Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating timer

Options
  • 12-11-2007 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if I would be better off with a new digital timer or thermostat.

At the moment all I have is a timer switch for the oil fired heating. The problem is that I can only set it to come on for a minimum of 30 minute increments. Sometimes this can be too much and I end up coming downstairs about 3am to turn it off. It all depends on the night in question of course.

Would I be better off getting a new digital timer (with remote control) that I can turn on/off from the comfort of bed or would it be better to fit a thermostat in the house.

Also, what way would the thermostat work? Would the heating have to be turned on at all times and kick in/out when it reached a certain temp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just rewired my system and fitted a new timer, so I'm well placed to comment on this one!
    The thermostat usually controls an electro-mechanical valve which sits on the return feed from the radiators.
    http://www.ephcontrols.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_7

What would would usually do is have the timer setup for various on/off periods during the day, powering the boiler and valve/stat and allowing the stat control the flow to the radiators.
    So, that means that you would retain your old clock, and just add in the valve, and stat.
    What you may need to check is whether your boiler can handle the flow being cut via a valve, for example, will it throttle back and quench the flame when flow stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Also, what way would the thermostat work? Would the heating have to be turned on at all times and kick in/out when it reached a certain temp?

That's exactly how it would work and that is what I installed in my house about 6yrs ago.

I used one of these

go to www.radionics.ie
    and stock number 225-6126

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dg_

the proper way to wire it is to use the Auxiliary contact on the motorized vavle to control the boiler so when the stat sends power to the MV the auxiliary contant sends power to the boiler, it also saves oil cause ur not waiting for the boiler to cut out on its own stat.

Advertisement