Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good sci fi recommendations?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The problem with Richard Morgan is that his plotting lacks depth. If you read Alistair Reynolds Chasm City, you get a real crime-noir detective piece set in the far future. Its first person narrative style echo's Raymond Chandler's classic detective stories. But there is much more going on under the surface.

I'll give that a go - I've nothing to compare the Morgan stuff against really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Did he write Lion of Macedon? I read a few pages of that but it failed to grab my attention.

not that i am aware of i might be mistaken but i think you have him mixed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

ixoy wrote: »
    Also try Donaldson's Gap series - it can be hard to obtain but it's gripping stuff.
    Absoloutely double and triple recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Space Opera, eh? EE "Doc" Smith - the Skylark and Lensman series should fit the bill. If you can get them....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

heres a link I just discovered on the topic
    http://www.bookyards.com/categories.html?type=links&category_id=1801
    I've read some arthur c clarke and I think hes a genius
    3001 a space odyseey is a great read; the conclusion to the space odesey series

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lifes_a_Witch

Galactic Milieu by Julian May....rip roaring Space Opera at its very finest.

Altered Carbon by Morgan.....and like somebody else - Just finished Enders Game - very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Toche Guevara

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Space Opera, eh? EE "Doc" Smith - the Skylark and Lensman series should fit the bill. If you can get them....

I have the Lensman series first two books and they are awful:D

They practically created the sub-genre, but sci-fi has moved on a long way since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I have the Lensman series first two books and they are awful:D

They practically created the sub-genre, but sci-fi has moved on a long way since then.

Opinions, eh? :) They are very light, no question, but they epitomise Space Opera, which is, after all, what the OP expressed interest in. Had he/she wanted sci-fi I might have recommended Bob Shaw...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭John The Bad

hupyago wrote: »
    3001 a space odyseey is a great read; the conclusion to the space odesey series

Really? I thought 3001 was abysmal.

Advertisement