Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ford mondeo advice

Options
  • 12-11-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

hi....i need some views on the ford mondeo 1.8 petrol 2001 model if anyone can tell me if they experienced any problems...i am thinking of buying a second hand one with 100 thousand miles on the clock...how many more miles on average could i get from this...what wud be a reasonable price this?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A work collegue of mine bought a 2001 Mondeo with 100k miles last year for €4,000. It was a one owner company car and came with a full service history. It is still flying it with no problems.

Like all high mileage cars, service history and maintenance receipts are important. Components like suspension, gearbox and clutch wear out so make sure they are all in working order when buying, that way you can avoid any sudden nasty repair bills.

The model to go for is the Zetec which has the more powerful 125bhp 1.8 litre engine. It also comes with more toys such as alloy wheels, front fog lights and rear electric windows. Avoid the LX model as it pretty poor engine and spec wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Should be looking at around €3k, with service history

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭memeandmark

thanks for replying..its a 1.8 petrol zetec with 103000miles on it...front and rear electrical windows, air con, electrical adjusted chairs, front and rear airbags, would i still only pay aound 4k for this....the price is at 6k...would i be getting ripped off...thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I hate tempting fate but am running a car which *touches wood* is an 01 Zetec Petrol Mondeo and currently has 150k on it...got it 3 years ago with 70k and its been very trustworthy.

6k sounds high for that mileage though, be careful of ex-fleet cars for possible clocking as there's alot about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€6k is too much for a 01 Mondeo especially with 100k miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

bazz26 wrote: »
    €6k is too much for a 01 Mondeo especially with 100k miles.

Sounds a touch high, but am gonna re-value mine now!!

03 with 89k

me and the garage owned it, ex demo model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I ran a 02 petrol mondeo for 2 years, and found it utterly reliable, with the exception of a coil pack (common failing on the mondeo and focus - about €80 + fitting to rectify).
    Other area to look out for is rear subframe bushes which wear out, and can cause tyre wear if left unchecked.

But I think your example is too expensive, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I think the coil pack is going on my focus, it is an 04 1.4, there is an engine warning light that came on at the weekend and flashes at higher revs and the car chugs a bit as well. She has 65,000 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

I had a ford fiesta ('99) and a modeo Zetec ('02), needed to replace the coil packs in both. Common problem but not too expensive to repair.

Advertisement