Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving into a parking space in First Gear?

Options
  • 11-11-2007 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I have gotten used to putting the car into first gear before moving into a parking space or at the side of the road as I find it easier to control the car. My mate says you should always stop in second.

Whats the official line on this for the test as you have to park at the side of the road for the turnabout and reverse around the corner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

okcomputer wrote: »
    I have gotten used to putting the car into first gear before moving into a parking space or at the side of the road as I find it easier to control the car. My mate says you should always stop in second.

Whats the official line on this for the test as you have to park at the side of the road for the turnabout and reverse around the corner?
    You should never go into first gear unless you are moving off after stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Second gear idiolling is supposed to be slow enough for you to control your car

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I dont know the official line, but presumably you're just making more trouble for yourself putting the car into first gear when stopping, your momentum would carry you forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

I dont know the official line, but presumably you're just making more trouble for yourself putting the car into first gear when stopping, your momentum would carry you forward.

Eh lads how can you use second to manouevre into a parking space? Dont know about your cars, but my punto would shudder to an explosive hault junting me into the car beside or infront of me. Should you not use the same principles for coming to a halt at a traffic light? You either cycle down through gears or just break til stopped in whatever gear you were driving in, eg forth. I would have thought that using reverse and first gear would be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Eh lads how can you use second to manouevre into a parking space? Dont know about your cars, but my punto would shudder to an explosive hault junting me into the car beside or infront of me. Should you not use the same principles for coming to a halt at a traffic light? You either cycle down through gears or just break til stopped in whatever gear you were driving in, eg forth. I would have thought that using reverse and first gear would be the way to go.

yup thanks givy, my peugeot 206 does the shudder thing while manouevering in second too, I find first gear perfect :)

waiting for someone else to back us up....

• Advertisement

givyjoe81 wrote: »

well it all depends on the situation, for example, a parallel parking maneuver would obviously use first gear and reverse, as you are stopping and starting. However pulling in to the side of the road should not use first, if the car was beginning to shudder that's the time to drop the clutch. Unless you have to stop and start again i can see very little point in going into first. Both my instructors have told me so. You can even be a lil' bit cheeky with the clutch in 2nd too if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

well it all depends on the situation, for example, a parallel parking maneuver would obviously use first gear and reverse, as you are stopping and starting. However pulling in to the side of the road should not use first, if the car was beginning to shudder that's the time to drop the clutch. Unless you have to stop and start again i can see very little point in going into first. Both my instructors have told me so. You can even be a lil' bit cheeky with the clutch in 2nd too if needs be.

ok now please explain why driving in 2nd with the clutch down is better than first gear?
    whats wrong with first gear if you are travelling at 1k/h?
    why the adversion to it?

okcomputer wrote: »
    ok now please explain why driving in 2nd with the clutch down is better than first gear?
    whats wrong with first gear if you are travelling at 1k/h?
    why the adversion to it?

You do know that you do have to put your foot on the cluch at some stage, when i said "drop the clutch" i was refering to when you are stopping i.e pulling into the side of the road, you will be failed for going into first before stopping. Fisrt should only be used for moving off, second gear is deemed to be slow enough for you to manouvre.
    You say "please explain why driving in 2nd with the clutch down..." your momentum will carry you forward, first gear is not needed, you'll be almost at a stop by the time the clutch is down.

Advertisement