Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT won't get off the bloody phone line

Options
  • 12-11-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the deal. Myself and my flat mate have moved out of our apartment. The phone line was with Eircom, and I signed up for broadband with BT Ireland on the line.

Since we have both left the apartment I've canceled the Broadband and my house mate is trying to cancel her phone line. BT told me that my broadband has been canceled 2 weeks ago.

The problem is that Eircom are not letting my housemate cancel the phone line because they say BT still have a product on it.

I canceled the broadband nearly 2 weeks ago, I've rung BT a few times to have rather rude, ignorant, phone staff tell me that broadband is canceled already so stop ringing them. And yet Eircom say that BT have to contact their whole sale department and tell them they don't have any products on the line. Until they do that Eircom are refusing to cancel the phone line, which means my house mate has to pay for a phone rental she is not using.

Basically BT are telling us to PFO and stop bothering them and Eircom are telling us it is nothing to do with them, contact BT. It is a joke

Any one have any ideas or have gone through this problem before?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its not Eircom's job to stop you from canceling your phoneline because BT Broadband is on the line, try calling up and saying your leaving the country and your cancel the direct debit or payment method and you want the phone line canceled too.

Advise that if they refuse to cancel your telephone line (PSTN line) you will seek legal advise for payments being taken without permission,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its not Eircom's job to stop you from canceling your phoneline because BT Broadband is on the line, ,

+1

They are two different contracts. Your Eircom contract should not effect your BT and vice versa. Tell eircom that you are not asking them to cancel, you are TELLING them. If they still say that BT have a service on the line, that is between them and BT, nothing to do with you.

If they refuse to cancel the service, ring Comreg. I've been on the phone to them this morning about BT and they are very nice and helpful.

Edit: This is prob more of a consumer issue tbh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We'll chance this in consumer issues as its less about service and more about contracts...moving to consumer issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A couple of years ago I canceled an eircom line which still had BT broadband active on it and there was no problem. I had to pay out my 28 days' notice to BT and the broadband stayed active from their point of view for this entire time, even though eircom stopped the phone service within 24 hours of ringing them up. No mention was made of the broadband causing any problems.

First thing to do is make sure no more payments go through to eircom so tell your flatmate to stop any direct debit in place. Same applies to you with BT, cancel the direct debit in writing to the bank. BT have a policy tendency to keep taking money from peoples accounts long after you're no longer a customer with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Nothing to do with BT. The responsibility lies purely with Eircom. It is them who your house mate has the contract with and it is them taking your house mate's money.

Trust me, Eircom do this the whole time. If it wasn't for the fact that we tolerate effective monopolies in this country, what they are doing would be criminal. You can always get on to ComReg, but they have as much power as a little schoolgirl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

If you're invoiced by BT for both line rental and broadband then you have no relationship with Eircom and the onus would be on BT to cancel the line rental with Eircom (assuming that the person whose name is on the account has already requested this to be done with BT). In such circumstance you should stop making payments to BT for line rental and they wouldn't be in a position to pursue you balances arising from their inability to cancel line rental with BT.

On the other hand if you're invoiced separately by Eircom for line rental then whoever has their name on the Eircom account would need to contact Eircom to cancel the line rental if not already done. If it has already been done then you're not liable for the balance arising from their negligence and should stop making payments to them.

Advertisement