Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp, mould, and much more!

Options
  • 12-11-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

I'm living in Student Accommodation and about a week and a half ago the smoke alarm started playing up. When I went to have a look at it I noticed that there was water dripping from it and from the ceiling around it. It's in a tiny hall with no ventilation and the hot press is in the hall too. When we moved in we noticed signs that there had been mould in the hall (top of walls) at some stage, but in the last couple of weeks it has gotten worse, despite the fact that we left the hall door open and the living room windows open almost constantly. There is a problem with the boiler (?) in the hotpress overheating and the manager has said he will call a plumber to have a look at it. He said this overheating is the possible cause of the mould, although he has yet to have a look at the problem. This weekend black mould has appeared on the ceiling in the kitchen, close to the hall door. We keep the windows open and always use the extractor fan when cooking so I don't know what has caused it.

What I want to know is how I can try to contain the mould until the manager does something about it. It's getting visibly worse everyday and to be honest I'm worried. Should I continue to keep the windows open? Should I keep the door of the hall open even though it seems to have made little difference? And would the fact that only one of the heaters, the furthest one away from the hall and mould, works. (Half works...the top half is broken.)

Help would be much appreciated as I have no idea what to do!

(I will be calling up to the manager again first thing in the morning but any short term solutions would be good.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I can't see this as being your fault, more like poor building managment. Black mould is a fungus that thrives in warm dark damp areas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've heard of this mould causing difficulties in breathing.
    Keep the place ventalated in the mean time is your best bet. But water dripping from the ceiling makes me think there's a leak...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ya I don't think it's our fault at all. The people beside us had to move to a different apartment because the damp was so bad. When we moved in their was a musty smell so we've had the windows open a lot, even though it's not very safe because they are large windows and open onto a public path. Anyway, I'm going to see the manager not. The smoke alarm is making weird noises again.

Cheers

Advertisement