Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The word "scum" in the soccer forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, if it was for the use of the word scum, then im surprised that gimmick wasnt banned for calling someone scum in the post below yours.

but it may not have been what you were banned for. best to let the mods of the forum come back and explain the reason for the banning.
    im surprised you werent pm'd about it and told why you were banned.

but then again i rarely visit the soccer forum anymore becuase of the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

well, if it was for the use of the word scum, then im surprised that gimmick wasnt banned for calling someone scum in the post below yours.

but it may not have been what you were banned for. best to let the mods of the forum come back and explain the reason for the banning.
    im surprised you werent pm'd about it and told why you were banned.

but then again i rarely visit the soccer forum anymore becuase of the mods.

I have to agree with Whitewashman on this as much as it pains me , Is there any communication between the mods on this forum really , there seems to be too many childish comments between the mods with topics EL vs EPL its getting very boring and tedious now at this stage.The soccer forum lately seems to have one rule for the goose and another for the gander.Thats my Two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Soccer forum is a joke alright. Needs a complete reboot if you ask me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Soccer forum is a joke alright. Needs a complete reboot if you ask me.

Ban everyone and start again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just checked back through my PM's, I did get one from T4TF, saying

You are banned for a week for your comments in the Fans thread.

Please PM me when it is up if I forget to readmit you.

I didn't reply until a week later, just to ask to be readmitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well if the post was edited rather than soft-deleted then it's gone. This is why these days the Admins have asked that mods delete instead of editing.

As a tip for mods who do edit threads, it's often an idea to report the post first so you still have a copy of exactly what was posted. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I reckon its time for a Mod clear out myself. Not being hostile, rather its that most of them have been in situ for so long I imagine they've got a bit complacent/confused and even bored with the role. A shake up would be good, ditch one per month over the next 5 months.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was also on the receiving end of a ban for the use of said word and now I see people using it like it's going out of fashion! The mods would wanna get their finger out and either enforce the rule or get rid of it. Or as Mike65 said, just get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah! I did'nt say get rid, just "a changing of the guard" :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah! I did'nt say get rid, just "a changing of the guard" :)

Mike.

Yeah apologies. Just 'relieve them from their post'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Theres an awful lot of mickey waving going on in some threads too. (My club won such and such etc). Theres some woefully petty childish arguments in some of the threads too, a few to many people are immune to having a reasoned debate on certain issues, I don't like singling threads or indeed people out but the slagging match in KdjacLs "need a new team thread" between himself and T4TF was bizarre to say the least. Two mods of the same forum going hammer and tongs at each other.

Edit: Thread Link> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055180747

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

r3nu4l wrote: »
    As a tip for mods who do edit threads, it's often an idea to report the post first so you still have a copy of exactly what was posted. ;)
    Top tip!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

cson wrote:
    Theres an awful lot of mickey waving going on in some threads too. (My club won such and such etc). Theres some woefully petty childish arguments in some of the threads too, a few to many people are immune to having a reasoned debate on certain issues, I don't like singling threads or indeed people out but the slagging match in KdjacLs "need a new team thread" between himself and T4TF was bizarre to say the least. Two mods of the same forum going hammer and tongs at each other.

Edit: Thread Link> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055180747

Just because two people mod the same forum, doesn't mean they have to have the same opinion on everything. Especially in a forum like soccer where there's such diversity. If I don't like mushrooms and DesF thinks they're the best food ever, it has no impact on our ability to mod the Food and Drink forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Faith wrote: »
    Just because two people mod the same forum, doesn't mean they have to have the same opinion on everything. Especially in a forum like soccer where there's such diversity. If I don't like mushrooms and DesF thinks they're the best food ever, it has no impact on our ability to mod the Food and Drink forum.
    Thats fine but having a bitching session shouldn't happen imo.

Mods keep the peace, not aggravate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

kaimera wrote: »
    Thats fine but having a bitching session shouldn't happen imo.

Mods keep the peace, not aggravate it.

Why not? I do enjoy debating with T2tf he goes to games and has good valid opinions on football.

As far as i know mods should participate in the forum they mod, hence being asked to mod it in the 1st place.

Have the rules changed ?

Joesoap most people asked for the rules to be relaxed a little as too many where banned for little things, i dont ban when scum is used as a general term for hooligans.

So ehhh which is it 0 tolerance or tolerance.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Faith wrote: »
    If I don't like mushrooms and DesF thinks they're the best food ever, it has no impact on our ability to mod the Food and Drink forum.

:eek:

If I'd have known you were such mushroom hater I never would have accepted the role.

You Scum.*

:)

*I actually do not think Faith is scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Being banned for calling a guy who throws a firework into a gang of people scum is over the top.

