Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fonthill Test Routes Wanted

Options
  • 12-11-2007 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

has anyone done the test at Fonthill or know of any route that they take? Like where they do the Reverse round corner, turnabout or hillstart?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Hey, I have my test in Fonthill Wednesday and have never been there b4.

My instructor told me that one of the 'reverse round the corners' has a speed ramp that has to be negotiated.
    They like to pull this one out for a suprise now and again, so dont panic if you get it.

Otherwise I hear it is an ok route (no major hills for hill starts) etc
    If you have time take a few drives thru clondalkin as this is where a good portion of every route goes through....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Thanks, have you had any lessons and if so where did they mainly take you..along what routes or where have you practiced the manoevres?

I live in Kimmage (just up from ye in harolds x) so i went over to terenure / r'mines / rathgar side of town for 2 lessons last week.

needed to iron out the bad habits i gained from 4 years driving and 2 failed tests previously (naas both times - same tester).

The reverse around the corner has the speed bump just prior to the corner (not after)...

Just remember to park in 5 meters away from the corner, and not obstruct an entrance. Also in Fonthill one of the routes negotiates a dual carriageway with a roundabout at the end - I believe the 3rd exit on roundabout at end of dual carriageway is the norm - so take the right lane at end of this stretch (unless youve good reason to be in right lane leading up to rabout).
    sorry for the blabbering but thats what im going from word of mouth....

When are you up? Tell you what, i will post back to this thread on Wednesday afternoon with more concrete detail for you on my route and hope its enough time for you to work on it.

Thanks mate that'd be great

All right Macca, just back from the test and passed :D

Compared to my previous experiences with Naas, it was a breeze out there.

Firstly the tester was sound and put me at ease right away. so hope you get him.

The driving aspect took in a lot of roundabouts (about 6 -7 around the fonthill area), negotiating 1st 2nd and 3rd exits - so you need to tie this down. Also a lot of the test was through housing estates, with speed ramps. So you need to be aware of the speed thru estates. And the only 2 grade 2's I got was for going over the ramps in 3rd gear, so drop it to 2nd when you see them coming up.

Brought on a long stretch of dual carriage way also, with 60km speed limit, i upped it to 5th gear here and that was fine with him. At the end of this there is indeed a right turn at a junction. Filter lane with lights seperate from follow through lights - so I ignored the follow through (or go) arrow, and waited for right turn green arrow - may have got an observational grade 1 mark for this - so suss out when you can turn right at a junction.

Other than than man, the hill start was a gentle slope, the 3/5/7 pt turn was doable in 3 as the road was wide, reverse around corner was gentle as well with observation all round.

Just be confident, it really is a good place to sit the test imo.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for that..will drive out and have a look at the area.

Advertisement