Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Rifle

• 11-11-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Hi

Awaiting new licence for cz452. not shot yet, brand spanking new.

What should I do?

Just shoot 100 rounds through it and clean it. Clean it and shooot 100 rounds through it.

Shoot 1,000 rounds through it and then clean it.

Cleaning is for poofs!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

dresden8 wrote: »
    Hi

What should I do?

Just shoot 100 rounds through it and clean it. Clean it and shoot 100 rounds through it.

Shoot 1,000 rounds through it and then clean it.

Cleaning is for poofs!

Thoughts?

Definitly not the above anyway:D
    Shot 1 clean once,shoot 2 clean,shoot 3 clean,shoot 4 clean i think it goes in that pattern;) i use a hoppes boresnake its very quick and leaves the bore sparkling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What calibre is it?

When I got my .22 I just cleaned the factory gunk out of it then away I went. Have cleaned it once since March I think. Always give it a wipe with an oily rag (fingerprints cause rust) after use. Accuracy has never been affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

For a sporting .22lr, I don't see any need for frequent cleaning of the bore - other bits definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

go to www.border-barrels.com

Shoot 1, clean 1 5times
    Shoot 3 clean 1 a few times
    Shoot 10 clean 1 a few more times
    The more tomes the better for accuracy.

G IN' A BARREL

There is much discussion about 'shooting in' a barrel. Everybody seems to have their own way of doing it, so this is a brief monograph about how we do it.
    But first, a few words on why 'shooting in' a barrel is necessary. No matter how well lapped or how finely finished the internal surface of the barrel is, the first few bullets down the barrel seem to leave a significant fraction of themselves behind as heavy metal fouling. A subsequent bullet shot up a barrel with heavy metal fouling will tend to press that fouling into the barrel causing dints and roughness in a bore that the barrel maker has gone to a lot of trouble to make smooth and even. So it is important to get all that metal fouling out before shooting another bullet up the barrel.

When we shoot in a barrel, we fire one shot and then use a phosphor bronze brush and Shooters Choice to clean the barrel of powder fouling and loose dirt. Having dried out the barrel with a few patches, we squirt some Forrest bore foam up the barrel and leave it sitting for 24 hours to get out all the metal fouling. There is no way to quickly clean metal fouling out of a barrel and we find Forrest bore foam seems to do the job best as the foam clings to the whole interior surface of the barrel.

After 24 hours the Forrest bore foam has turned dark blue, but all traces of the metal fouling is gone. Now we fire another shot and repeat the process.

We do this about five times. Finally, we fire five shots and then give the barrel a final 24 hour soak in Forrest bore foam. The bore of the barrel will now have been 'conditioned' and metal fouling should be minimal from now on. Yes, we take a week to shoot in a barrel! But there is no quick way to remove heavy metal fouling. Anyone that says there is doesn't have a bore scope!

Using moly coated bullets seems to minimise the metal fouling during this shooting in process and makes it all a lot easier.
    Cheers
    Seamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Clean before initial firing ! and after first session then whenever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Sry don't want to hijack but what about cleaning it after it's been shot in, I mean regular cleaning.
    I clean the shotgun after every day but I read here ages ago that that's not necessary with a rifle ?
    (.22WMR)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I clean after (almost) every session. I shoot 20-100 rounds of .22LR per session.

It also depends on how dirty your ammo is. Some stuff leaves more crap in the barrel than others.

Take the bolt out and look down the barrel (it helps if theres a light at the other end of the barrel) and you should be able to see roughly how dirty it is.

.22lr doesn't require a strict cleaning regime as you are not firing jacketed ammo. .22 wmr will require a stricter regime as you are firing jacketed ammo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A trick the brother in law told me about cleaning barrels, he used to be a paratrooper/machinegunner : get a small strip of cotton a good bit longer than the barrel and of a width that makes it sit snug in it( think of a boresnake made of bed linnen ). Tie it to a piece of string and drench it in good quality gun oil for a bit so it's soaking wet. Pull the string through the barrel and leave the cloth sitting overnight. After pulling it out a couple of runs with a boresnake and bob's your uncle... . Him and his mates used to do this with the barrels of 5.56 minimi machineguns after firing hundreds of dirty blanks.

I tried the same on the barrel of my Anschutz hornet and I honestly couldn't believe the amount of gunk that came out... .

Bit of stupid question but do factories test fire guns before packing them with storage grease or not ?

• Advertisement

.22lr doesn't require a strict cleaning regime as you are not firing jacketed ammo. .22 wmr will require a stricter regime as you are firing jacketed ammo.

Yep. I wasn't sure if .22 WMR was jacketed or not. Strictly a soft lead guy myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Don't .22 lr stingers have copper jackets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bit of stupid question but do factories test fire guns before packing them with storage grease or not ?

