Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After the upgrade, problems overclocking

Options
  • 12-11-2007 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

last week i upgraded my motherboard and CPU, (and downgraded my PSU :-( ) but now i'm having serious problems overclocking, i have only tried to OC the chip a couple of times over the weekend (will take a serious look at it today) but each time i tried to OC the chip the machine froze up! these were not crazy OC, if i even moved the FSB up from 200 to 201 the machine would freeze up. (Everyting is at default in the bios)

Anyone know what could be causing the machine to freeze up with such a tiny increase?

CPU E4500
    Motherboard is MSI P35 NEO-F, P35, Socket-775, DDR2, 1333FSB
    RAM: Corsair TWIN2X 5400PRO DDR2, 2048MB CL4
    the PSU is some 500w piece of Sh*t i had to get in PC world last Friday :-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have you tried anything higher then 1mhz at a time, try 10 or 15mhz and see if it posts.

also try disabling some features in bios temporarily (like spread spectrum) to try and locate the problem, set your memory timings manually etc.

And of course make sure your bios is updated to the latest version. Msi boards are pretty bad for overclocking but usually fairly friendly within the limits they can manage...(about 500-600mhz unless they've changed lately)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

That Msi board is fairly good, which is a suprise! I presume it runs fine at stock? If so try a bios update (if there is one) then change strap to 266 (1066) and set the clock to 250 fsb keeping ram speeds low..no need to change any voltages yet. And like Havok said diable PCI and cpu spread spectrum aswell as C1E, Eist and any thermal management features.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

excellent advice gentlemen, stable @ 2.86 gona push for 3GHz now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

A Slight Problem :-(

OC'ed the chip to 3GHz and seems perfectly stable. Ran burnin for 30min and no errors in the cpu or ram,
    But once i tried to play a game, Age of Empires 3 the Asian dynasty , the pc restarted after about 5 min, so this leads me to think that the crapy PSU i got in pc world last Friday, (think it was a jantech?? 500w) is not up to the job? Or could there be another reason? the cpu temp was not very high, did not pass 50c on the burnin test. Any Ideas?

Advertisement