Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista vs XP and a little help

Options
  • 11-11-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm thinking of getting a new PC with a very high spec, I'm not sure though what operating system to use, I'd like to use the advantages of direct x 10 but I need Vista for that and I've read some bad things about it. What are peoples experiences with using Vista so far.
    Also I plan to keep my current pc but make some upgrades so that I can still play the games that you can't run on Vista, I also have a lot of software on my current PC that I need.
    My specs on that are:
    Motherboard: ASUS A8N SLI SE (PCI-Express)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600GS (256MB)
    RAM:1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    Does anyone know what are the highest possible upgrades I can do with my current system eg best graphics card that the motherboard will run.
    Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm running Vista 64 bit and my games seem to run just as well as they did in XP (32 bit) on it. I'm not aware of any windows xp games that don't run on vista.

Your existing system will take any of today's bleeding-edge graphics cards as they're still all PCI-Express. I'd stick more ram in it anyways, as memory is at all-time low prices at the moment. I bought 2GB last week for €48+vat. A dual core Athlon CPU mightn't be a bad move either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm running Vista 32 bit and have no real complaints with regards to playing games. But Vista is a pile of ****e. It's like MS actually went out of their way to make it as awkward and fiddly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

threads like this always get booted to the operating system forum. can we keep this one in games as there will be more feedback from a gamers perspective.

i have vista 32 bit, no complaints. i get a little more juice from xp tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

My specs on that are:
    Motherboard: ASUS A8N SLI SE (PCI-Express)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600GS (256MB)
    RAM:1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    Does anyone know what are the highest possible upgrades I can do with my current system eg best graphics card that the motherboard will run.
    Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

ud wanna ask that in building and upgrading under the computer forum, ul get sum good feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm currently running Vista 32bit and 64bit on 2 of my home PC's. I haven't noticed slowdown in any games. Plus I keep aero and dreamscene wallpapers on all the time.

Those of us who remember the jump from Windows 2000 to XP will accept the somewhat buggy Vista. IMHO Vista is a LOT better than when I first started using XP, but this wasn't as noticeable because 2000 still had its issues when XP was released. But because MS left such a gap between OS's, XP had time to become an accepted, supported and stable OS, Moving to Vista now makes any slgiht GUI or performance issue a big thing.

Still, I wouldn't go back. I've had no major issues thus far which I haven't been able to solve from a quick google.

I will say though the 32bit version of Vista seems to start faster and is more responsive than my 64bit version, even though it is running on a slower machine. If it wasn't for the RAM cap in the 32bit version i'd probably of stayed with Vista 32 for both machines.

So if you aren't getting more than 2GB of RAM, stick with Vista 32bit

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I have Vista 32. I had a few teething problems at first but those were sorted out. Other than that I've had no real problems other than having to update some drivers. I quite like Vista. Its far better than XP for multimedia stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Intel duo quad cores are dirt cheap on komplett, youll need a new mainboard and ram, but......... quad core.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im building a new pc next yr so I was thinking of moving over to vista then,my brother is using vista 64bit and has told he has had no real problems with it,he also said theres no way he'd go back to xp.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

but......... quad core.....
    qzzzz qzzzz :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DamoBrad

XP is a great OS since its kinda dated now but all the updates are easily located, Vista is quite nice and fresh and appealin.. but.. its constantly full of user interactions to be confirmen, like openin an application.. it constantly asks for ur confirmation, it gets on ur tits after a while, plus Vista still has a lot of quirks and bugs and u can't play many games wit it because somehow it finds them incompatiable..

but either way the choice is ur's..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Sorry to bring the off topic, but i wanted to ask will my old games (XP games) run on Vista? Im getting a new high spec computer with Vista and just wondering if i can run my old games on it?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

DamoBrad wrote: »
    XP is a great OS since its kinda dated now but all the updates are easily located, Vista is quite nice and fresh and appealin.. but.. its constantly full of user interactions to be confirmen, like openin an application.. it constantly asks for ur confirmation, it gets on ur tits after a while, plus Vista still has a lot of quirks and bugs and u can't play many games wit it because somehow it finds them incompatiable..

but either way the choice is ur's..

It only takes a couple of seconds to turn those confirmations off (control panel > user accounts > turn user account control off)

After setting up a dual boot of Vista x64 and XP, I can safely say that XP is far superior for games. Crysis runs like a dog on medium settings on Vista, but runs nicely on high settings on XP.
    (I've tried using the most recent beta nvidia drivers and the last stable release for Vista)

You shouldn't have any problems, Michael Cravez

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There is still considerably better drivers and performance in XP, and after using Vista for a few months I cant think of one compelling reason to upgrade...

And XP SP3 seems to boost performance another little bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

yup, custom pc mag did a review a few months back and found only one game, yes ONE preformed better on Vista than XP (game was stalker)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

XP is 6 or 7 years old. Vista is 11 months old.

Also, before XP came out, developers were given a beta version to test their code on, for drivers, etc. Didn't happen with Vista, so a lot of "proper" Vista drivers didn't come out till March.

Finally, Vista has a completely new way of doing things. A lot of Windows 2000 drivers worked on XP (with no editing), but only a few XP drivers (after being edited) worked with Vista.

Thus, most things will run smoother on XP, as it's more stable than Vista.

I'll say one good thing about Vista x64, though: as it's more "official" than XP x64 (I can count on my hand how many working x64 XP AV packages I've found), there are more drivers and applications for Vista x64 (esp when you note it's only being out 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ehh... Vista had betas available for ages, both public and even more extensively to MSDN subscribers... i.e. developers during the 2 years preceding its release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

have vista home premium x64 running grand here xfi drivers and all finaly work as do the nvidia drivers would never go back to xp tbh

Advertisement