They certainly do with target rifles. Not sure about sporting rifles. You get the test card in your manual with ten shots at 50m. I've seen them do it in teh Anschutz factory in Germany, they take the barrel and acion and clamp it in a vice and fire ten rounds very quickly down a 50m indoor range in their basement.

For biathlon rifles they refrigerate the barrel and action down to -20 celsius and then fire ten shots :eek:

Bond-007 wrote: »

No idea, never seen one.

Thanks rrpc, I thought it would be a sensible thing to do as a final quality control measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Do all firearms not have to be fired to be proofed?

It's more of a copper "wash", which is soft as lead it covers, not a hard copper jacket as in full metal jacket (FMJ)

Does it serve any purpose?

Does it serve any purpose?

I don't know TBH

Well, Wikipedia says:
    Many .22 LR cartridges use bullets lighter than the standard 40 grains (2.6 g), fired at even higher velocities. The CCI Stinger was the first "hyper velocity" .22 LR cartridge, and provides a significant increase in velocity over standard .22 LR rounds. The Stinger uses a longer case, a stronger charge and copper plating on a lighter bullet. The case is longer than that of the normal Long Rifle cartridge, yet Stingers will fit in most Long Rifle chambered firearms. The powder is designed to burn more slowly and thus make the most use of the length of a rifle barrel. In the Stinger the extra case length is compensated by a shorter bullet, which is only available as a plated hollow point. The thin copper layer on the bullet functions as a lubricant and reduces the friction between the high velocity bullet and the barrel, thus reducing barrel wear. It also has an oxidation-preventing effect on the lead bullet. Lead tends to oxidise if stored over long periods of time and as a result of this, the bullet's diameter increases to a level that might both prevent the insertion of the cartridge in the chamber and might cause the pressure in the barrel to rise to a dangerously high level. The increase in pressure may lead to the case rupturing and potential danger to the shooter. Standard and subsonic cartridges tend to use a type of wax for the same purpose.

• Advertisement

going to check a stinger round now from my stash

checked a stinger, and as I said it's covered with a copper "wash", not a copper jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

checked a stinger, and as I said it's covered with a copper "wash", not a copper jacket

But it is copper though ? Presumably from the wikipedia article the copper isn't there to keep the bullet intact but to prevent wear in the barrel. A very thin coat could be described as a 'wash'

rrpc wrote: »
    But it is copper though ? Presumably from the wikipedia article the copper isn't there to keep the bullet intact but to prevent wear in the barrel. A very thin coat could be described as a 'wash'

The colour resembles copper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

dresden8 wrote: »
    Hi

Awaiting new licence for cz452. not shot yet, brand spanking new.

What should I do?
    I just picked up my brand new cz452 this evening, I had to wait for 4 months for the licence:mad: Just wanted to say I found this thread very usefull. Thanks lads for the info and thanks dresden8 for posting it. macnab.

You'll not be disapointed. Congrats.

Congrats. I think 4 months waiting is a disgrace. Any reason for the delay?

Congrats. I think 4 months waiting is a disgrace. Any reason for the delay?

The local Sargent lost my application, but at least she admitted it. I dont think she had any problem with me having the rifle, or even having the shotgun as well. I think it was a genuine mistake, I will allow her the benefit of the doubt.

Fair enough so.

I am into week 8 of looking for a shotgun licence with no end in sight. :(

• Advertisement

Fair enough so.

18 weeks and counting for rifle licence, no end in sight, I wonder if this is a new strategy on the Gardai's behalf ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

18 weeks and counting for rifle licence, no end in sight, I wonder if this is a new strategy on the Gardai's behalf ?

No. It's an old and well-used one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Fair enough so.

jesus 8 weeks ??? ive just applied for shotgun licence and was hoping to have it for christmas ? which part of the country are you in ????

Laois/Offaly

I got the licence on Friday night, I had applied on October 1st. Apparently 8 weeks is nothing in LS/OY . I was told that 8 weeks is very fast for them.

Laois/Offaly

I got the licence on Friday night, I had applied on October 1st. Apparently 8 weeks is nothing in LS/OY . I was told that 8 weeks is very fast for them.

thats ridiculious .. i applied for mine on saturday evening ..ill let you know when it comes .:o

It only took 3 weeks for my shotgun licence last April (Meath) thats why I was so surprised it took 4 months for the .22 licence.

• Advertisement

the hunter wrote: »
    thats ridiculious .. i applied for mine on saturday evening ..ill let you know when it comes .:o

i just phoned the fo and my licence is there :D:D ,,, that was close i wasnt expecting to have it for christmas.... :)

Congrats and safe shooting.

Congrats and safe shooting.

thank you ..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A follow up to seamusgi4szw excellent post.
    The following procedure is an article by Jim Shults that ran in the April 1998 issue of Petersen's Rifle Shooter. The link is a slow to load.

http://centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm

Good shooting and Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Laois/Offaly

Took 2 weeks and 4 days to get my first license in Clare. Twas my first gun, and a .22 at that. Gun friendly country round here :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement