Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen clutter

Options
  • 11-11-2007 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

So, if you've got a car that's 4 years old, or even older, you now have to have 1 foot by 4 inches of your windscreen taken up by three large certificates, namely Insurance, Tax and NCT.

In Poland, they have one little sticker, it's holographic to prevent copying, and it's about half an inch, by 2 inches. Displaying it means your car has road tax, Insurance, and is roadworthy. In the UK they have a Tax Disc, which can't be issued unless you provide Insurance details and MOT details. So why does Paddy have a road hazard stuck to the Windscreen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I find it quite handy ...

I stuck the bloody thing in the spot behind the rearview mirror that the sunblinds don't quite cover up when you pull them down :cool:

(nice to see the guards on their toes :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not a hazard, I've never heard anyone complain that it was unsafe before.

And if it's in the bottom left of the windscreen like most vehicles, I fail to see how it hinders the driver view.

Crazy rant tbh-with the exception of the holographic part

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

peasant wrote: »
    I find it quite handy ...

I stuck the bloody thing in the spot behind the rearview mirror that the sunblinds don't quite cover up when you pull them down :cool:

(nice to see the guards on their toes :D)

Good idea, might do that as high as I can on the transit, see the guards on my bonnet trying to look up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I just don't see the need to loose 1 foot of my windscreen due to bureaucracy and red tape. And I suppose the real point I'm trying to make, is that it's a bit last century, and unsightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

have they made windscreens that small yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cremo wrote: »
    have they made windscreens that small yet?

newtitel.jpg

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Better still just put tax and third party insurance on fuel. Disks be damned!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I have the tax and ins cert on the bottom left hand side and the nct cert behind my rear view mirror, but it has always left me wondering what way the States have thiers. But if aint broken why fix it, personally i think there is more pressing motoring issues to be addressed than the Nct Tax and Ins disc system.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Legally they are suppossed to be on the bottom nearside of the windscreen not more than 2 inches from the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In Holland they have absolutely nothing, zilch, nada in the windscreen. Everything (tax, insurance, APK (NCT equivalent)) is tied to the registration number. They used to have a tax disc of sorts about 10 years ago, but did away with them when the new technology was brought in. Maybe in another 10 years we might have caught up here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I agree with ned78.

..not because theyre a hazard but more because theyre unsightly. I just dont understand why they have to be so big? - could they not make them into smaller stickers or something that are less, even if it is 3 of them in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It doesn't really bother me, but why make us display an insurance disc when the Gardai don't believe it. Ever time people are stopped they ask you to produce your insurance cert in a Garda station within 10 days. So whats the point of the disc on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I agree with you ned78, in fact when I had my car NCT'd for the first time last month I bought the holder from the etst centre............didn't really think about it too much until I got to the car !

The holder, in general, are far bigger than they need to be, they have an extra marging of about 10/15mm around their edges !

That got me thinking as to why Insurance discs need to be that size. Suely there is a smarter way of doing this, whatever about modern cars, some older cars definitley have the vision reduced by using these things !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the UK they have a huge proble of uninsured cars, if they had an insurance disc like we do it would make detect insurance dodgers a bit easier.

Advertisement