Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What synth to buy?

• 11-11-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

I want to start making dance music on my pc but not sure what synth to buy or equipment..i used to mess around years ago when i had an Amiga 1200 with a program called Octamed,it was good crack but i never really got serious into it.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy ie.a synth or dance station?And what software to use to get started for beginners?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Do you want a hardware synth or software?
    If you only want to use software alot of people on here swear by Reason which is synths etc. and sequencing.
    Alternatively you could buy a software sequencer package such as Cakewalk or Cubase which come with some synths, you can also buy some really powerful software synths of the likes of Cubase and Cakewalk.
    It really boils down to what way you want to go and how much you want to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

OctaMED is a tracker type sequencer, there was a version called MED Soundstudio released for Windows and plenty of other freeware trackers available

http://www.medsoundstudio.com/

I think that if you're just getting started, a good thing to do would be to buy a cheapo MIDI controller keyboard - maybe 2 octaves with plenty of knobs and sliders.

These do not make any noise as standalone units, they are for programming and playing Softsynths (VSTi's). You can download literally hundreds of different freeware VSTi's and effects (VST's) from the likes of www.kvraudio.com.

This will invariably come with a copy of Ableton Live Lite - a stripped version of Ableton Live - which is a very intuitive sequencer and arranger geared towards both production and on-the-fly performance. Many of the biggest names in the business (especially DJs) would use this as their primary DAW

In terms of keyboards, omething like this would be perfect;

http://www.thomann.de/ie/m_audio_oxygen_8_v2.htm

or for the little bit extra, this has some commercial software bundled - and probably has a nicer keybed response

http://www.thomann.de/ie/emu_xboard_25.htm

Both of them come bundled with Ableton Live Lite so its a matter of personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

have the oxygen 8 myself, the response isint the best to be honest..still a nice keyboard tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭slick

In terms of keyboards, omething like this would be perfect; (EMU XBOARD 25)

Thanks for all that lads...nice bit of info there...I think a keyboard for the pc to start would be ideal...Nice size to start

The EMU XBOARD 25 looks like an easy keyboard to start off with and cheap enough too!Where is this website..are they based in Germany?

Cool tunes on your myspace page etec !

• Advertisement

slick wrote: »
    In terms of keyboards, omething like this would be perfect; (EMU XBOARD 25)

Thanks for all that lads...nice bit of info there...I think a keyboard for the pc to start would be ideal...Nice size to start

The EMU XBOARD 25 looks like an easy keyboard to start off with and cheap enough too!Where is this website..are they based in Germany?

Yeah, thomann are based in germany - about as reputable as they get. Most of the serious musicians on boards have bought off them countless times. Flat 15 euro shipping for your order, no matter how big, and free shipping over 200 euro. Have actually bought 3 midi controllers off them so far - including the old version of the ******8 (and yeah, the keybed is just a tad clunky - but it runs on batteries :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jimi_t wrote: »
    version of the ******8 ).

oh my god, it seems oxygen is a bad word.

Yea read a few reviews on the EMU XBOARD 25 and went on their web site...sounded good so i ordered one..Thomann seems a reputable site anyhow but how long is delivery time usually take?

Thomann seems a reputable site anyhow but how long is delivery time usually take?

I've been getting stuff from them for years. Most of the time it takes between 4 and 7 days, although once it took 4 weeks. That was a long time ago though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Yep, thomann are brilliant to deal with. I made my first purchase a few months ago and had to contact them when it broke, they arranged free collection with UPS and had a new one shipped out to me the day after they received it.
    Nice to see a great service online and they are good on the phones also.

• Advertisement

They seem professional alright..i got a text this morning..thinking who the fcuk is that this hour in the morning(8.30am) it was them..good service..reliable Germans eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

jtsuited wrote: »
    oh my god, it seems oxygen is a bad word.

No, it's a particular music festive that is spelt in a CRAZY, HIP, ZANY way (wrong letter) that's a bad word.

yeah sorry. It's just that it's called the oxygen8 and i thought it asterisked it out.

The one thing the germans are is efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

Cool tunes on your myspace page etec !

cheers man glad you like them

Entec / TheParallel

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

I've recently bought a MicroKorg, it's my first HW Synth, it's pretty basic but if you wikipedia it you will see that alot of bands (not just electronica) use it, even the Killers!

Anyway, I intend to use it alongside my laptop with Reason and a MIDI Keyboard, but am having problems with procrastination so I'm not very productive at the moment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

do you want a synth or a midi controller?

coz everyone seems to be recommending midi controllers here and the lad DID ask for a synth

re the micro korg, its a decent enough entry level box alrite, cant hack the teensy little keys tho

Helix wrote: »
    do you want a synth or a midi controller?

coz everyone seems to be recommending midi controllers here and the lad DID ask for a synth

The title asks for a synth but everything in his post seems to point towards a software solution. Tbh, if you're not performing and are just starting off then a software solution makes the most sense.
    re the micro korg, its a decent enough entry level box alrite, cant hack the teensy little keys tho

As a synth, it has a decent (but somewhat digital for a VA) sound to it, but without the interface of its expanded model - the MS2000 - there are a lot better offerings in the same pricerange; the Novation Xiosynth or X-Station for example.

I got the EMU XBOARD 25 that you recommended jimi_t.I done a test and it said it was working good,i can't seem to get any sound through the xboard control software..
    I didn't get a midi wire just a usb wire,it seems to be com:communicating with the pc alright but do i need the midi wire?Or maybe the firmware on keyboard is outdated?Any sugestions? :confused:

I got the EMU XBOARD 25 that you recommended jimi_t.I done a test and it said it was working good,i can't seem to get any sound through the xboard control software..
    I didn't get a midi wire just a usb wire,it seems to be com:communicating with the pc alright but do i need the midi wire?Or maybe the firmware on keyboard is outdated?Any sugestions? :confused:

No, the USB acts as a MIDI to USB adapter so you're fine there.

You said you're using the "control software" - could you elaborate?

It came with abelton live lite 4 - best thing to do would be to hit http://www.kvraudio.com/ and download a few VSTi's that you like the look of - then use ableton as your VST host, arm the track and bobs your uncle :D

Cheers i'll try that

• Advertisement
Advertisement