Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth Question

Options
  • 12-11-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Had a few Macbeth questions for homework but this one has me in a pickle on how to answer it.

"Macbeth is a play that is full of action and excitement for the audience."
    Do you agree with the above view of the play? Support your answer by reference to the play.

Anyone care to advise me on the best way to answer this (I'm doing honours and looking for 1 A4 page to 1 and a half.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

*cough* everyone dies *cough*

deception, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

But writing a page and half on people dieing isn't going to be interesting.

Looking for one or two more options to write on regrading the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Had a few Macbeth questions for homework but this one has me in a pickle on how to answer it.

"Macbeth is a play that is full of action and excitement for the audience."
    Do you agree with the above view of the play? Support your answer by reference to the play.

Anyone care to advise me on the best way to answer this (I'm doing honours and looking for 1 A4 page to 1 and a half.

I would suggest that you don't try and get boards.ie to to your homework for you.

Oh and I would suggest that you look at the stage directions and enterances and exits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

do it yourself, you're studying the play, and if you cant do the question you shouldn't be asking us.
    is this due for tomorrow? :D

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    is this due for tomorrow? :D

Nope, I ain't on of these people who do things at the last minute. Not due till Wednesday.;)

I ain't looking for my homework to been done, just a few pointers on how to write the best answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

sorry man, i studied hamlet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Key words: action, excitement.

For action: Battle! Play opens during battle, descriptions of bloodied bodies, swords, death etc. throughout the play. Then there's Macbeth and his wife's plans later on, killing Duncan etc. I mean the play is almost all action tbh you shouldn't find it difficult to talk about this.
    For excitement: The plot is very unpredictable at times for example Macbeths actions after seeing the witches, his wife's influences etc which makes it quite exciting. You could talk about Macbeth and his delusions towards the mid-part of the play and how unpredictable it is. And I really don't need to begin about the end-part. :)

An extremely easy question when you view it as an LC question - but I'm going to assume you've recently finished it or have only just started doing the questions. IMO though, of all the questions on PII for LC english, the Drama question is the one in which a plan is of the utmost importance (due to the fact that you really can't plonk things in when you're talking about a structured play). Make sure you know what your writing is leading into at all times.

Ahh I loved Macbeth. Know it inside out. But I dont want to help you.

Im rather bitter about having to do Othello this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tension is usually a good start, and all of Shakespeare's plays have it. He's quite formulaic really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I thought Macbeth wasn't on the course this year? And one a4 page? At least 2 and a half, if it's the essay anyway and not something your teacher set. Sounds like an exam paper question to me.

I'd be no help, I always did the theme questions for Macbeth, power, evil etc.

• Advertisement

Was just a set of questions from the teacher. Its on for 2009 course, only 5th year"er".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

intro - answer your question and list the topics of the paragraphs you will be including in your essay (take 4).

paragraphs 1-4 - look at such topics as
    • Macbeth is a powerful central figure
    • Dramatic intensity of play resembles life today for a modern audience
    • Plot is complex, mirroring life
    • The play is short – King James preferred this; the play can flow through scenes and pick up speed at the end to heighten suspense at the ending
    • Mystery; the theme of deception

outro - answer question again. sum up your four paragraph topics in a few words.

Advertisement