Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Skypephone Launch

• 11-11-2007 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Is it true 3 are going to launch their skypephone tomorrow??
    Anybody here thinking of switching to three to avail of this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to this if an existing three customer and not out of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would this Skypephone not require a reliable data connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

There was a big article about this today in the SBP.

Yes, this would need a high quality data connection and given 3's recent history in this area, I am highly dubious about whether this would be enough for a voice call.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

arctictree wrote: »
    There was a big article about this today in the SBP.

Yes, this would need a high quality data connection and given 3's recent history in this area, I am highly dubious about whether this would be enough for a voice call.

A

The Three Skype Application is based on the iskoot client which isn't reliant on data, but dials a number instead and then connects the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I'm sure the USB broadband customers must be really delighted to hear that yet another data reliant service with such mass market appeal is to be launched on the Three Ireland network when apparently big issues still exist in the provision of even basic data services such as email, FTP and VPN usage.

As an X-Series Gold customer I am more than a little disgruntled as I still don't seem to be able to stream third party RTSP streams for more than a minute or two on their existing network.

Perhaps Three Ireland should take a moment to consider adequately meeting the needs of their existing customers before roping in a whole set of new ones.

www.3broadband.info

www.iskoot.com

neilled wrote:
    The Three Skype Application is based on the iskoot client which isn't reliant on data, but dials a number instead and then connects the call.

That is true of the existing Skype client which comes with X-Series phones to a certain degree. However the login process does require a data connection and a 3G one at that. Also maintaining presence information requires data usage. I also assume that the new text messaging feature will also employ a data connection to operate.

On a saturated or close to saturated network additional demand won't be helpful for anyone. This is not to say that the Three Ireland data network is in any way saturated. It is merely to suggest that given the way the demand for their USB modem "surprised" them in the summer, and given that by their own admission they are still working on issues relating to the "upgrade" they carried out at that time, the wisdom of launching a new service sitting on the back of that network is open to question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i am a phone broadband user and would not rely on any skype connection with three as their whole set-up is diabolically slow and unreliable and they regularly block sites and then their customer care deny it all till you get so fed up you just throw your hands in the air!

Bluefrog wrote: »
    That is true of the existing Skype client which comes with X-Series phones to a certain degree. However the login process does require a data connection and a 3G one at that. Also maintaining presence information requires data usage. I also assume that the new text messaging feature will also employ a data connection to operate.

On a saturated or close to saturated network additional demand won't be helpful for anyone. This is not to say that the Three Ireland data network is in any way saturated. It is merely to suggest that given the way the demand for their USB modem "surprised" them in the summer, and given that by their own admission they are still working on issues relating to the "upgrade" they carried out at that time, the wisdom of launching a new service sitting on the back of that network is open to question.

Appologies, I should have elaborated that It doesn't rely on data for the transmission of voice, but as bluefrog and others have said it does rely on data transmission to log in, keep signed in, alter status etc.

I've ran Iskoot sucessfully in the past with no problems but as others have said it remains to see how stable the service will be. Theres a fair bit of demand for the service as it stands but its disappointing that only contract customers with x-series will be allowed access skype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i am a phone broadband user and would not rely on any skype connection with three as their whole set-up is diabolically slow and unreliable and they regularly block sites and then their customer care deny it all till you get so fed up you just throw your hands in the air!

They will no doubt prioritise skype traffic in a similar manner to how my orb streming on x-series Gold works now. Their skype service is barely dependent on data usage as it is only for logging in etc so I'd be curious as to whether it works on the 2G service also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anon00

guys,

you would have to be stark raving maD to rely on a successful skyperphone service from three, I mean seriosuly have any of ye looked at the 3 broadband thread, its a good three hour read if you got time to kill.

Jimmy I have yet to successfully log in using the Three Skype client on a 2g connection and it's not for lack of trying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

dingding wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to this if an existing three customer and not out of contract.

See http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=TECHNOLOGY-qqqm=nav-qqqid=28087-qqqx=1.asp

Only prepay at moment, not sure what would stop u getting it and putting your billpay sim into it though...

Not on www.three.ie web site at moment despite yesterday's SBP saying tomororrow. i.e. today

EDIT: Seems to be only available in the 3Store's themselves, other retailers say next week

EDIT2: Picked one up from a 3Store at lunchtime, you can use it on Billpay, receipt says €151.25 and discount of €52.25 giving €99, also comes with 512MB MicroSD card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

anon00 wrote: »
    guys,

you would have to be stark raving maD to rely on a successful skyperphone service from three, I mean seriosuly have any of ye looked at the 3 broadband thread, its a good three hour read if you got time to kill.

Fortunately three broadband is distinct from the usb broadband thingy. Three's skype service is ingenious because it uses a normal phone call for the the mobile to network part.

The PC Sync software it very very basic, it does work, but don't expect a nice polished look!

if you are in 3G coverage and move to Vodafone GPRS Skype stays logged in and you can send skype msgs but not make calls, you can receive a call but the skype name won't show up

If you start in Vodafone GPRS coverage you cannot login to Skype

In 3G coverage the skype username shows up for the incoming call

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Does the Skype phone have live messenger on it also?
    And conversely does skype on the non-skype phone (e.g. nokia 6120) support skype chat as well as skype calls?

brophis wrote: »
    Does the Skype phone have live messenger on it also?
    And conversely does skype on the non-skype phone (e.g. nokia 6120) support skype chat as well as skype calls?

Says MSN is not supported at the moment for the handset when u try and download it from 3

If you have Symbian phone download Fring for Skype calls and Skype msgs

3 used GSM network for Skype calls not data, so call quality is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

does anyone use java applications on 3 mobile on an n95, need to know if java charting software i use will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Any reviews on this guys quality etc? Am I right in saysing once you login on Three's network you can use it anywhere weather you have 3G coverage or not? Can you use skype chat also? What other features does the phone have can you install java apps on it?

Has anyone used it on a Nokia 6120 or the Sony Ericsson K530i does it work in the same way can you use the chat feature etc?

Cheers Guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 phonefanatic

like gaydar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 phonefanatic

foggy_lad wrote: »

like gaydar?

Well I don't have the skypephone but I am using the Three Skype client on an n73 on a regular basis and I have never managed to connect outside a 3G area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Well I don't have the skypephone but I am using the Three Skype client on an n73 on a regular basis and I have never managed to connect outside a 3G area.

Whats the quality like would you notice any difference between that and a mobile call?

It says montly top up required so is it enough to top up with 10e and if the preson you were calling didn't top up could you still call them for free etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

@Bluefrog: does the N73 version of skype support chat yet?

Was wondering about that yesterday myself and the answer is no - just downloeded a fresh copy of the app and still no text support.

Once again, in their scramble to get new customers Three Ireland seem to have forgotten their existing ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I assume you are permantently connected IF you are in a 3G area and you have the client running.

• Advertisement

Advertisement