Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking parked vehicles

Options
  • 12-11-2007 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

My biggest fear going into the test this week is picking up faults for reaction to hazards i.e. if there is a vehicle parked on my side of the road deciding to overtake or not if there is an oncoming vehicle. Also should you always signal when overtaking parked vehicles even if they are only slightly on the road?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Safety dictates that you mustn't cross the dividing line if there is oncoming traffic. They have right of way on their side of the road.

If you cannot pass an obstruction on your side of the road without crossing the central white line ( or where it would be if none exists) you must wait until oncoming traffic has passed. The purpose of the signal is to indicate to other drivers that you are about to change direction. You should signal before going around an obstacle such as a parked car if it causes you to change direction. If you signal on a straight road it is also a warning to other drivers that you are manouvering around an obstruction which will probably also effect them.

Technically you don't overtake parked cars, you pass them, you only overtake other moving traffic which is travelling at a lower speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks Hagar.
    Therefore if you have to cross the white line to pass a parked vehicle then you should indicate...is this correct?

Correct, just as you would crossing from one lane to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hm. Thats funny, in my pretest last week, the instructor said I didnt have to indicate. Ho hum.

Mine is only an opinion, I'm not a trained professional instructor, chances are he isn't either, that said I have heard of people being failed for not using indicators, I have never heard of anyone being failed for using them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I suppose it's no harm to. The instructor said theres no need to all the time, as it could confuse other motorists into thinking you are turning. Ah well. I used my indicator with great zeal today. So much so that the bulb went halfway through the test. Luckily it wasn't before it :)

Advertisement