Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Highly Recommended 8.30pm RTE1 tonight

• 11-11-2007 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Attention Bargain Nerds. Should be worth a view.

About The Show
    Highly Recommended is a new six part lifestyle consumer show presented by Joe Duffy. Members of the public compete each week to convince a panel of consumer experts that their deal shoould be Highly Recommended..

The consumers pitch their bargains to Joe, the panel and the studio audience. Our panel of experts will then scrutinise these deals while Joe will interview members of the studio audience for their opinions and experiences of these types of deals. If the deal stays strong throughout the debate and the panel are convinced it should be Highly Recommended the consumer wins €2000.

Issues covered may range from health insurance, medical and dental holidays, electrical goods, online shopping, weddings and many more. The verdict is only the Panel’s opinion each week we want you to vote free on our online poll and tell us if you Highly Recommend the featured deals. The results will be featured at the start of the following show.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The only problem is Joe Duffy is hosting it :(
    Wonder will boards.ie get a mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

okidoki987 wrote: »

lol nice. Yes we want our 3 seconds of fame :p

You mentioned we above.
    What type of connection do you personally have with the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

anyone watch it? i was in the audience :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

BCawley wrote: »
    lol nice. Yes we want our 3 seconds of fame :p

You mentioned we above.
    What type of connection do you personally have with the show?

None i would guess, just looks like a copy/paste promo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

I thought it was a very good show, however I’ve noticed an issue for us Bargain Alerts regulars.

From the Bargain Alerts forum, I was aware that denistry in the North was cheaper than in the South. However, in the show last night, a dentist from Banbridge (Co Down) told everyone that his charges are approximately 30% cheaper than down south. As a few hundred thousand people saw this show, I would expect that dentists in border areas will now become inundated with calls from the south, demand will become greater than supply and so prices will start to converge to southern levels. For those few thousand of us clever enough to use Bargain Alerts, it will make bargain hunting in this area that bit more difficult.

So overall, I think we’re better off just to share our information with Bargain Alerts forum regulars and not with the TV watching public. This is just my opinion. It’s a free country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Yeah I watched it. Was asked to take part but am out of the country on these dates. Bit weak I thought and I felt sorry for the contestants. They looked very vunerable standing without a podium or anything to hide behind.

Joe Duffy who I hate on the radio did a good job and Ben Dunne was hysterical, ( just like his gift grub character). How did they persuade that farmer to get in the bath? Cringe! As for the woman with the bargain teeth. All she had to do was go her own dentist and get him to verify the quality of the work. Either she didn't or he told her they were a rubbish job and will cause trouble.

Still the show might improve and it's good to have a public forum for value seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Somebody should go on and argue the case for the Play.com £5 voucher that did the rounds last Xmas. Loads of boardsie's went nuts with that one ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

okidoki987 wrote: »
    The only problem is Joe Duffy is hosting it :(

It got a mention *cough cough* :p (or will be getting a mention on 9th December ) :D

yop wrote: »
    It got a mention *cough cough* :p (or will be getting a mention on 9th December ) :D

Please don't let them talk you into stripping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

It looked like a bargain spotters version of dragons den, the lady who went to Turkey for dental work got a really hard time from the panel and the dentists in the audience, which I thought was a bit OTT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

aaf wrote: »
    Somebody should go on and argue the case for the Play.com £5 voucher that did the rounds last Xmas. Loads of boardsie's went nuts with that one ;)
    Interestingly enough I received a book from Play today.
    I ordered it last year using a £5 voucher but it was out of stock.
    Guess it must have only come back into stock recently.
    Crazy lag.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Grawns wrote: »
    Please don't let them talk you into stripping!

Talk me into it!!! I was in the bath in me jocks without been asked :)

I know what I'll be watching on the 9th December:eek:

Grawns wrote: »
    I know what I'll be watching on the 9th December:eek:

Easy tiger ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think a lot of dentists here in Ireland are trying to discredit dentists in other countries in the hope of trying to put people of going abroad for dental treatment.

There are plenty of dentists here who do shoddy work too and I've seen enough of that shoddy work to know what I'm talking about.

I would be extremely wary of the work carried out on the woman who had 25 root treatments and then had them crowned. That is not normal by most standards.

I enjoyed the programme and think Ben Dunne is very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

deisemum wrote: »
    I think a lot of dentists here in Ireland are trying to discredit dentists in other countries in the hope of trying to put people of going abroad for dental treatment.

There are plenty of dentists here who do shoddy work too and I've seen enough of that shoddy work to know what I'm talking about.

I would be extremely wary of the work carried out on the woman who had 25 root treatments and then had them crowned. That is not normal by most standards.

Yea, that's been all over the meja, how the f**k did she get to that state without going mad with pain??

As to discredding... I know of two dentists who's dad owns a practise in NI who have moved from London to Limerick (of all places:rolleyes:) and set up there because in the new rich republic they can make much more money than in poor NHS driven NI.

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Worst programme ever imo (or at least up there!)

More cringe TV from RTE. I can't beleive that crap got commissioned.

"Instead of taking an indepth look at any of the issues, lets just waste our time with a piss poor cross between X-Factor and Dragons Den."

Horrible graphics and a truly awful programme. Up there with The Cassidys in terms of awfulness imo.

woooo232 wrote: »
    Worst programme ever imo (or at least up there!)

More cringe TV from RTE. I can't beleive that crap got commissioned.

"Instead of taking an indepth look at any of the issues, lets just waste our time with a piss poor cross between X-Factor and Dragons Den."

Horrible graphics and a truly awful programme. Up there with The Cassidys in terms of awfulness imo.

Ah your just jealous that you did not get the chance to win 2k :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

FrCrilly wrote: »
    I thought it was a very good show, however I’ve noticed an issue for us Bargain Alerts regulars.

From the Bargain Alerts forum, I was aware that denistry in the North was cheaper than in the South. However, in the show last night, a dentist from Banbridge (Co Down) told everyone that his charges are approximately 30% cheaper than down south. As a few hundred thousand people saw this show, I would expect that dentists in border areas will now become inundated with calls from the south, demand will become greater than supply and so prices will start to converge to southern levels. For those few thousand of us clever enough to use Bargain Alerts, it will make bargain hunting in this area that bit more difficult.

So overall, I think we’re better off just to share our information with Bargain Alerts forum regulars and not with the TV watching public. This is just my opinion. It’s a free country!

The NI dentistry thing is very well known already. Bargain Alerts tends to alert you as they happen, I don't think it will be effected too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

deisemum wrote: »
    exactly, there was something in the metro or herald am the other day with warnings, I hate that crap. Even if it was good work it is in their interest to discredit it. Also there are many ways to skin a cat and dentists might have differing opinions on what is most suitable, just like any profession.

A foreign dentist who is good should have references available from people in your country, if he has done work on Irish people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement