Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi all, Question about internet here.

Options
  • 11-11-2007 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I've recently moved to Dublin from Australia and am looking into getting broadband. Ireland seems to be a bit like Australia in that it everyone seems to be (rightly so) complaining about the service provided by ISPs. With that in mind i thought i would ask for some advice in what broadband i should be getting. Basically i will be living very close to the CBD, very close to the central bus station, so i think i should have most options available to me. I'd like to get a connection with no download limits, and i see some providers offer that, but most don't so i guess its not essential that i go with unlimited download. Smart telecom seems to be a good group to go with, the poll has them in decent standing, basically im wondering if there is anything i should defenitly avoid. Smart has a free 3 month trail offered and im planning on ringing them up to 'ask more' about it, anyone had any experience with that offer?
    im reading other threads and trying to get updated on all the different offers but there is alot of information out there and i guess i would like to get set up as soon as i can so i thought i'd ask for peoples suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some things to consider:

(1) Read all the "sticky" threads in this forum

(2) Have you already got a phone line? If you switch to Smart I think you will have to sign up for their phone line, and you will have to change your number.

(3) Do you want a phone line? If not, no point paying extra cash so maybe look beyond Eircom\BT\Smart.

(4) I'm on Smart, and once they got the service going I've had very few complaints. The service was down this weekend in my area for the first time in ages but engineers are looking into it now.

(5) From anecdotal evidence, I'd steer clear of NTL because of their customer service and go for either Eircom, BT or Smart for a full phone+broadband package. Eircom tends to be more expensive than other companies, but you usually get the best infrastructure in terms of support and reliability.

That's my two cents.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Advertisement