could run the broadband. However he still said it wouldnt be capable of reaching great speeds as we are just at the border of the exchange so I'm going to keep the satellite broadband I had previously. More expensive but at least I know I'll have a fast enough connection with that.

Thanks for all the help!

Advertisement