Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How painful can it be?

Options
  • 11-11-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Not sure if the topic was covered before, sorry.
    I got one tattoo (on my shoulder) and planning on getting a second one.
    One of the places I tought about was my foot. Now getting my first tattoo didn't hurt at all(I barely felt it) but wondering if it may be different depending on the place?
    I heard a theory that some people are... more delicate(?) ;) and the procedure is extremely unpleasant/hurtful for them and some who are ok with any tattoo in any place.

Anyone with personal experiences/views on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

hey,i got a foot tattoo,easiest tattoo iv ever gotten!from what i understand is,if you have really boney foot,its gonna hurt more,i can see any of those small bones on mine,maybe my feet are just FAT,i dunno!!alto my g/f got her first one on her foot,just some stars and she couldnt stand it,her feet arent all boney either.But soneone always gonna say 'oh it didnt hurt at all' or 'ah it kills!',so theres only one way for you to find out if its gonna hurt or not!good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ShellyB

Hey there, I got a tattoo on my foot earlier this year and it wasn't too painful. My foot is pretty bony and I have to admit that it felt sorer to get tattooed on the ankle and near the very bottom of my foot than on top of the foot but nothing unbearable! And totally worth it regardless of course :) I reckon just go for it, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Personally I am of the belief that if you are worried about the pain involved, which will only last a short time in comparison to how long you will have the tattoo/piercing, then perhaps tattoos aren't for you.

After all, you are getting an electric needle shoved into you over and over tearing your skin open while it inserts inks. Obviously it will hurt somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Yeah, I got my first tatt a few months ago, have 6 piercings already, now the piercings didn't hurt but my body kinda went into shock after my tongue and i near passed out, so I was pretty nervous about my tatt, and my god I found it so much worse than any piercings, and got the same shock I did with tongue, was certain I was about to pass out on the chair, it's on my hip and my description of the pain is it's like having a rusty nail dragged through your flesh, and it was sore and irritated for a few days after and i cursed it to high heavens but i totally love it now!

So yeah, down to personal pain threshold and how bad you want it, if it's summit you really want you'll suffer it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Le Rack wrote: »
    ...so I was pretty nervous about my tatt, and my god I found it so much worse than any piercings, and got the same shock I did with tongue, was certain I was about to pass out on the chair, it's on my hip and my description of the pain is it's like having a rusty nail dragged through your flesh, and it was sore and irritated for a few days after and i cursed it to high heavens but i totally love it now!
    Yeah, piercings are for pansies, tattoos for toughies! :p ROFL

Anyway, we get these sort of questions a lot and I'm afraid the only answer is that it'll vary completely from person to person, even where the most painful regions are tend to differ from one person to another.
    Some people will barely feel it, others can be bawling their eyes out in pain.
    Since you barely felt your first tattoo I'd say you've good odds that it won't hurt too much, but then the foot has more nerves than most places in the body (as I found out when much younger putting my foot in scalding hot water:() whereas I found the shoulder was probably the least painful one I've gotten so far so there's no telling how much the foot one might hurt you really. Only way to find out is to go and get the tattoo I'm afraid.

But as per Le Rack's experience it is quite possible for it to remain sore for days or even weeks (for me on the spine) after, as such it'd probably be best if you could spend as much time as possible for a few days afterwards without footwear, other than perhaps sandles if the straps are away from the tattoo, so that there is as little rubbing irritation to the area as possible while the nerves heal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

farohar wrote: »
    Yeah, piercings are for pansies, tattoos for toughies! :p ROFL

Hey I'm gettin more tatts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Le Rack wrote: »
    Hey I'm gettin more tatts!

Hurah! My creative marketing worked*!:D

*In spite of lacking any basis in the realm of truth....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

THIS painful:

Ok, a slight exaggeration maybe, but still funny.

Advertisement