Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cant connect wirelessly with Ubuntu

• 11-11-2007 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hey all, total newb at any sort of linux/unix so please bear with me.

Ive just set up a dual boot system on my home pc (xp/ubuntu) and I am trying to connect to the net with ubuntu but its either not picking up the signal (which works fine in XP) or the card (again works in xp, dont know about linux)

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Hey all, total newb at any sort of linux/unix so please bear with me.

Ive just set up a dual boot system on my home pc (xp/ubuntu) and I am trying to connect to the net with ubuntu but its either not picking up the signal (which works fine in XP) or the card (again works in xp, dont know about linux)

Any advice?

dude , just about to post the same thing..

ye.same thing..

is there a function where i can search for all wireless networks available like on xp?

i'm running ubuntu off a live cd atm, i will install if i can connect to the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the card will need drivers installed for it.

have you had a look here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ye have to give more info lads! What make of laptop,model number, name of network card etc..

compaq c300 series laptop.

wireless card is embedded in it.

its an annoyance really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Broadcom Wireless cards. Had an absolute nightmare trying to get my Broadcom Wireless card to work in Ubuntu.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Broadcom Wireless cards. Had an absolute nightmare trying to get my Broadcom Wireless card to work in Ubuntu.
    Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN:(

how did you do it fellow sligonian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There's a massive sticky with instructions over at the Ubuntu forums.. you need to follow them very closely.

Hold on.. i'll find it for you!

Here ya go.. and best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

oh good lord on a pogo stick >.<

/me runs to opensuse ;p

ill give it a crack but i have not a clue what im doin (on the plus side its better than Vista)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

i had a broadcom wliG54S pcmcia wlan card back on 2005, for laptop and in the end I had to use Linuxant drivers which cost a few euros altho I suspect theres a better solution for free by now.
    However if ur stuck pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I had similar probs with my Atheros wifi & after alot of googlin had to disable the restricted driver (it obviously was not working) & download the windows .inf driver. Install ndiswapper & ndisgtk (GUI for ndiswapper) from synaptics & install the windows driver. Worked perfect but will not work with WPA, only WEP.

Another option for you is to use the latest madwifi driver (not the one in synaptics).

Good luck,
    Pog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

These wireless cards are a real problem at the moment - like the old winmodem problems we had going back. :)

Just for what it's worth I got wireless working under Mandriva 2006.1 (kernel 2.6.14) - using ndiswrapper with my windows driver (rt73). It was a noname usb wireless key. I tried the same with a pc with wireless card installed (this time rt25) but didn't work with xubuntu.

Either way if you do get it going - turn off ipv6 and stick with v4 - it eliminate terrible pauses with my BB (Ntl and Eircom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

Missioned beeeg time to get my Dell laptops wireless card working - nightmare, then Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) came out and after I reinstalled, the process was super easy with restricted driver manager.
    Pre 7.10 - http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/01/fixing-wifi-on-dell-1501.html
    7.10 - http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/10/wireless-in-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

(This is for dell laptops only so the drivers might be different but the idea is the same).

Advertisement