Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish lessons

Options
  • 11-11-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get Irish lessons? Need to learn Irish, leaving cert honours standard. I'm absolutely crap at it, but I'm a quick learner.

Comments

It really depends on yourself. I assume you're going back to do honours irish for the LC? If so, some 'grind' schools run courses aimed at people going back to do honours. If it's too late to enroll, then you could get private tutoring from someone offering grinds. There's a thread over in the Leaving Cert forum full of people offering Leaving Cert grinds so that might have someone offering their services.

If you're looking for somewhere to talk to someone else about it (although it'd be more typing than talking!) there's the Teach na nGaelt forum here on boards.ie. I'm sure the people there wouldn't mind you dropping in and asking some questions about your gramadach :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

The first thing to do is log off boards.ie irrevocably ( a stronghold of the English language). Next is to relocate to Ireland north or south (it is hard to learn Irish outside the old country). Search notice boards in colleges and adverts in local newspapers for courses compatible with your work hours/recreations/hours of idleness ( I hope you are translating this as an exercise by the way). In cases of utter desperation contact the govt agency Conradh na Gaelge ( regarded with anarchistic suspicion by true gaeligeoirs; and are there any other kind). Suffer the discouragement/mockery/hostility of your fellow-( but indifferent) inheritors of an ancient gaelic culture. Avoid 'immersion' only language teachers; it will be difficult enough to learn, you've got to use any language skills you've already acquired 'as bearla'. The author prefers to learn iron rations of grammar of a language first (Mark Twain's advice;'find the verb, the verb is the key') and make copious handwritten notes (burns them into the memory, like a CD writer) and then expand the vocabulary. Tough through discouragement/disappoinment/frustration/setbacks/reversals/hopelessness. Keep or acquire a GSOH. Observe. You are not mastering a language; you are on an experiential journey.
    Rate the usefulness of this advice: not at all/worse than pointless/what advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

thanks - not actually doing the leaving cert. need to get up to that standard for work-related ambitions

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The first thing to do is log off boards.ie irrevocably ( a stronghold of the English language). Next is to relocate to Ireland north or south (it is hard to learn Irish outside the old country). Search notice boards in colleges and adverts in local newspapers for courses compatible with your work hours/recreations/hours of idleness ( I hope you are translating this as an exercise by the way). In cases of utter desperation contact the govt agency Conradh na Gaelge ( regarded with anarchistic suspicion by true gaeligeoirs; and are there any other kind). Suffer the discouragement/mockery/hostility of your fellow-( but indifferent) inheritors of an ancient gaelic culture. Avoid 'immersion' only language teachers; it will be difficult enough to learn, you've got to use any language skills you've already acquired 'as bearla'. The author prefers to learn iron rations of grammar of a language first (Mark Twain's advice;'find the verb, the verb is the key') and make copious handwritten notes (burns them into the memory, like a CD writer) and then expand the vocabulary. Tough through discouragement/disappoinment/frustration/setbacks/reversals/hopelessness. Keep or acquire a GSOH. Observe. You are not mastering a language; you are on an experiential journey.
    Rate the usefulness of this advice: not at all/worse than pointless/what advice?
    Why would he log off boards.ie? If you have a problem with this site being a "stronghold of the English language", then maybe you should log off.

Who said he was outside the country?

If he's looking to learn Irish, translating your post might be a bit advanced.

I'd rate the usefulness of your advice as "could do better with less waffle".

You're new here so try and familiarise yourself with the rules and we'll get along just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 konawi

Anyone know where I can get Irish lessons? Need to learn Irish, leaving cert honours standard. I'm absolutely crap at it, but I'm a quick learner.

If you're only wanting to learn how to speak you try some online courses like www.gaeltalk.net or byki -> i've heard of a lot of americans who use both together because the byki helps you learn offline whenver you want and gaeltalk actually gives you live tutoring online using skype at times you choose I think so it's dead handy. I think they do stuff for the leaving cert as well. otherwise take a holiday in teh gaeltacht!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement