Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music from the Test Broadcasts?

Options
  • 12-11-2007 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I remember when the original test broadcasts were on 97.3 MHz FM all those years ago, there was some music in the background, and I'd really like to find out who it was by.

The looped test transmission said items like "Text your reception reports to 087 6195171" and "live broadcasting will commence shortly" etc.

The audio had no real lyrics, except a short track with a few vocals saying...
    "na na na na na-na, na na na na..." (I know thats hard to decipher :D) and then short musical strumming/interlude. It was approximately a three minute track that could have been edited down. It was different, as far as I can remember, to the music for the 92.1 FM test broadcast some months later.

I know there were about two songs on this continual loop, so if anyone knows what they are, I'd love to find out. I've looked through my archives, and I can't find the audio anywhere to play for you all. I've been trying to figure this out for well over a year and a half.

Please can someone help! I'm begging you!

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭geekstinkbreath

wasn't it that song that was basically some guy ranting from a phone show like put to that background music, cannae remember the name of it now.
    jeez sorry, i'm a great help! but i think that's what it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

wasn't it that song that was basically some guy ranting from a phone show like put to that background music, cannae remember the name of it now.
    jeez sorry, i'm a great help! but i think that's what it was!
    The song you are thinking of is "69 Police" by David Holmes.
    Sadly, this is not the one I am thinking of.

Thank you, geekstinkbreath, for your response. It is truly appreciated.

Please keep it coming Phantom Folks with your answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I think Simon might be your best bet with this one. I'm sure he'll be around soon to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I know the track you mean, it started off with "I tink all men are scum", and then had a 98fm phone-in show esque face-off between a man and a woman with really sweet music underneath...

..the name is on the tip of my tongue and I can't think of it. I think the band or the song might start with P....Aidan has played it on Icon in the last few months...

Simon will be along at some stage to enlighten us all no doubt... :)

In the meantime, it's gonna wreck my head no end..gah

F

Bingo! We can all thank the genius that is Richie McCormack

It was Patrol, and the song was called September...

I'm glad I wasn't mad with my P theory...

• Advertisement

I've found Patrol, and they are a classic rock and hardcore band. This sadly isn't them.
    Any other ideas?`Sadly, it's not the beatles either! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Hush by Deep Purple maybe??

Dregon, that ain't it. My song I'm thinking of is very mellow.
    Think female vocals. I haven't heard it on other stations.

"I haven't heard it on other stations."

That could be pretty much any track Phantom plays! :p

Ok, we really feel for you here, mate! Simon is pretty sure it's The Redneck Manifesto song "Dillon Family Dancers". In fact, he's extremely confident. :)

It had a kinda of a, eh, plodding sorta rhythm with a falsetto voice repeating "do do do do-eh do"

I've found Patrol, and they are a classic rock and hardcore band. This sadly isn't them.
    Any other ideas?`Sadly, it's not the beatles either! :(

In case it's not Rednecks...I'm not sure this would be how you'd desribe Patrol! Well certainly not that song anyway. It's as far removed from classic rock as you'd get. They were Irish, are ye sure you have the right Patrol?

The song September had a really mellow sound to it, and had "naaa na-na-na-na na-na-na-na, na-naaa na na na naa naa" a few times

• Advertisement

Thats' it!!
    Well, it seems like it!
    Any ideas where I can find their website, or info on albums etc.
    I can't find them on Limewire (as expected), iTunes Store, etc.

Update!!!

Dillion Family Dancers was one of the songs. That featured AFTER (if my mind serves me right) the song I'm talking about, so it could well be the Patrol song! :D

It's all making sense now!

So has anyone even got an mp3 of "September" by Patrol?

Advertisement