Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice about 2nd hand Accord

Options
  • 12-11-2007 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi all, i bought a second hand Honda Accord at the weekend. It looks ok but has feck all service history ( i know, very risky and prob a foolish choice but there you go). It felt ok to drive but because the drivers side cv joint needs to be replaced it was hard to tell if it had suspension issues too, plus, i know very little about cars!
    So basically i need some advice about the car as to what needs fixing and what doesnt. Anyone know a good trustworthy mechanic who'd do a nixer..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

what year is the accord; mileage, petrol/diesel etc?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gavstar69

petrol ls 1.8 1998 about 86k

There is very little that gives trouble with these - make sure the timing belt has been changed at this point though
    The front top suspension arms can wear along with front and rear drop-links and anti-roll bar bushings, but you will know these need replacing when you hear a knocking coming from the suspect component at low speeds.
    Apart from these, there is very little trouble these cars can give, even ones that have been abused (abuse is different to neglect!)
    Good luck with your new purchase!

ok thanks land9, sounds like you know yr stuff, cheers. It certainly looks great but i just had worries about the suspension/shocks etc as it felt a bit bumpy to drive at slow speeds. Ill take it to kwikfit and see wt they say. Thanks.

sh!te, i forgot to ask- how do i know if timing belt needs to be replaced?!

• Advertisement

the accords sit very low, and the drivers seat is very low in the cabin as well - there's probably nothing wrong, it'll take you some time to adjust to it (but get it checked out all the same)
    If you're in doubt about the timing belt, get it changed, preferably, at a honda dealership - you need the timing belt and countershaft belt changed, most likely nothing else, and the honda dealership will best be able to deal with it (and they should be able to give you a quote for total cost)

ok cool, many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I sold my 2.0 Accord about 15 months ago. I wouldn't have sold it only for an increase in my daily commute. Great car. Couldn't fault it, mine had about 115k on it when I sold it for €1750 (Quick sale) to a board member too !!

Incidently, if you purchase the car and you need any parts for it my brother in law has a 97 1.8 which he has just parked up. He's lost the keys to the car and has never been arsed to get a new set cause he drives a van for work.

thanks tinofapples, nice one. If i'm ever in Galway ill pm you. :)

Advertisement