Even with the problems Soccer has had, that's laughably bureaucratic. Stand back and think about it for a second. Restricting someone's access over that is, well, ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The modding of the soccer forum has been haphazard and random for ages. I'm banned for calling a TV presenter a 'tosser' right now, but honestly even if I wasn't I don't think I'd bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ibid wrote: »
    Being banned for calling a guy who throws a firework into a gang of people scum is over the top.

+1 tbh

cson wrote: »

Edit: Thread Link> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055180747

At what point do we break the charter ?

We are both fans and both adhered to the charter.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Why not? I do enjoy debating with T2tf he goes to games and has good valid opinions on football.

no offense, but it was bitching, not debating :)
    not that i have any problem with that. people can bitch all they want imho.
    As far as i know mods should participate in the forum they mod, hence being asked to mod it in the 1st place.

agree 100%.

Joesoap most people asked for the rules to be relaxed a little as too many where banned for little things, i dont ban when scum is used as a general term for hooligans.

So ehhh which is it 0 tolerance or tolerance.

kdjac

i dont think the issue has anything to do with tolerance or bans.

most of the posts here are concerned with the inconsistency of moderating decisions.

mrjoesoap wrote:
    Just checked back through my PM's, I did get one from T4TF, saying

You are banned for a week for your comments in the Fans thread.

Please PM me when it is up if I forget to readmit you.

I didn't reply until a week later, just to ask to be readmitted.

ive only just realised that you werent banned this week. i thought you had been banned last year, and had just been banned again.
    im confused.

are you currently banned?
    and why would you bring this up after a year?

the actual answer is 'so what?'
    i wouldnt worry too much about it when you havent done anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

kdjac

Fair enough, I've just never seen mods of the same forum have it out like that before.

ive only just realised that you werent banned this week. i thought you had been banned last year, and had just been banned again.
    im confused.

are you currently banned?
    and why would you bring this up after a year?

The only reason I brought it up was because I noticed the word was used twice in the one thread yesterday. And I'd seen it used plenty recently in other threads, just wanted an explanation and some clarification as to the current situation. It just seems as if the goalposts have shifted a bit, if you'll excuse the pun.

Oh, that and I'm still bitter. :)

And I'm not currently banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Question, would you rather see someone like me or the existing mods moderate the soccer forum?

By me I mean someone with absolutely no interest in the sport who would enforce the charter rules completely blindly? I'm not looks for the job btw but lets face it lads you can't have your cake and eat it.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The only reason I brought it up was because I noticed the word was used twice in the one thread yesterday. And I'd seen it used plenty recently in other threads, just wanted an explanation and some clarification as to the current situation. It just seems as if the goalposts have shifted a bit, if you'll excuse the pun.

Oh, that and I'm still bitter. :)

And I'm not currently banned.

Did you report those posts?

I stated in the original post in this thread that I didn't report any of these posts as I didn't find them offensive.

You cant have it both ways, everyone in soccer asked for more tolerance which was given in certain instances where just being a fan/person who watches football on tv(lol) was seriously pissed off at something in a game and posted something which broke the charter in a moment of passion.

Its either one or the other the mods tried to accomdate "common sense" into the forum and are now getting slated for it.

Tbh soccer is a lose lose forum, no matter what you do as a mod your wrong.

Notice how most of the longterm mods on boards.ie wouldnt touch with a bargepole but snipe at every oppurtunity (mike65, WWM etc: )

Pretty much shows the **** you have to deal with that they wouldnt touch it but can voice opinons on how it should be done. I will resign as mod if either of those 2 take up the role.

kdjac

kdjac: What ever about wwm no one pays attention to Mike.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I stated in the original post in this thread that I didn't report any of these posts as I didn't find them offensive.

Then you really can't complain unless you know for a fact that a mod and in particular the mod that banned you, read those comments. If I modded that forum I wouldn't read any of the prattle posted on it, and only respond to reported posts. You also didn't answer the question

Boston wrote: »

, and only respond to reported posts. You also didn't answer the question

Reported posts are biased in the soccer forum one fan will report another teams fan easily but wouldnt report his own teams fan, so they can only be taken as a reference, sucks but thats the way it is.

And then you add in mods with the ability to view the reported post forum will report people of another team just to get them banned and even post on the reported post to ensure it.

Its a pain in the hole and far more **** than the users know.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Then you really can't complain unless you know for a fact that a mod and in particular the mod that banned you, read those comments.

I'm not complaining, I'm asking for clarification. If I wanted to complain I would have done it a year ago.
    If I modded that forum I wouldn't read any of the prattle posted on it, and only respond to reported posts. You also didn't answer the question

What question did I not answer?

Advertisement