Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas vs Electric oven

Options
  • 12-11-2007 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

My 10-year-old Stoves gas oven has given up the ghost and, looking around for a replacement, it seems the gas option is horribly overpriced and rare in the shops. Even the bottom of the range seems to be €600+ while electric can be had for half that.

So the questions are: am I missing something here - why is the gas appliance so expensive? Anyone know of a retailer with cheaper gas ovens?

If I go for the electric option (which wouldn't be a real problem - the electrics are already there for it), is it a simple job for a sparks to block off the gas connection properly?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why do you specifically want a Gas Oven? In my experience Electric Ovens are just as good if not better than Gas ones.

As for installing an Electric Oven it's a piece of cake. I had to do it when I bought my house last year. And blanking off the gas supply is easy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yallingup

It's not that I really want gas (though I prefer it to electric on the hob), it's just I'm thinking of what to do with the redundant gas connection. How efficiently does it need to be sealed off to prevent leaks, etc? Would prefer a simple swapover, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yallingup wrote: »
    I'm thinking of what to do with the redundant gas connection. How efficiently does it need to be sealed off to prevent leaks, etc?
    There should be a ballvalve on the gas supply. All you need to do is turn off the valve and then plug it with a ½" (or whatever size the valve connection is) Plug like the one in the attached picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why do you specifically want a Gas Oven? In my experience Electric Ovens are just as good if not better than Gas ones.

We've had both and the gas oven is way faster to heat up, also the different heat zones are very handy. We got our oven and hob in Gas Wise. A lot of places stock gas hobs but not ovens, or only a token one or two, so you do have to look around - but it's worth it.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement