Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You will need a better graphics card to play on higher graphical settings and to future proof playing pc games on medium-high quality. An 8800GTS, GTX or GT would be recommended if you can stretch budget.

Will you be overclocking?
    A-Data may suffice but not sure of the build quality so maybe you should
    consider a better/more well known brand of Ram.

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

and that processor isnt quad core in case you think it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Thanks for the reply. I have what I would consider better RAM, purchased 2 months ago (Corsair TWIN2X-2GB). Honestly, I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon. I think I'll be able to pay out roughly €350 ish for a better GFX card, would something like this be ok? --> Club3D 8800GTS. Budget wise, I'd like to keep it below €1,000.
    and that processor isnt quad core in case you think it is

Thanks for that, forgot to edit my post properly the first time:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A 512Mb 8800gt is faster & cheaper than that gts. Here. Maybe stretch to this, slightly faster, but 4Mb cache will make a big difference in games & your mobo supports it (or further to a Q6600 if possible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Get an 8800GT it's as good as and better then the GTS 640mb for about 100 euro less.

If you're not overclocking I'd use that extra money to get a better processor as well, maybe a Q6600.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A 512Mb 8800gt is faster & cheaper than that gts. Here. Maybe stretch to this, slightly faster, but 4Mb cache will make a big difference in games & your mobo supports it (or further to a Q6600 if possible)
    HavoK wrote: »
    Get an 8800GT it's as good as and better then the GTS 640mb for about 100 euro less.

If you're not overclocking I'd use that extra money to get a better processor as well, maybe a Q6600.

Sweet, that's great. Thanks for your replies. I'll start going through the list again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Go for a 8800 GT and a better a 6550/6750

So the build is now looking like this;

Motherboard -->ABIT IP35-E

Processor -->Intel Core 2Duo E6550

RAM -->Corsair TWIN2X PC6400

Hard Drive -->Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB

Powersupply -->Corsair PS 450W

Graphics Card-->MSI GeForce 8800GT

Case --> Gigabyte GZ-X1

DVD --> NEC DVD+- Burner

Comes to €820. Looks ok?

Thats sound & within your budget, rem ya can upgrade to a quad next yr & pop in 2 more gigs of ram :)

Edit: U noticed the 8800gt's are out of stock, everywhere are sold out of them. Also don't heed the dates Komplett say theyre back in stock as these are usually wrong from my experience, they do this fairly often to try to get your order. But they should be in stock in 2 or 3 weeks

Yeah I noticed this alright, but I'm going to have to wait until at least next Monday before ordering anyway. Hopefully there won't be much of a wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed this alright, but I'm going to have to wait until at least next Monday before ordering anyway. Hopefully there won't be much of a wait.

I was hoping the same myself but I was told that with the updated GTS just around the corner - Literally, this week if rumours are correct - then the delay might be a little longer...

Archytas wrote: »
    I was hoping the same myself but I was told that with the updated GTS just around the corner - Literally, this week if rumours are correct - then the delay might be a little longer...

Hrm, interesting point you bring to the table. Thanks for that info.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    So the build is now looking like this;

Motherboard -->ABIT AB9 Quad GT

Processor -->Intel Core 2Duo E6550

RAM -->Corsair TWIN2X PC6400

Hard Drive -->Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB

Powersupply -->Corsair PS 450W

Graphics Card-->MSI GeForce 8800GT

Case --> Gigabyte GZ-X1

DVD --> NEC DVD+- Burner

Comes to €845. Looks ok?

maybe I'm wrong , but E6550 processor wont work on 965 chipset as its 1333 fsb, look for P 35 board like ABIT IP35-E and its cheaper
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335662

Ya, good catch, even Komplett got it wrong.

ricka05 wrote: »
    maybe I'm wrong , but E6550 processor wont work on 965 chipset as its 1333 fsb, look for P 35 board like ABIT IP35-E and its cheaper
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335662

:eek: Thanks for the heads up, didn't catch onto that at all.

Advertisement