Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glow-worm boiler pressure problem

Options
  • 11-11-2007 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all

I have a Glow-worm gas boiler (30si) which is about 3 years old. It's cutting out with low pressure. Reading the manual tells me I need to refill it using an 'external filling device' and many posts on here in answer to similar problems suggest refilling the boiler either by opening a tap/valve near the boiler or in the hot press. Anyone any idea what they might mean by an 'external filling device' or how I might go about this.

On another issue - someone in work suggested I need to run the bolier with the pressure relief valve open which has led me to the discovery that I don't seem to have one - or, I do, but it's not piped to outside?? I've checked the other units around me and the all have the standard small pipe coming out a bit under the flue - but I don't?!?!? I can see a valve under the boiler with 3 bar written on it which I'm guessing may be it but it leads to a pipe which goes nowhere.....

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

An external filling device is simply a pipe connecting the mains to the boiler system. Often a piece of flexible braided pipe. It is used for topping up the boiler. There should be a valve on it that you can open to top up the system to 1 bar. You may have to use a screwdriver to open it.

The pressure release valve shouldn't be opened. It is a safety valve but opening it can cause problems as they don't always fully close again. Does the pipe coming from it just finish in the room or does it go into a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JamesonGirl

I'll have a another look for that pipe tonight - thanks
    Edit: Still can't see a pipe that I can't account for - I think it may be time to give up and get an expert in:(

If the valve I'm looking at - with 3bar written on it - is the pressure release valve then it finishes in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JamesonGirl

Woo-hoo!!

Cheers Beldin - I was so cold tonight I decided to have a good read through old fora before calling a plumber in the morning.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054849893

I found a pressure valve reading zero in the hot-press, there was a tap above it which was open so I tightened the nut below the valve slowly - the pressure rose. I've shut it off about 1bar and the heating has kicked back in!! Thanks for your help!

Not quite sure what to do about the pressure release valve in my living room though....

Advertisement