Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #14 - Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

• 12-11-2007 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

You know, I bet everyone was expecting the video to be Walk, but honestly, Vulgar... is a great album with a lot of great songs to choose from, and I couldn't help but post Mouth For War, what a savage opening track! Better song than Walk too, I think.

Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

YAY. About time too.
    Absolutely amazing album, its hard to believe that its 15 years old!

Walk will always be the signature track, even my Ma likes it, and it actually charted at No 35 in the UK charts. I remember going to Nijinskys years ago and the floor would fill the minute Walk would come on.

This Love and Hollow are hair raising tunes also.

F***** Hostile is hard to listen to after hearing the F***** Hoffstyle version!!!

Karl is bang on tho Mouth for War is a deadly opening track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Mad into this when I was about 15 but now I cant listen to it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

My... favourite... album... EVER!

Obviously the first song I had heard was Walk, was just hooked on Pantera when I heard it, one of the catchiest riffs in metal by a long way. When I got the album I was completely blown away.

I personally had never heard anything like it before, before it all I had heard were thrash bands like Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth, rock bands like AC/DC and G'n'R. Not even Cowboys From Hell had the powerful sound that this album had. The riffs on top of Dimebag's tone, the powerful vocals from Anselmo, along with Vinnie and Rex holding it all together splendedly made the album an adrenaline rush for me and I am sure many others felt the same...

The first six tracks on the album are untouchable in metal terms in my opinion. Classic stuff! Tracks seven to ten are very good, they aren't as good as the first six but they are still quality tracks and track eleven, Hollow is a great outro to the album and shows the other side to Pantera, that they are not all about screaming and shouting, heavy riffs and aggression.

All in all a must have album for any metal fan. If you don't have this album, you are missing out big time...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

First time I heard it sent shiver down my spine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Yeah Mouth for War is a classic alright can't argue with that, infact theres not much room for any arguement on the album at all. What a way to finish it too, Hollow rocks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

all of pantera's albums that came before and after this always left you feeling like there was something missing but you couldn't put your finger on what exactly that was. Vulgar is by far and away their finest hour, it improves on Cowboys greatly imo (though cowboys is a fine if flawed album).

great album and deserving of its place in album of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yup, definitely a classic alright. i'd say i'm with loads of pantera fans in saying walk was the first track i heard from this. probably their best album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Really good album.My favourite Pantera one too. Havent listened to it in a while but this thread has prompted me too :D I prefer Mouth for War to Walk,which at first I didnt really like. Great great album

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bout time this is here :p Some great songs on it, favourite Pantera album hands down

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

my fave song is "no good(attack the radical)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Don't know what to say really, an absolutely amazing, iconic album that pretty much redefined my taste in music.

Mouth of War probably my favourite, but always had a soft spot for Hollow as well, it was always one of those under rated gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wasn't watching the voting, but good call on this album. Not much to say about it that someone hasn't said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

YAY!! What a savage f**king album. I remember seeing these guys in the SFX way back in 92/93. It was the only time I got to see em, but it was one of the best gigs I've ever been at.

The security guards/bouncers let me get out of my wheelchair and sit behind the speaker on the side of the stage too!!!! I was only about 10 feet away from dear old Dimebag!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

YAY!! What a savage f**king album. I remember seeing these guys in the SFX way back in 92/93. It was the only time I got to see em, but it was one of the best gigs I've ever been at.

The security guards/bouncers let me get out of my wheelchair and sit behind the speaker on the side of the stage too!!!! I was only about 10 feet away from dear old Dimebag!!!!

Woah, blast from the past I was at that gig too. This album is great without a doubt a true classic, but cowboys from hell does it for me, art of shredding :D. This gets my album of the week vote though.

Advertisement