Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating Timeswitch - wiring problem

Options
  • 12-11-2007 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an APT Time clock which consists of a circular clock so you can set the heating to come on/off as well as usual on/off/timer slider

Recently the clock part has stopped moving around so we cannot set the timer; however on/off/timer slider still works

Went to B&Q and bought a digital timeswitch, however the wiring has me confused. When I took off exisiting unit there were three wires one blue and 2 brown which I have established are a neutral and 2 live (live in, live out)

I cannot figure out how to wire in the new digital unit, which has N, L, 1, 2, 3, 4 as possible slots for wires and also suggests L and 1 need a link

I can get the digital unit to have power but the heating does not run or

I get the heating to run but digital timer has no power:mad:

Can anyone (a) help with wiring of new unit or

(b) tell me where I can get new APT unit

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

APT units are available in Kellihers electrical nationwide (also called CT electrical)

You'd be better off posting a picture of the connections so we can aid with the wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Even a URL to the new unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Thanks

The new unit is a Drayton Tempus 1

see attached pdf which includes wiring plan...thanks for any help:)

http://www.invensyscontrolseurope.com/NR/rdonlyres/2D4BAA92-1C15-432A-B346-E7FC823D4D1E/0/Tempus4pp.pdf

Link live-in into connection 1 and connect the 'switched live' (second brown) to 3.

I assume there is an isolation switch with the proper rated fuse up from this unit?

sorry for basic question but what methods are there for "linking"

is it simply getting Live in to pass through both L and 1, i.e. strip off some covering and try to bend wire to pass through both?

or is there some other way?

• Advertisement

Yes, create a link using a piece of wire, but retain the insulation - it is live afterall.
    See the dotted line on the image? That's what you are doing.

ah do you mean a seperate short piece of wire linking L and 1 rather than trying to get the wire itself run through both slots?

Yes. Correct.

Thats great thanks

I'll try that tonight

thanks for all the help:)

No Problem. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

It still did not work, the power gets to the timer unit but the heating does not come on

I may have messed up unit with my inital attempts to sort it:rolleyes:

may try another unit or else just get new APT unit

A bit of troubleshooting will resolve it for you. Do you have a phase tester screw-driver?
    If so, check for power on connection 1 ("COM") and with the timer unset, check that connection 2 ("OFF") has power also, and connection 3 ("ON") should have none.
    Now set and enable the controller (i.e. turn on the heat via the controller by hitting the boost button) and check that connection 2 now has no power and connection 3 is powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Have you lost a neutral You only mention 1 neutral ! It may be linked in somewhere else.
    You should have the live connection coming from the fusebox (1 live, 1 neutral & 1 earth). You should have 1 live, 1 neutral & 1 earth going out to the heating system.
    The 2 earths are together. The 2 neutrals are together on the N connection. The live in is on L and is linked to 1 and the live out to the boiler is on 3.
    Jim.

Advertisement